Thread: Twenty people died on our roads this weekend.

Twenty people died on our roads this weekend.

I dont like doing this but I think it needs to be said. Down Under, every gun related crime, be it local, be it national, be it in the USA, or any where else in the western world, is published in every news paper, it it broadcast on every T. V. channel, spoken about on talk back for days on end. The Greens and anites flog it to death for days and weeks add nausium.

Its a tradition down under. Every Easter Weekend and at Christmas time, Australians head north, south, east and west to enjoy the long weekend break. Sadly many people die on our poorly constructed country roads. Speed, alcohol, careless driving, road rage all contribute to this carnage.

This Easter break, twenty people died on our roads over the weekend and not one gun in sight.

Three days later this terrible annual road carnage is already forgotten. Not a mention on any news media. Politicians are silent.

Despite the firearms ban down-under, had twenty people been killed by a crazed gunman, we would be hearing about it for months. The Greens and anties would be in a frenzy calling for further thghtening of our already extreemly tight gun laws.

It seems large numbers of people killed on our roads is acceptable. Strange indeed.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Being originally from Canada, another BCW country, I think I understand. It is called political expediency.

Any move to restrict automobiles in the name of public safety would be political suicide, it would restrict too many people. Actually they do try, subtilly with the push to use public transportation, but all out in your face restrictions and their party is finished. (even though automobiles are also used in crime)

Firearms though,,, not everyone has them. More people live in big Cities that do not own any firearms, than in the country that do, so it is a lot easier for the politicos to show they are "doing soming about crime" by restricting those dangerous firearms that kill people, thereby making the streets safe for the real criminals.

They have done the same with alcohol and "drugs"...and created their own problems...it is the old divide and conquer ploy. Believe me, if more than half of the country used MJ or Coke, they would not be illegal. Politicos want power, they use fear of the unknown, and how they are going to "protect you" to get you to give up that power that you have to them.

Simple solution. Same as gun grabbers want.

Outlaw cars.

Outlaw cars
    Uh, no. As much as I like the idea emotionally, being a cyclist, the answer is to make cars safer. Though it might not be possible to make driving completely safe, they could use more robust materials and systems and cut the death toll down quite a bit. Whether we'd want to pay for this is not clear and not actually relevant.

We seem to accept or even expect a certain mortality rate as a 'cost of driving' or something.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Simple solution. Same as gun grabbers want.

Outlaw cars.
    But-but-but, gun grabbers dont think cars kill people. They know cars dont kill people, they believe only guns kill people. And they need their cars dont they so one wont hear of any coalition for car control.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

On the contrary, they know very well that cars kill people. But they are able to make the mature decision that the degree of freedom allowed by private automobiles is worth the risk.

Everyone should like what they do (drive). They just don't like what you do. (Shoot/collect,etc.) Popularity forgives all sins.