• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teenage prank ends with shots fired in quiet neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwb914

Thank you for coming to our forum so that your voice can be heard, believe me, your thoughts and opinions are indeed welcome here.

My husband and I are gun owners. We know we need them for protection. I blame the nut who used his gun out of nothing but anger and hate. It took 13 days for the police to press charges on him. This has been a nightmare. But we will not rest until justice is served.

chakragod

I'm more surprised that they didn't try for attempted murder. I know I'd be going after it from what happened. Utterly ridiculous that the guy did what he did.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's mam and yes my son was the other child who didn't get shot, but shot at.

A frightful and unfortunate situation that should have never occurred. So many things wrong on so many levels, none of which warranted use of force.

You have my profound best wishes.

mwb914

I love the way they portray what the kids did as "normal" for teenagers. Ringing doorbells at midnight on Sunday. That's normal for unsupervised, unparented teenagers!

Not that they deserved to be shot. I just hold "mom" as responsible for what almost happened to her son as I do the moron who thought he could legally chase down these perps and shoot them.

Candidates for Darwin Awards all!

Really? I'm sure you or your children never did anythng stupid in your life right? Fourteen year olds have no common sense, and do not think their actions through. Neither one of them are from broken homes, yes my son snuck out of his friends house, but to ring a doorbell! Yes, it was stupid and immature but I don't think being chased down like animals and shot and shot at a block and a half away from his house was the price they needed to pay for ringing a doorbell. You can hold me responsible all you want, I do not care. Now if he was sneaking out to buy drugs or drink or destroy property then I might have been even angrier than I was. Bottom line is this was a hate crime and it will never be tried as such.

eye95

My husband and I are gun owners. We know we need them for protection. I blame the nut who used his gun out of nothing but anger and hate. It took 13 days for the police to press charges on him. This has been a nightmare. But we will not rest until justice is served.

I blame YOU in part. Why was your son out unsupervised at midnight on Sunday doing this?

hermannr

Went I was about 10 or 11 (about 1958 or so) my buddy and I were shot at by an old grouch.. why? if I remember correctly I think we were fishing in his private pond. He shot at us with a shotgun loaded with unpoped popcorn. (found some in the pocket of our rain slickers that is how we know what it was) The popcorn just bounced off the rain slickers, but boy did he scare us...never did go fishing in that pond again though...never told our parents either.

Now that I am the grouchy old man myself; but I would never think of actually shooting anything at a kid that was running away. I really feel sorry for the kids getting shot with real live ammo. I think two things will probably be learned. First, the kids might think a little before they do something they know they shouldn't, and second, the guy that shot them will never be able to own a firearm himself again...hard way to learn, but he obviously does not have the good judgement necessary to be a responsible owner, and it is people like him that provide foder for the antis

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I blame YOU in part. Why was your son out unsupervised at midnight on Sunday doing this?

Bearing some responsibility is not exactly the same as blame. They apparently felt there was adequate supervision at the friends home - from which they sneaked out.

Being a good parent takes a lot of work and a certain measure of luck. IMHO the "blame" for the extreme response to these poorly thought out acts lies solely with the one introducing deadly force to the equation.

eye95

Bearing some responsibility is not exactly the same as blame. They apparently felt there was adequate supervision at the friends home - from which they sneaked out.

Being a good parent takes a lot of work and a certain measure of luck. IMHO the "blame" for the extreme response to these poorly thought out acts lies solely with the one introducing deadly force to the equation.

I understand what you are saying, but I stand by my comment. Kids need a lot more parenting than they are getting these days. Those parents need to start looking inward when bad things happen.

The parent can't influence the behavior of the jerk with the gun. The extent of their influence (not control) will be on their children's behavior. Yet this parent's focus is external.

I used to teach my students all the time that effective people internalize solutions. Ineffective people (including ineffective parents) externalize problems. Ineffective parents have a much higher incidence of jailed and dead kids than do effective parents.

sharkey

Even perfect parents can have bad kids.

Not that ding dong ditch is really that bad. I used to climb up on the ledge above the door and ring the bell with a stick. They could be staring out the peep hole and never see who was ringing the doorbell. :lol: Their faces must have been priceless when they'd walk out looking around.

mwb914

He was at his friends house spending the night. They waited unitl his friends grandparetnts went to sleep. Thus the word SNUCK. If they had been unsupervised they wouldn't have SNUCK out of the house. Maybe I should let the world know the next coming of Christ is coming since you obviously are the only other perfect person to have lived on the earth. And it was Sunday morning. Maybe I need to explain to you that 12 a.m. on a Saturday night is really Sunday morning. And I don't care if you blame me, so be it. But I'm not into chaining my children to a bed since thats child abuse in this country.

mwb914

Even perfect parents can have bad kids.

Not that ding dong ditch is really that bad. I used to climb up on the ledge above the door and ring the bell with a stick. They could be staring out the peep hole and never see who was ringing the doorbell. :lol: Their faces must have been priceless when they'd walk out looking around.

Its stupid yes, but when did that stop kids? Kids do idiotic things all the time, most of them don't have to pay for it with getting shot and shot at. If the man had just scared the heck out of them, I would have thanked him personally. But he was angry that they were getting away, so he started shooting. The first bullet went by my son's head ( he felt it) so he ran in a backyard, and the other two hit his friend in the back. I don't think that man needs to be walking the streets He's dangerous to society. They're not bad kids at all. Stupid yes, bad no. Me and the kids in my neighborhood used to knock and run too, in the daylight of all times (like our neighbors wouldn't know who we were) we stopped after our parents got ahold of us lol :uhoh::lol:

mwb914

I understand what you are saying, but I stand by my comment. Kids need a lot more parenting than they are getting these days. Those parents need to start looking inward when bad things happen.

The parent can't influence the behavior of the jerk with the gun. The extent of their influence (not control) will be on their children's behavior. Yet this parent's focus is external.

I used to teach my students all the time that effective people internalize solutions. Ineffective people (including ineffective parents) externalize problems. Ineffective parents have a much higher incidence of jailed and dead kids than do effective parents.
External .. Really? Look, maybe you think I should drop the situation because my child snuck out of a house. Well, yes he did wrong and he's been on intense punishment for sneaking out. What do you propose I do? Move his bed into our room at night? You don't take priveledges away until they break trust (and he has). I"m with my children all the time. I take them to school, pick them up, I am never at work unless they are in school. They are not and never have been latch key children. Are you saying you've never done anything in your life that was stupid? You can say it all you want but I don't beleive it. What is going to jail for? Ringing a doorbell? He's a good kid, but he's still a KID. Even though he's 14 he's still a kid because we've raised him that way. He's not drinking and smoking like alot of other kids his age. If every kid had to die or be jailed for doing something childish, then I guess our poulation would be cut in half in ten years. With your attitude I hope you don't have kids. I'd feel sorry for them.

stainless1911

Banned
Thus the word SNUCK. If they had been unsupervised they wouldn't have SNUCK out of the house. Maybe I should let the world know the next coming of Christ is coming since you obviously are the only other perfect person to have lived on the earth.

Amen to that. Don't worry about eye, he's being a jerk lately. I'd like to see this guy locked up for this, and I find it appalling that it took 2 weeks for the police to file charges, that's ridiculous.

Eye, whats your deal? Kids do sneak out, they are not necessarily responsible, which is why we don't let them drink, smoke, drive, buy guns, or get laid. They all do these things, true, but that's why we have parents. If she wasnt being responsible then, although I don't believe that's the case, she is now.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Cheap Bullets

Kind of off topic, but what are: "The shooter was thankfully using cheap bullets that did not explode upon impact."
What civilian bullets "explode on contact"? Only military .50 cal and bigger have the ability to "explode". All NATO 9mm and 5.56mm are FMJ. But back on topic, this guy is a nut job for chasing anybody for two blocks and shooting at their back. Lock him up!

mwb914

Semi-automatic rifles, including commercial versions of the AR-15, ... such bullets can often fail to fragment upon impact by virtue of failing to impact ...
guns.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Rifle - Cached - Similar I worded it the wrong way sorry.

mwb914

Oh we know. My husband is an avid hunter, and we own guns ourselves. But I googled the story of my son the other day and found this thread, and wanted to set the record straight. This maniac wasn't defending his family or property. Yes our kids were stupid to the 9th degree and I let him know that at least once a day. He knew the were children when he went after them. The other child is VERY small for his age and looks maybe 11 if that. I just don't appreciate some of the thoughts that they got what they deserved. They deserved an ass kicking, not almost dying!!!!

stainless1911

Banned
I'm on your side here 100%. Im on guard against crimes like this, and how they affect gun rights. Its just something like this that give fuel to the brady arguments against black rifles, magazines, registration, blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.