• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro friendly cities and stores

military50

I live south Saint Paul/Minneapolis, and I used to live in Mendota Heights, and now in Burnsville. I personally prefer to OC, but have had incidents in Mendota Heights where I feel that it would just be better off for me to CC.

I was OC to the holiday on Hwy 13 (Very OC friendly btw... to me at least) where I know just about all the employees there. One night I went down there, had just gotten off work doing security, downtown Minneapolis, and was open carrying because it was summer and I didnt want to wear my suit coat anymore. The officer gave me a very startled look, then didnt say anything to me. 2 days later I was pulled over on my way to class in the morning, and the officer approached me, and first question is, "Are you packing right now?" I informed him that I was, and that it was on my right hip, he then asked if I had a permit for it, I informed him that I did, and then he later gave me a ticket because of my license plate not being correctly displayed. Then, 3 days later, I was pulled over by another officer, in the same city, pulled me over leaving Moose County. He grilled me as to why I carry, am I afraid for my life... so on and so forth, and I informed him I work downtown Minneapolis until 3 or 4 in the morning, and the fact that its my right to carry. He then continued to grill me and see how much I drank, and then gave me a PBT, and had a dissapointed look on his face when I didnt blow anywhere near a .04 .

So yeah, thats my little story dealing with them. But back to what I was asking, where around the metro is more OC friendly, because of that incident, I always feel that I need to be careful as to where I OC, otherwise I CC. None the less, I dont mind CC'ing but the fact that I have to decide on how I'm going to dress just so I dont get bugged because I choose to excercise my right to carry is kind of a pain in the ass, and just not right.

xmanhockey7

I may not be from Minnesota but I will be this summer and I open carry in Michigan. I'd say don't let them bother you. Unless your in a business that doesn't allow you to carry, keep on open carrying where its legal. If police have a problem with it well then too bad, don't let them force what they believe on you! Its your right and by letting them get to you they're winning the battle against OC. The way I see it the more you OC can later on help you can others because people will see OC and realize its not a big deal. Good luck to you and cary on.

robdoar

Start carrying a voice recorder, or if you have an android or iphone, get one of the many recording apps like "cop recorder".

Police are in law enforcement, not rights enforcement. Start keeping track of who says what, keep the audio files, and make official complaints to superior officers.

Most police chiefs and sheriffs are very reasonable. We've been able to work with many of then to repair policy/behavior issues amicably. It's their job to make their departments look good.

If continue to get harassed, those audio clips would do wonders in a civil suit.

Last edited:

military50

Thank you very much for all of your input, I will continue to carry on about my business while OC'ing because its my right, and I will be going out an getting a recorder or downloading that app, because I do feel that it will come in handy. Thanks again for all of your input.

Carry on.