• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can Non-NV Residents Without Nevada CC Permit OC?

district9

Hi guys. New member, and this is my first post. I want to visit NV this year to get a NV CC Permit. Two questions:

1. Can I OC while in NV prior to receiving my non-resident NV CC Permit?

2. I'm wide open as to where to take the CC course. Would I better off outside the two big metro areas of LV and Reno? Any suggestions as to which county I should apply in?

Thanks.

jfrey123

1. No law really governs OC in Nevada, so let's put it this way: there's no law prohibiting a non-resident from open carrying in the state. There's also no law prohibiting a resident from open carrying, so both the resident and non-resident are in the same category.

2. From stories I've read back and forth various forums, I think it'd be easier to get your non-res permit in Reno. Or maybe to be fair I should say anywhere that isn't Klark Kounty. I'm sure you'd be fine dealing with the Metro PD down there if you chose to do so, but it might go a little faster and easier if you do it in any of the smaller counties.

One example I hear a lot: guys in Clark County have to wait for Metro to send them a permit with updated address in the mail most of the time, whereas in Washoe County up here you can stand in line at the CCW desk and have a new card in about 15 minutes.

district9

Appreciate that info. Thanks. I was actually thinking about maybe somewhere near the UT line like Wendover. That way I could do both courses/permits (NV/UT) assuming there's an instructor there.

crash5150

What about OC in Las Vegas as a non-NV resident and the whole blue card issue. I was reading that the blue card must be with the weapon at all times but how does that apply to a non-resident?

AmbushBug

What about OC in Las Vegas as a non-NV resident and the whole blue card issue. I was reading that the blue card must be with the weapon at all times but how does that apply to a non-resident?

Blue cards not required by law to be carried or stored with the handgun; residents have 60 days to register. There is no law or county ordinance prohibiting open carry, and since there is no law, there's no law against non-residents OCing either. Fully loaded and chambered is okay, no magazine capacity limts. Long guns in vehicles can't have chambered rounds (I think it's a hunting thing). There's an ordinance or something in North Las Vegas which prohibits weapons in vehicles without a concealed weapons permit but NLV is trying its best not to let that one get contested in court (state law is virtually certain to be found to preempt).

Don't carry a handgun concealed in NV without a concealed weapons permit; it's a Felony. Inside a bag or container you are carrying counts ("...carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation"). Also, covered by a jacket or IWB will likely be considered to be concealed. At least, I wouldn't carry IWB. :) OC in a vehicle is OK; covered by a seatbelt is not concealed. No requirement by law to notify an officer you're carrying (concealed or not). And if you're from a state where you think NV might have reciprocity then triple-check it because Nevada has made changes in the last couple years, and I've seen inaccurate reciprocity maps (Idaho comes to mind, NV doesn't recognize Idaho permits yet a map that I have a copy of in my phone says it does).

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

SoLasVegas

Appreciate that info. Thanks. I was actually thinking about maybe somewhere near the UT line like Wendover. That way I could do both courses/permits (NV/UT) assuming there's an instructor there.

Many instructors in NV offer a class that covers both NV and UT permits. They will give you the necessary paperwork to send in to UT. You don't have to take two separate classes.

AmbushBug

Many instructors in NV offer a class that covers both NV and UT permits. They will give you the necessary paperwork to send in to UT. You don't have to take two separate classes.

Florida is offered, too. When you get your fingerprints done you've got to also get extra to send off for those permits.

I think Utah might've just implemented a change in law which requires non-residents to hold the permit in their resident state first before they can get a Utah permit. The instructor would likely be up on this and know for sure.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Blue cards not required by law to be carried or stored with the handgun; residents have 60 days to register.

I believe people must be in Clark for 60 days before it is required. For existing residents who have already existed there for 60 days but newly acquire a handgun, they have 72 hours.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-244.html#NRS244Sec364

Registration in Clark County is also free, and the blue card does not need to be carried with the weapon.

Last edited: