Thread: Is it OK to OC in State Parks?

Is it OK to OC in State Parks?

Is it OK to OC in VA State Parks? I did some searches, but I didn't find anything conclusive about whether it is acceptable now or not. This isn't during hunting season or anything like that. I am curious because I will be going to First Landing State Park in June, and want to know what the law is.

Thanks for the help!
    Glenn

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...........

Glen, come on buddy. Get with the program. A google search would have probably answered your question.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by T Dubya; 04-28-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Add link

Hi T Dubya,

Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't answer my question. The first hit (the VCDL blog) is from 2008, and it suggests not OCing until there is more info.

I THINK that OCing in State Parks is now acceptable, but if I recall correctly there was some sort of time period to wait before the new law went into affect.

The VCDL website says that "- State Parks: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC5-30-200)". Maybe this is outdated.

So, I would like some more definitive info. I did run some searches but did not find the info I was looking for.

Glenn

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Well...I was going to fuss because you didn't use the forum search but it seems to have gotten worse.

John, the search function sucks!

The answer to your question is yes you can carry OC or CC with or without a permit in State Parks.

McDonnell threw the gun community a very small bone and issued a directive to the State Parks system to not enforce the Gun Rule.

Now you know who and what...you'll have to find your own cite.

Thanks for the info, Peter. That's what I thought.

Glenn

Thanks Peter. I searched for it too but the search function wouldn't find it for me.

Here you go:
    http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=14664

Virginia: McDonnell ends ban on guns in state parks

Gov. Bob McDonnell is ending a longstanding ban on firearms carried openly in Virginia state parks. The Republican governor ordered Conservation and Recreation Department Director David Johnson to immediately stop enforcing the ban in a Jan. 14 letter.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    you can carry OC or CC with or without a permit in State Parks.
    cite?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    cite?
    Read the post above Ed
    Now you know who and what...you'll have to find your own cite
    You can't cite what isn't law yet and your starting to sound like Notvacop.

Nevermind...I see, your nitpicking..I think everyone else understood it.

If you have sold your soul to to Satin and have a CHP...You can Conceal your gun or Open Carry it.
    If you are a free Virginian and refuse to be licensed and wish to remain legal...you can Open Carry.
    If you just don't give a crap, you can do either without a permit as long as you don't get caught.

This NOT law yet, it is an Administrative action by the Governor!
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-29-2011 at 04:06 PM.

If you just don't give a crap, you can do either without a permit as long as you don't get caught.
    Are you advocating that law abiding gun owners NOT be?
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

I believe he said that they can do either. I don't believe he said that they could do so legally.

Pretty much anyone who is physically able to carry a firearm is physically able to do so either openly or concealed. Being able to do so does not mean that it can be done legally.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I believe he said that they can do either. I don't believe he said that they could do so legally.

Pretty much anyone who is physically able to carry a firearm is physically able to do so either openly or concealed. Being able to do so does not mean that it can be done legally.
    Thanks grylnsmn nap
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Don't start Ed! You know damn well what I meant.

Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

hate to interrupt the banter,

one thing i have found out recently is , you have got to figure out if it's a state, federal, national, or army corp park. each one can be different rules. and is there still something about forest lands?

is that "not enforcing the law" , like the NC Governor not enforcing the state of emergency ban on firearms? not changing the law, just not taking any action on it
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Papa bear - There is activity in the underbrush to deal with the currently conflicting laws/rules/regulations about CC vs OC in state-controlled venues. Until that gets hashed out the Governor has decided to exercise his executive powers by telling his Cabinet officers to not enforce certain rules/regulations promulgated by their agencies. He knows he cannot tell folks not to enforce laws and expect to get away with that, let alone expect them to obey a patently illegal order. Yeah, it's semantics but that's what makes it all so much fun, no?

But as to your caution about knowing who's in control of the land you are standing on - a very good point. Thanks for the reminder.

stay safe.

To be honest (and logical) the only places one shouldn't carry their guns are:

A) In swimming pools, (but ok on deck) and
    B) Inside magnetic Scanners at the hospital

HTH.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 04-30-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    To be honest (and logical) the only places one shouldn't carry their guns are:

A) In swimming pools, (but ok on deck) and
    That's what Glocks are for
    Last edited by t33j; 04-30-2011 at 11:29 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

John, the search function sucks!.
    For this site or any other where the search function is sub-par, copy 'n paste the last paragraph string into your search engine address window, hit return and it'll open up a separate window for you to enter your search keywords. The search will be performed at the domain root level. You'll see better results than any search function vBulletin has ever provided as part of their forum management software package.

Of course, the prudent observer will note that it's easy enough to build a bookmark with the little JavaScript code so it'll always be instantly available to supplement sucky search engines.

Being a Mac user, and at home on the weekend without a PC, I haven't troubleshot the code on a PC browser to ensure it'll work properly. If it doesn't, I'll refine and/or rewrite at work tomorrow.

javascript:Qr=prompt('Search%20Site%20for','');if( Qr)location.href='http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:'+encodeURIComponent(window.locatio n.hostname)+'+'+escape(Qr)
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    That's what Glocks are for
    i was actually trying to decide if i should carry while i was kayaking. i have put a pocket gun in a zip loc or since some of them are stainless i just give them a good cleaning right away, but there is that losing thing when you tip over

skidmark , that governor thing was my poor attempt at being glib
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i was actually trying to decide if i should carry while i was kayaking. i have put a pocket gun in a zip loc or since some of them are stainless i just give them a good cleaning right away, but there is that losing thing when you tip over
    When I'm kayaking I carry either a LCP in my pocket, or more often a USP compact in a dry box or bag just behind me. The box floats with all my stuff in it so I'm not too worried about loosing it. I've never tested the bag.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

... sold your soul to to Satin and have a CHP...
    Satin is that anything like silk?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Satin is that anything like silk?
    Blame the spellchecker, not the person not paying attention to what it changed to.

Next thing you'll be talking about counting your change at Walmart.