Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenage prank ends with shots fired in quiet neighborhood

Teenage prank ends with shots fired in quiet neighborhood

The man in this story chased one of the boys a block and a half and then shot him twice in the back.

PLYMOUTH, N.C. - The mother of a 14-yr.-old boy says her son is lucky to be alive after pulling a prank on a neighbor.
    http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/apr/2.../#comment_form

Hope he has a good lawyer. Chasing someone almost two blocks away is no longer self defense. IMO.
    Walk softly and carry a large caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Carry24/7 View Post
    Hope he has a good lawyer. Chasing someone almost two blocks away is no longer self defense. IMO.
    +1
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Actually I hope the shooter gets a really INCOMPETENT lawyer and in convicted of the most serious crime they can find on the books...

Anyone who would chase a couple teenagers two blocks, and shoot them with an AR-15 for "knock and ditch" is obviously a danger to society.

I'm all for "home defense", but I'm also a strong proponent of severely punishing the chronically and dangerously stupid, which this "homeowner" obviously is...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Actually I hope the shooter gets a really INCOMPETENT lawyer and in convicted of the most serious crime they can find on the books...

Anyone who would chase a couple teenagers two blocks, and shoot them with an AR-15 for "knock and ditch" is obviously a danger to society.

I'm all for "home defense", but I'm also a strong proponent of severely punishing the chronically and dangerously stupid, which this "homeowner" obviously is...
    A big 10-4 on that one.... this guy needs to go down the river. 1.) chasing off property 2.) shooting in back 3.) coming out of house in the first place...

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200.

Banned
    Bet they wont do that again.

Banned
    I love the way they portray what the kids did as "normal" for teenagers. Ringing doorbells at midnight on Sunday. That's normal for unsupervised, unparented teenagers!

Not that they deserved to be shot. I just hold "mom" as responsible for what almost happened to her son as I do the moron who thought he could legally chase down these perps and shoot them.

Candidates for Darwin Awards all!

Banned
    He shouldnt have shot them, that was way out of line, but its not telling the whole story here. I dont think that was the only thing the only time, or the only ones that were causing problems.

The kids deserved an ass whipping, that's all.

I got my fair share after pulling stunts like this, glad I never got shot
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

If getting chased and shot in the back with an AR-15 is the punishment for ding-dong-ditch, than I can't imagine the punishment I would get when my friends and I toilet papered houses years back. Jeez.

Sounded like the kid only had fragments in his back... seems hard to believe 2 shots in the back with AR .223 would be not that big of a deal and kid released.... who knows.. but I wonder if the guy shot AT the kid and fragments riccocheted off the pavement? Who knows... not making excuses for the moron... just wondering.

Banned
    Good point. Could have been warning shots. Still irresponsible, (and effective), but it changes things dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Bet they wont do that again.
    Agreed, their actions did not deserve getting shot but I think he wont be playing pranks on anyone from now on.
    Last edited by zack991; 05-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Banned
    Real-world consequences are rarely the result of thoughtfulness, but, for some strange reason, they communicate so much more clearly than the well-thought-out consequences assigned by parents, teachers, or the legal system.

Was my son

The shooter was thankfully using cheap bullets that did not explode upon impact. It is not fragments, but a bullet is stuck in that young man's back forever. It is to close to a major nerve to remove. I do not live in that neighborhood but know, that its a nice one. We know our kids were stupid, immature, dumb and any other word to explain how we feel about them doing this. No, they haven't been in trouble before. What the news story failed to report is, after the man shot the boy (who is 5ft 1 and weighs about 100 pounds) he made him get up out of the street and march the block and a half to his house where he held him at gun point threatening to blow his bleep brains out until the police arrived. Can you imagine the terror that child felt? I know the terror my son felt has changed him alot, and he only got shot at, not shot. The shooter shot 3 times and 2 of the 3 bullets found a target. So, I ask you, was he trying to shoot that young man or not? I understand wanting to protect your property, but they rang his doorbell and went and hid behind a bush away from his house. He came outside armed and chased them a block and a half before he even started shooting. What are you protecting at that point?

He shouldnt have shot them, that was way out of line, but its not telling the whole story here. I dont think that was the only thing the only time, or the only ones that were causing problems.
    Your right, the whole story would have included the kidnapping after the fact.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb914 View Post
    ..snip....
    Please sir, explain the title line "Was my son".

Are you saying that this incident happened to your son?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

It's mam and yes my son was the other child who didn't get shot, but shot at.

Banned
    The universal position of gunowners on the situation here is that the shooters actions were criminal, psychotic, cruel, irresponsible and so on. Gun owners have zero tolerance for such behavior. We may debate on what was left out of the story, media seldom treats the gun owner and the gangster differently, we may debate on whether the person who was shot deserved it, or was asking for it, but we dont condone what he did. If 99.9% of gunowners were on a jury, we would convict him without reservation. We try to police ourselves for two main reasons. First and foremost, we are people, civilized, normal people. We are parents, we are police, we are military, husbands fathers, and sons. We care. And secondly, we police ourselves to avoid tragedies that put our rights in danger. Nuts are everywhere, no law can prevent that, no law can prevent a person from behaving irresponsibly with any object, gun, car, what have you. This kind of lunatic is WHY we carry and own guns, so we can protect ourselves and families from folks like this. Believe me, I carry a gun every day, and If I had been on the scene and saw him raise a gun against your unarmed boy, I would have dropped him where he stood. I sincerely hope that you do not blame guns or gun owners for what happened here, he is NOT one of us, and if he had a bat or a sword, he would surely have used that instead. I do hope that all works well for you and yours.

Banned
    Thank you for coming to our forum so that your voice can be heard, believe me, your thoughts and opinions are indeed welcome here.

Thank you for coming to our forum so that your voice can be heard, believe me, your thoughts and opinions are indeed welcome here.
    My husband and I are gun owners. We know we need them for protection. I blame the nut who used his gun out of nothing but anger and hate. It took 13 days for the police to press charges on him. This has been a nightmare. But we will not rest until justice is served.

I'm more surprised that they didn't try for attempted murder. I know I'd be going after it from what happened. Utterly ridiculous that the guy did what he did.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwb914 View Post
    It's mam and yes my son was the other child who didn't get shot, but shot at.
    A frightful and unfortunate situation that should have never occurred. So many things wrong on so many levels, none of which warranted use of force.

You have my profound best wishes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I love the way they portray what the kids did as "normal" for teenagers. Ringing doorbells at midnight on Sunday. That's normal for unsupervised, unparented teenagers!

Not that they deserved to be shot. I just hold "mom" as responsible for what almost happened to her son as I do the moron who thought he could legally chase down these perps and shoot them.

Candidates for Darwin Awards all!
    Really? I'm sure you or your children never did anythng stupid in your life right? Fourteen year olds have no common sense, and do not think their actions through. Neither one of them are from broken homes, yes my son snuck out of his friends house, but to ring a doorbell! Yes, it was stupid and immature but I don't think being chased down like animals and shot and shot at a block and a half away from his house was the price they needed to pay for ringing a doorbell. You can hold me responsible all you want, I do not care. Now if he was sneaking out to buy drugs or drink or destroy property then I might have been even angrier than I was. Bottom line is this was a hate crime and it will never be tried as such.

Banned
    Your posting here says good things about you as a parent, and as a person. I did things my parents didnt want me to at that age, sometimes because they didnt want me to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast