• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ann Arbor open carry

pmcqueen37

Well you can always carry a "rape whistle" while on campus. I think U of M does not consider them a weapon yet?

Just saying ...better get one before the ban ;)

Don't worry "ALL CRIMINALS OBEY THE SIGNS" see link below ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rVuZ0hJEyM&feature=related

To the Phone Book Snipers credit he chases our hero Navin to a carnival ground service entrance & immediately stops his pursuit upon seeing a sign stating: "Authorized Personnel Only".

Did you notice that this video is a mirror image, every thing is reversed, all the writing is backwards and all the cars have the steering wheels on the right hand side.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Good eye PMC

Did you notice that this video is a mirror image, every thing is reversed, all the writing is backwards and all the cars have the steering wheels on the right hand side.

I must be dyslexic PMCQUEEN37, I completely missed it the 1st time. I hope the new guy appreciates my sense of humor as, that is sometimes a rare commodity on this forum.

Scooter

"I have seen some posts in the forums saying "stay away from Ann Arbor", even some where opencarry.org members are afraid to drive through ann arbor on I-94 because of their "strict" gun control. I contacted U of M's police department to ask them what the real policy was before actually going downtown with my gun. "

I have OC'd in Ann Arbor for a few years and there has never been any kind of issue at all. As you have said; many people do not notice and most are not bothered at all. Being informed, confident and friendly goes a long way.
Things will be much easier when you get your CPL!

apjonas

Nice to See Someone Else Slummin' in the Michigan Forum

1) welcome aboard.

2) a university is not a school for the purpose of the "GF"SZ act(s). 'School' in that instance refers to K-12.

3) don't ask police for legal rulings. Most of the time they don't know what they're talking about. Read the laws yourself, ask on the MI forum, check out www.handgunlaw.us

4) if these are state schools you're talking about, how can a state agency go against state law (saying that CPL holders can carry)? It's public property, owned by the state, so state law applies. Or can someone educate me as to why the state law would not apply to the state agency?

The University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Wayne State University are "constitutional corporations" in that they are set up in the Michigan Constitution (others like Central Michigan, etc. being set up by statute). Therefore (at least the claim is) they possess superpowers not held by mere mortal colleges and can, under circumstances, trump state law.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Wayne State University are "constitutional corporations" in that they are set up in the Michigan Constitution (others like Central Michigan, etc. being set up by statute). Therefore (at least the claim is) they possess superpowers not held by mere mortal colleges and can, under circumstances, trump state law.

Not exactly, but close enough... other institutions are also listed.

Evil Creamsicle

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

That applies only to a CPL holder carrying concealed. If you do not have a CPL this does not apply and parking lots are still off limits.

This was added after the CPL law went into effect, because people were complaining that if they wanted to stop at one of these places they couldn't leave their weapon in the car and conduct business in the PFZ. They also changed it so a CPL can carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

xmanhockey7

While under this Michigan law you may not be in violation of keeping your gun in the parking lot of a college (assuming that you left it there to go into a dorm or classroom) colleges do not fall under preemption and can ban all weapons on their campus whether in your vehicle or not. Michigan State University ordinance says they allow all lawful carry but you may get a lot of hassle if you try to open carry there.

Except as permitted by state law regulating firearms, no person shall possess any firearm or weapon anywhere upon property governed by the Board. Persons residing on property governed by the Board shall store any and all firearms and weapons with the Department of Police and Public Safety.

rvd4now

were can i find out that information

detroit_fan

That applies only to a CPL holder carrying concealed. If you do not have a CPL this does not apply and parking lots are still off limits.

This was added after the CPL law went into effect, because people were complaining that if they wanted to stop at one of these places they couldn't leave their weapon in the car and conduct business in the PFZ. They also changed it so a CPL can carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Do you happen to know when this happened? I would like to look up some news articles about it but not sure what year to look or what bill number it was.

kubel

I carry to Ann Arbor when I'm there working. Some jobs have taken me close to campus property, but I'm not intimidated. Way to go OP.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Okay thanks,
I just recently got my first handgun, (and a holster for open carrying today). No CPL yet. I've read countless threads, but haven't seen much regarding whether the gun can be loaded or not. According to this http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fs...ctname=mcl-324-43513&query=on&highlight=43513 and other laws, it appears I can only open carry while on my way to one of the places listed as lawful purpose, and also I can not have a loaded magazine in the gun.

But I could have for example, an unloaded magazine in the gun, on my hip, while walking on the sidewalk in ann arbor, on my way to a cpl class, and have a loaded magazine in my pocket?

Keep reading up on the laws and don't OC yet.

You can transport a handgun for ALL lawful purpose, which exceeds the examples in the statute. When you do OC you can have the gun loaded.

You can not have a firearm in or on the places listed in 750.234d, which includes ANY place that has a liquor license, including places like Meijers, gas stations that sell beer, etc... this includes the parking lots.

You also can't possess a firearm anywhere on U of M property.

The gun must be unloaded and in the trunk when transporting in a vehicle. You can have ammo in a magazine, but not in the gun. The gun can have no ammo in it at all.

Keep learning there is lots to know. I suggest you attend one of the free OC seminars that pop up from time to time.

Last edited: