• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it OK to OC in State Parks?

GLW

Is it OK to OC in VA State Parks? I did some searches, but I didn't find anything conclusive about whether it is acceptable now or not. This isn't during hunting season or anything like that. I am curious because I will be going to First Landing State Park in June, and want to know what the law is.

Thanks for the help!
Glenn

GLW

Hi T Dubya,

Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't answer my question. The first hit (the VCDL blog) is from 2008, and it suggests not OCing until there is more info.

I THINK that OCing in State Parks is now acceptable, but if I recall correctly there was some sort of time period to wait before the new law went into affect.

The VCDL website says that "- State Parks: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC5-30-200)". Maybe this is outdated.

So, I would like some more definitive info. I did run some searches but did not find the info I was looking for.

Glenn

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well...I was going to fuss because you didn't use the forum search but it seems to have gotten worse.

John, the search function sucks!

The answer to your question is yes you can carry OC or CC with or without a permit in State Parks.

McDonnell threw the gun community a very small bone and issued a directive to the State Parks system to not enforce the Gun Rule.

Now you know who and what...you'll have to find your own cite.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here you go:
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=14664

Virginia: McDonnell ends ban on guns in state parks​

Gov. Bob McDonnell is ending a longstanding ban on firearms carried openly in Virginia state parks. The Republican governor ordered Conservation and Recreation Department Director David Johnson to immediately stop enforcing the ban in a Jan. 14 letter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Read the post above Ed:banghead:
Now you know who and what...you'll have to find your own cite
You can't cite what isn't law yet and your starting to sound like Notvacop.

Nevermind...I see, your nitpicking..I think everyone else understood it.

If you have sold your soul to to Satin and have a CHP...You can Conceal your gun or Open Carry it.
If you are a free Virginian and refuse to be licensed and wish to remain legal...you can Open Carry.
If you just don't give a crap, you can do either without a permit as long as you don't get caught.

This NOT law yet, it is an Administrative action by the Governor!

Last edited:

grylnsmn

Are you advocating that law abiding gun owners NOT be?:exclaim:

I believe he said that they can do either. I don't believe he said that they could do so legally.

Pretty much anyone who is physically able to carry a firearm is physically able to do so either openly or concealed. Being able to do so does not mean that it can be done legally.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
silly-kid-sticking-out-tongue.jpg

papa bear

hate to interrupt the banter,

one thing i have found out recently is , you have got to figure out if it's a state, federal, national, or army corp park. each one can be different rules. and is there still something about forest lands?

is that "not enforcing the law" , like the NC Governor not enforcing the state of emergency ban on firearms? not changing the law, just not taking any action on it

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Papa bear - There is activity in the underbrush to deal with the currently conflicting laws/rules/regulations about CC vs OC in state-controlled venues. Until that gets hashed out the Governor has decided to exercise his executive powers by telling his Cabinet officers to not enforce certain rules/regulations promulgated by their agencies. He knows he cannot tell folks not to enforce laws and expect to get away with that, let alone expect them to obey a patently illegal order. Yeah, it's semantics but that's what makes it all so much fun, no?

But as to your caution about knowing who's in control of the land you are standing on - a very good point. Thanks for the reminder.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

To be honest (and logical) the only places one shouldn't carry their guns are:

A) In swimming pools, (but ok on deck) and
B) Inside magnetic Scanners at the hospital

HTH. :)

Last edited:

Felix

John, the search function sucks!.

For this site or any other where the search function is sub-par, copy 'n paste the last paragraph string into your search engine address window, hit return and it'll open up a separate window for you to enter your search keywords. The search will be performed at the domain root level. You'll see better results than any search function vBulletin has ever provided as part of their forum management software package.

Of course, the prudent observer will note that it's easy enough to build a bookmark with the little JavaScript code so it'll always be instantly available to supplement sucky search engines.

Being a Mac user, and at home on the weekend without a PC, I haven't troubleshot the code on a PC browser to ensure it'll work properly. If it doesn't, I'll refine and/or rewrite at work tomorrow.

javascript:Qr=prompt('Search%20Site%20for','');if(Qr)location.href='http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:'+encodeURIComponent(window.location.hostname)+'+'+escape(Qr)