View Poll Results: Steve would have been justified in using deadly force?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 22.45%
  • No

34 69.39%
  • I just can't decide...

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wauwatosa man beaten by three teenage girls

Wauwatosa man beaten by three teenage girls

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42793081...-milwaukee_wi/

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-201...,2512261.story

Had "Steve" been carrying, would he have been justified using deadly force?

He never should have exited his car. Could have safely called 911 from inside and not endangered his mother or son.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

McX
    Headline for me would have read; 3 girls assault older male, he draws his gun, and they scatter. But i would have been innocent of instigation, and not made any comment to those thug females, nor gotten out of my car to confront them, so i guess my scenario would have never happened (?)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    i would not have gotten out of the car and just simply drove away while calling the police to report it i will agree with handy and MCX never would of happened

on a side note i wonder if they would of even confronted him if he was OCing
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 04-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

First of all, Steve was not in his car when this started.
    It was Saturday evening when he, his 14-year old son, and his 84-year old mother were leaving the Bluemound Gardens restaurant. They noticed a group of teenage girls, ages 16 to 18, swearing and making a scene in the parking lot. Words were exchanged
    indicates that he was on his way back to his car when -

- he instigated the confrontation by saying something to the female youts* (probably about the caliber of their language)

- the female youts jumped him

- his son went back into the restaurant to call the cops, after having tried to convince Steve to keep his comments to himself

Seeing as how Steve (1) instigated the confrontation and (2) never retreated and declared he wanted no more [admittedly Virginia case law but a good indicator of how to stop being the instigator or a mutual combatant] I'd say he had very little to justify or excuse the use of deadly force. Nothing indicates that he was made defenseless or that the attack was so overwhelmingly violent. (And yes, I'm using hindsight here because the OP invited me to review the information and then decide.)

Yes, a lot of us are more than a tad bit upset by the foul mouths on some youts and others, and have a hard time keeping out pie holes shut and refraining from sharing our opinion that those foul-mouthed boors ought to ****. But the "correct" thing to do is to call the cops and complain about the behavior in the hopes that the cops will arrive in time to hear them and arrest them for whatever law there is on the books against such behavior (disturbing the peace, public cursing, disturbing the Sabbath, etc.). And it helps to do that sotto voce so as not to give the foul-mouthed youts an excuse to "discuss" the matter with you. Having an audio recorder - or better yet an audiovidio recorder - would be helpful when/if the cops show up.

In other words, discretion and the rest of that saying. At times it is in fact the better way.

stay safe.

Lets not forget he was jumped after...

Then Steve did something his teenage son warned him not to do, he got out of the car, and offered the girl his handkerchief. "I was holding it out to her, I said 'Here, you can wipe that off now'...(she replied) '$%# no."
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

McX
    [QUOTE=oliverclotheshoff;1518959]i would not have gotten out of the car and just simply drove away while calling the police to report it i will agree with handy and MCX never would of happened

would have been a good one to see them clamber onto the Rex's running boards, then get a gander of my rapid open case being deployed. dank yoo come agin.

added on edit; Parents, it's after X p.m. do you know where your rotten kids are?
    Last edited by McX; 04-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    The question of whether deadly force was justified will be a decision made by the police, THE MEDIA, then the DA, and then perhaps a jury.

Given that even if a jury would find your use of force justified, you will go through an experience no one would ever want to go through to get there.... (financial ruin)

Given that EVEN people who were never arrested and never charged suggest that using deadly force was an experience they would never want to go through again (court of public opinion)

The question we should all be asking ourselves when we think of situations and scenario's is NOT whether deadly force would be justified. It is whether deadly force can be avoided and to avoid ALL conflict whenever possible.

The judgment of whether the use of deadly force was justified will be arbitrary. One jury may find one way, one jury another. A DA in Milwaukee may decide to charge what a DA in Waukesha would not.

The whole "armed society is a polite society" isn't true because you get to shoot someone who is rude to you.... Its true because when you are armed, you know its BETTER to let someone be rude to you than instigate an armed conflict. And as such you avoid conflict at all costs. Every conflict you have, verbal or otherwise, is an armed conflict if you are armed.

I don't know what a jury would decide about this guy's case.

I don't know what a DA would decide about this guy's case.

I DO KNOW that whatever would be decided, if it were me, and I were ARMED OR NOT, I'd NEVER engage a bunch of punk kids. If they are enough of a bunch of punks to be shouting obscenities in a parking lot, they aren't going to listen to a reasonable person asking them to stop.

What the hell was this guy thinking engaging a bunch of punk kids? Did he think they would all say "hey, that guy is right, we are acting like hooligans" and apologize?

Get real.

This guy was STUPID. Perhaps dumber than the thugs that beat on him. He knew better, they probably didn't. He has something to lose going to jail, they probably don't.

Unless these thugs were actively putting someone else's life/safety in danger, he should have got in his car and called police as he drove away. If they spit on his car he could have had the last laugh when the police were stuffing them in the back of a squad car for disorderly conduct.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Obviously the man didn't receive anything more than bumps and bruises due to the altercation so it would be hard to claim he was in fear of "imminent death or great bodily harm."
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    Obviously the man didn't receive anything more than bumps and bruises due to the altercation so it would be hard to claim he was in fear of "imminent death or great bodily harm."
    At what point during the incident do you have to make the decision i fear imminent death or great bodily harm?

