• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter from Rep Turner (D) on Concealed Carry

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Attached is the letter that I received from my State Representative Robert Turner (D). I'm not surprised by this letter, actually it is what I expected, but it wasn't going to stop me from telling him how I felt... if more people do this then that supposed 4 to 1 ratio will go down.

I sent him a reply, thanked him for getting back to me, and asked that he would reconsider.

Attachments

• Letter from Sen Turner on Concealed Carry (04-22-2011).pdf
    162.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

theoicarry

Attached is the letter that I received from my State Representative Robert Turner (D). I'm not surprised by this letter, actually it is what I expected, but it wasn't going to stop me from telling him how I felt... if more people do this then that supposed 4 to 1 ratio will go down.

I sent him a reply, thanked him for getting back to me, and asked that he would reconsider.

It is heart warming to know that Wisconsin must have the most intelligent leaders in all of the USA??? May be all of the other states will follow Wisconsin's lead in not letting the residents cc in order to protect themselves and family! You just gotta wonder what these people are thinking???
Thanks for posting the letter

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Turner NRA rating:

2010 B
2008 C

Wonder how bad you have to be to get an F. He was the chair of the Assembly committee that heard the firearm related bills in the last session. The bad ones such as microstamping, along the good ones, never got very far. So maybe his higher rating was based on not supporting the bad ones as compared to supporting the good ones.

Last edited:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Turner NRA rating:

2010 B
2008 C

Wonder how bad you have to be to get an F. He was the chair of the Assembly committee that heard the firearm related bills in the last session. The bad ones such as microstamping, along the good ones, never got very far. So maybe his higher rating was based on not supporting the bad ones as compared to supporting the good ones.

WHAT! a 'B' rating, are you kidding me? Who the hell do I send this letter to in order to get that changed?

HandyHamlet

This has been a divisive issue and one that is not a critical need for our state. The Legislature's time is better spent focusing on jobs, education, and economic development.

In office since 1990. Still living in 1990. Time to go.

Captain Nemo

Interesting that in 1998 the voting people of Wisconsin that give the seantors their job voted 3 to 1 in favor of aticle I section 25. "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose". A people's decision he is obligated to uphold.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Interesting that in 1998 the voting people of Wisconsin that give the seantors their job voted 3 to 1 in favor of aticle I section 25. "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose". A people's decision he is obligated to uphold.

Is there a breakdown somewhere for each district? If my district voted similar to the overall state it would be worth sending it to him, if not he is just going to say that it doesn't represent his districts makeup...

Flipper

Campaign Veteran

oak1971

Turner NRA rating:

2010 B
2008 C

That's what I keep saying. The rating is a farce and the NRA is becoming more of a farce each passing minute.

baldp8

They must use a template. This is almost (not exactly, but darn close) the same letter I got from my dem rep too.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
They must use a template. This is almost (not exactly, but darn close) the same letter I got from my dem rep too.

who is your rep? The Madison area Dems take their marching orders from the Madison city hall, just like the Milwaukee ones do from the Milwaukee city hall.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran

It appears some of his reply was once used by Doyle:

“This bill doesn’t create a single job, doesn’t help a single Wisconsin citizen afford health care, and doesn’t improve schools for a single Wisconsin child,” Governor Doyle said. “It’s time for the Legislature to get back to the serious work of solving problems that face Wisconsin families, instead of catering to the wishes of extremist special interest groups.”

Complete text. Every scare tactic against concealed carry was quoted by Doyle.

Press Releases

For Immediate Release
Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Jessica Erickson, Governor’s Office, 608-261-2156

Governor Doyle Announces Veto of Concealed Carry Bill

Flanked by sheriffs, deputies, police chiefs, police officers, troopers and other law enforcement officers, Governor Jim Doyle announced today that he has vetoed SB 214, legislation that would allow concealed weapons into almost all public places and would weaken restrictions against guns on school grounds and in school zones.

“This bill doesn’t create a single job, doesn’t help a single Wisconsin citizen afford health care, and doesn’t improve schools for a single Wisconsin child,” Governor Doyle said. “It’s time for the Legislature to get back to the serious work of solving problems that face Wisconsin families, instead of catering to the wishes of extremist special interest groups.”

“That is why earlier today I took my veto pen, and used it to stand with law enforcement to keep lethal weapons away from our schools, businesses, and communities,” Doyle said.

A wide range of law enforcement groups oppose the legislation, including:

-- The Badger State Sheriff’s Association
-- The Wisconsin Chiefs of Police Association
-- The Wisconsin Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs Association
-- The Wisconsin District Attorneys Association
-- The Wisconsin County Police Association
-- The Association of State Prosecutors
-- The Wisconsin Troopers’ Association

Additionally, out of 72 sheriffs in Wisconsin, just three are on record supporting a concealed hand gun law. And at least 65 sheriffs have vowed to “opt out” of the bill.

The Governor noted that the bill passed by the Legislature would allow concealed weapons into crowded shopping malls during the holidays, public libraries, public buildings, Boys and Girls Clubs, banks, universities, movie theaters, concert venues like Alpine Valley, Summerfest, parades, parking lots, farmers markets, and the State Fair.

“Even after the tragedy at Columbine, this bill would weaken restrictions against carrying lethal weapons on school grounds,” said Governor Doyle. “I think we all agree that Wisconsin’s schools need more textbooks and more teachers - but one thing they sure don’t need is more guns.”

The Governor noted that, under SB 214, the only way that a businessowner can legally prevent people from walking into a store with a concealed weapon is to physically approach the person and tell them to leave, a provision that hurts businesses and puts employees at risk.

The bill also carves out an exception to Wisconsin’s open records law that would keep information about concealed weapons secret from the public, and would also limit access to the information by law enforcement.

“Under this bill, hunting and fishing licenses would be public information, but permits to carry lethal weapons into shopping malls would be kept secret,” Governor Doyle said. “And it’s even more absurd that the bill limits access to information by the police. Before approaching a car on a routine traffic stop, officers will have access to a person’s driving record, but not whether that person has a concealed weapon. It’s just wrong to put our officers in danger like that.”

The Governor noted that the bill will bury our sheriffs departments in a mountain of paperwork, create a huge unfunded mandate, and cost local governments more than $3.7 million. According to the Department of Justice, 35,000 people would apply for a permit in the first year. “That’s 35,000 forms to process, 35,000 background checks to conduct, and 35,000 applicants to keep track of - leaving less time and fewer resources for the really important work of preventing, investigating, and prosecuting crimes,” the Governor said.

Now that the bill has been vetoed, the Governor urged legislators in both parties to get back to work on his job creation agenda. “I’m calling on the Legislature - Republicans and Democrats - to work with me to address the real issues in our state. It’s time for us to get back to work, so our citizens can get back to work too,” the Governor concluded.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=215726

XDFDE45

And yet they can find the time to pass legislation to allow people to buy beer 2 hours earlier :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:.

Last edited:

Pyro01

And yet they can find the time to pass legislation to allow people to buy beer 2 hours earlier :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:.

I guess being able to buy beer two hours earlier helps wisconsin families and it gives the government more tax money. [/facepalm]