• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF Seeking Public Comments, again: Reporting Multiple Sales of Long Guns

brboyer

ATF is at it again regarding multiple long-gun reporting requirements - additional 30-day comment period.
Last go round, ATF received 12,680 comments from this collection (8928 commenters support the collection, and 3752 commenters opposed to the collection)
We need to do better this time. Comments being accepted until May 31, 2011.
At the bottom, I've provided links to some blogs that are discussing this.

To ensure that comments on the information collection are received, OMB recommends that written comments be faxed to or e-mailed to:

Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
OMB
Attn: DOJ Desk Officer

Fax: 202– 395–7285

e-mail: oira_submission@omb.eop.gov

All comments should be identified with the OMB control number [1140–NEW].
Also include the DOJ docket number found in brackets in the heading of this document. [FR Doc. 2011–10355]

Points to make:

1. Multiple sales reporting of long guns will actually make it more difficult for licensed retailers to help law enforcement as traffickers modify their illegal schemes to circumvent the reporting requirement. Traffickers will go further underground, hiring more people to buy their firearms. This will make it much harder for retailers to identify and report suspicious behavior to law enforcement.
2. Long guns are rarely used in crime (Bureau of Justice Statistics).
3. Imposing multiple sales-reporting requirements for long guns would further add to the already extensive paperwork and record-keeping requirements burdening America’s retailers – where a single mistake could cost them their license and even land them in jail.
4. Last year, ATF inspected 2,000 retailers in border states and only two licenses were revoked (0.1%). These revocations were for reasons unknown and could have had nothing to do with illicit trafficking of guns; furthermore, no dealers were charged with any criminal wrongdoing.
5. According to ATF, the average age of a firearm recovered in the United States is 11 years old. In Mexico it’s more than 14 years old. This demonstrates that criminals are not using new guns bought from retailers in the states.
6. Congress, when it enacted multiple sales reporting for handguns, could have required multiple sales of long guns – it specifically chose not to.

Link to Federal Register:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-04-29/pdf/2011-10355.pdf

Blog Links:
http://www.gunleaders.com/blog/2011...le-sale-registration-comment-period-extended/

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/04/atf-continues-with-multi-long-gun.html

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/04/atfs-multi-long-gun-reporting-proposal.html

Last edited:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
It seems to me that some gun dealers in border states were reporting this information to the ATF, but the ATF said sell them anyway.

I believe the ATF is under tremendous political pressure from the Obama administration to find a way to regulate guns.

I believe the ATF is an organization that is in peril. The field agents know how to do they're jobs, but the upper echelon doesn't know what to do to keep theirs.

The "Gun-runner" scandal has hurt the organization's credibility, even if the media has in large part left the story alone.