Before or after you get hit in the melon with a brick?

I agree with McX,

All he would have had to do is draw and they would have scattered. Then again, if he was openly carrying, I am sure that this would have never gotten that far.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Three punks beating on you can easily be enough for someone to be scared for their life. I mean you don't know what they are capable of, you're outnumbered, and what happens if they were to knock you down? Plenty of people that fall down in these gang beatings get kicked and stomped on, and all it would have taken is one of the girls to trip you and good luck trying to recover.

I don't agree with him confronting them like that, but being jumped by three people is easy enough to be scared of grievous bodily harm as you don't know what the gang will do to a single person and if the mob mentality will take over where they won't stop beating someone until the person is seriously hurt, dead, or someone else stops them.

So confronting is bad, but 3v1 is also bad. And hindsight is always 20/20 so you need to look at what information was available at the time.

There isnt enough there to use deadly force...but that doesnt mean
    you still cant defend yourself.

Great Spirit gave us 2 hands and 2 feet for a reason.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Lets just say I wouldn't be sad if he did use deadly force. He wasn't smart with the way he handled it, but that doesn't mean he deserved a beating or should just lay there and take the beating.

Our laws are out of whack in terms of self defense. This guy would have probably gone to prison if he chose not to be a victim. How sad.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post

Great Spirit gave us 2 hands and 2 feet for a reason.

LR Yote

And 3 or 4 tons of gas petal.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    And 3 or 4 tons of gas petal.
    I handled some bully's in high-school that way. A 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 makes a great equalizer. Several large football players were going to kick my arse. I made it to the car and turned the tables on them. Never had a problem after that.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm1963 View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42793081...-milwaukee_wi/

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-201...,2512261.story

Had "Steve" been carrying, would he have been justified using deadly force?

NO

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

That poor man is still under the delusion that other kids will behave properly (in a socially-acceptable manner) if reminded of their manners by an adult.
    His son obviously knows better, probably being in school with girls like those.

Reporting the girls to police, without confronting them, would be safest.
    Having a video record (as the waitress did - quick thinking!) to show police would be great.

But I see many of us here complaining about the 'nanny state', where people don't do for themselves.
    So where's that line?
    Approach the girls, tell them their behaviour is unacceptable, shoo them away?
    Or tell the police they're making a disturbance & let them handle it? (If they get there before the girls get tired of their game, and if they witness any of the disorderly conduct.)

I think someone OCing would not have been attacked, and might even have gotten the girls to leave.
    Might I have put a hand on the grip? Yes, along with holding up a "stop" hand & telling them to stay away as I back off.
    Don't have to draw, and in the news video I've seen I saw no reason to consider drawing.
    Would I have hit back if attacked? Heck yeah. Quickly & effectively. 3 on 1, I don't care if they're "only" teens. (Late teens, from news reports.)

But I think the confidence of being able to handle the situation if it devolved would have made the girls pause, maybe reconsider their actions. Works with other criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

It would make me want to do some old fashioned butt whipping. But no to brandishing or using a firearm. If one of the thugs had a weapon, a gun, a brick, or a 2x4, then possibly drawing a weapon would be justified. But I cringe to think of appearing in court with the thugs looking like young Amish girls to the jury. I most likely would have drove away. And I would not have confronted them in the first place. No point.

No way...

Drive away. What does a 50 something guy have to prove to a bunch of punk girls anyway...? If you have the choice to pick your battles, this one should have been left alone.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

The guy stuck his nose where it CLEARLY did not belong. This shouldnt even be a question really.
    I agree Hardballer, what was there to prove?

He needs to turn in his "man card" Now ! letting 3 girls beat you up ???? LOL I was always taught not to hit a girl, until she hits me first-then that gentleman crap gets thrown out the window in a hurry... That's why I have a Baseball bat next to my drivers seat in my Van....I will not lose a fight & I will not be beaten up by some freeking teen age girls.

But I agree with those that said..I would have just kept on going...
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 04-29-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

He looked like a nice mild mannered slight built fella, that's why he got targeted. If he looked like a big ass biker, like Glock34, they wouldn't have been trying to prove how bad they thought they were. I probably would have took the pic first with my phone and then asked her WTF? A nice dose of pepper spray would have ended that pretty quickly. A less lethal option is handy in those situations and you probably would get off easy with the disparity of force of 3-5 against one. OC would have definitely thwarted it before it started but you can't OC while sitting in your car unfortunately.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    He looked like a nice mild mannered slight built fella, that's why he got targeted. If he looked like a big ass biker, like Glock34, they wouldn't have been trying to prove how bad they thought they were. I probably would have took the pic first with my phone and then asked her WTF? A nice dose of pepper spray would have ended that pretty quickly. A less lethal option is handy in those situations and you probably would get off easy with the disparity of force of 3-5 against one. OC would have definitely thwarted it before it started but you can't OC while sitting in your car unfortunately.
    lol
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    A less lethal option is handy in those situations and you probably would get off easy with the disparity of force of 3-5 against one.
    Oh really?
    I assure you I am more lethal than pepper spray. It's just that girls kind of scare me.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast