• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Brother Sam: Wal-Mart to videotape gun buyers

Sc0tt

Who Cares? If I am buying my gun legally why would I car if someone videotapes me doing it? (every time I OC in walmart I know that the LP guy is wearing out the joystick in the servialince room following me around)

And who even buys guns from walmart anyways, all they have are 2nd rate shot guns around here.

KBCraig

Big deal. They video tape every person that buys toilet paper too! (every cash register has a camera on it...).

I would bet that places like Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro Shops do the same thing.

Any FFL with a lick of sense has a top-rate video system that records everyone who enters the store, what they look at, and what they buy. And where it's legal, they should record audio as well, especially of the transaction.

They need it more for protection from ATF straw buyer stings, than from theft.

N605TW

Activist Member
I bought a little .22 rifle from Walmart a few months ago. It is not like they are keeping this a secret, there was a sign right next to the gun case that said "Smile, all firearm purchases are video recorded." As for them selling second rate guns, I must have gotten lucky as my cheap .22 shoots 2" groups at 100 yards for under $100 I'm not complaining. Just to make this post relevant to the website, I was open carrying my G17 at the time of purchase. :lol:

Blk97F150

Any FFL with a lick of sense has a top-rate video system that records everyone who enters the store, what they look at, and what they buy. And where it's legal, they should record audio as well, especially of the transaction.

Most retail stores these days merge the cash register transactions to the video cameras... anything that shows up on the receipt also gets tagged as 'meta-data' on the video, and then it becomes searchable. Want video of everyone who bought Charmin toilet paper? No problem. Want video of everyone who bought Federal 9mm? No problem. Want video of every transaction using Visa card # 12345? No problem. No longer does a person have to review hours and hours of video to find what they are looking for.... its all just 'data'....

Technology..... its not always a good thing. :eek:

Jack House

Wal-Mart videos nearly every square inch of their stores and have several backups, including one at the home office. Old news? I think so.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Whatever Wal Mart sells, you can find at a real gun shop for less. Also, they suck.

I haven't seen a gun I wanted to buy at Wal Mart anyway.

Aknazer

Whatever Wal Mart sells, you can find at a real gun shop for less. Also, they suck.

I haven't seen a gun I wanted to buy at Wal Mart anyway.

I want to find these gun stores you're talking about cuz I haven't found them yet.

j4l

Even if I were inclined to buy one there (im not) Could care less. Video away. Nothing whatsoever to hide. Im not ramping up for a revolution or a bank heist.
Privacy? We're talking about firearms here, not adult diapers.
Man-up, give the camera the finger -with a smile-as you buy.

KBCraig

Are you talking about the "real gun shops" who buy their ammo from Wal Mart because it's cheaper than they can get the same stuff in less-than-pallet-load quantities through wholesale channels?

Ca Patriot

The disturbing part of this story is that Walmart has partnered with the most anti-gun person in America, Bloomberg. Walmart has also agreed with turn over video of gun purchases WITHOUT warrants to Bloombergs PRIVATE anti-gun group.
This information and video can be used in bad ways.

REALteach4u

+1000! With the number of BATFE "discrepancies" they keep shutting FFL's down for it's come to the point that I think they can pull almost anything out of their 5th point of contact.

However, this could be tossed back at them if you folks want to walk in with a video camera and record the other side of the transaction. Missouri is a 1 party State, so they won't be able to say much.

Last edited:

Haz.

Wear a Burqa

Down Under, if you dont want to be identified you can wear a Burqu. I'm asked to take off my motor cycle helmet by security staff if I dont remove it before entering in many major stores and banks while people wearing a Burqa waltz in unhindered?