• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Brother Sam: Wal-Mart to videotape gun buyers

Aknazer

Down Under, if you dont want to be identified you can wear a Burqu. I'm asked to take off my motor cycle helmet by security staff if I dont remove it before entering in many major stores and banks while people wearing a Burqa waltz in unhindered?

Just tell them your helmet is a part of your religion and then make them prove otherwise without giving them anymore information. If need be make up a religion similar to the spaghetti monster incident in the U.S. and claim discrimination.

Beretta92FSLady

Wal-Mart is 'private property', and can videotape whomever they want, wherever they wish (with the exception of the restrooms).

You may not know this, but Wally World records you when you purchase ammunition, or a box of Kotex pads for your wife; you are recorded through the whole shopping experience of the store.

rpyne

Whatever Wal Mart sells, you can find at a real gun shop for less.

When was the last time you bought ammo? Last time I checked, even the discount gun stores were charging more for re-manufactured ammo than WalMart charges for factory new.

Aknazer

When was the last time you bought ammo? Last time I checked, even the discount gun stores were charging more for re-manufactured ammo than WalMart charges for factory new.

The BX sells their ammo for the same or less than WalMart prices (and there's no taxes charged there!), though I guess that isn't really fair to bring up to people that don't have the option to shop there.

Oh and to address the talk about price mark-ups I recently found out how much the BX marks up the price of the gun. It's a 25% mark-up from dealer prices; which is apparently less than the MSRP of some guns. So in regards to the MSAR I was talking about earlier, I finally ordered it for $1.6k, the dealer MSRP was 2.2k and my local gunstore wanted 2.9k for the same gun. Which tells me that the dealer price is about 1300 for the gun, which means MSRP from the dealer on this particular gun is a ~70% markup, and the local store had a ~225% markup from dealer prices (and that's ~30% markup from MSRP). And the local store is big enough that I'm sure they can get dealer prices so that is just retarded.

Now I'm sure not all guns get a 225% markup from dealer prices, but if WalMart does start selling guns at more stores I can see it bringing down the prices on at least some of the guns in various places that have these crazy markups.

hermannr

I have only made one "gun/ammo" purchase from Wal-mart...and that was some subsonic copper tip .22 target shorts, and only one box of 50 just to try them. At checkout the girl asked if the ammo was for a pistol or a rifle. I go..say what? She said the machine wants to know. I will say those shorts do work well in my wifes High Standard Trophy with the Olympic slide and barrel installed.

Well, I told the checkout gal it was for a pistol but I did not understand why they asked...I think I do now. Our Wal-Mart has a lot of different guns and ammo, always has had...I think maybe they are testing the market to see if they should also carry handguns??? I will post if they end up with handguns at the Omak Wal-Mart. Don't go there very often, too far (40 miles), but if I'm already down there I do stop in for a few things.

Aknazer

The reason for asking is because in some places (all?) you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo, and so on ammo that can be used in both (.22LR is the primary one I know of excluding SMG weapons as those are specifically designed around pistol ammo) they ask. Not too long ago someone on here from I think Cali was stating how WalMart refused to sell him .22LR ammo since he was 18 and it could be used in pistols even though he was getting it for his rifle and he even told the person at the register so.

Last edited:

Jack House

The reason for asking is because in some places (all?) you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo, and so on ammo that can be used in both (.22LR is the primary one I know of excluding SMG weapons as those are specifically designed around pistol ammo) they ask. Not too long ago someone on here from I think Cali was stating how WalMart refused to sell him .22LR ammo since he was 18 and it could be used in pistols even though he was getting it for his rifle and he even told the person at the register so.
Exactly.

The difference is whether the cashier then asks whether you are 18(buying for a rifle) or 21(buying for a handgun). And it's federal law, so everywhere.