• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possibility of Law suit against Brady Campaign

stuckinchico

Was wondering if we grouped together by the masses in a class action suit against Brady Campaign for slander.

Mike Summit of Brady Campaign wrote on my post on Bradys face book.:
"
Because you came in here, where almost everyone is a victim of gun violence, usually by people who owned their guns legally, and started ranting and spewing. You have no idea what the BC is really about, or who any of these people are. You're just angry and self-centered, a typical narcissistic violent sociopath.

Some cops are sociopathic. If it were up to me, regular cops would only have non-lethal weapons (rubber bulets, tazers, pepper spray), and SWAT would be the only cops with guns and real bullets.

But no, I wasn't referring to the police. I was saying that you, [deleted name ] (if that's your real name), are a psycho, and you personally should be disarmed."

This is a typical response from them. While they also deliberately misquote, misdirect and mislead information, while personally attacking people through there protests

I think we would have a case that would send a message to them to do their homework alot better

Any suggestions on how to kick this off?

Highline

They're really an irrelevant group incapable of really accomplishing anything.

Let them stomp their feet, whine, and accuse people of what not. Just ignore them and bask in their obscurity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that if such a suit were viable enough, that one of the nation organizations would have picked up on it long ago.

As it is the Brady Campaign is not but an empty shell, withering like a dry leaf. Their membership numbers are in serious decline and their funds are limited.

When they drag out the ol' tired cliches, even with a new spin or two, the public by and large just shake their heads at the ignorance. All the BB does is spend their time patting themselves on their collective backsides.

eye95

I don't see a class action for slander as doable. To win a defamation case, you have to show that you personally were lied about knowingly or recklessly and that the lie damaged you financially. For the case to be class action, you'd have to show how everyone in the class was individually damaged financially or that membership in the class, in and of itself, means that one must have been damaged by the Bradies. That would be less practical than individual suits, and those probably wouldn't work either as I don't know how [strike]everyone[/strike] anyone was financially damaged by the Bradies expressing flawed opinions.

Nah. Our efforts will be much better focused elsewhere. Just let the Bradies continue to fade into irrelevance.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I think what really sticks in everyone's craw is the fact that this silly little group, made up of the kind of bigots who call everyone else "violent sociopaths" gets the media coverage that most grassroots organizations don't. Certainly we and to a greater extent VCDL get some coverage, but it ts often done for the opportunity to slime us or give others like the Bradys the opportunity to get their talking points in. The supposedly neutral and professional media are notorious for treating the Bradys like sacred cows and fonts of great wisdom while we are just simple rubes or mouthpeices for the "gun lobby". Sickening.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just as the "more primitive" cultures made exceptions for those we now say are afflicted with mental health issues, we need to remember that the folks over at CVP/Brady Campaign are laboring under a lack of logic, as well as an apparent refusal to accept facts over emotions.

Yes, many of the folks over there are either survivors of violence or those that are/were close to someone who was visited by violence. They have chosen to vilify the thing that a person used to commit violence rather than vilify the violent action. If that's how they manage to cope, so be it.

While it would be nice if they would go away, I am not one who would support a campaign to force their demise. I see use in their existence - if for nothing else than as the prime example of what will not work when dealing with violence.

stay safe.

OldCurlyWolf

Was wondering if we grouped together by the masses in a class action suit against Brady Campaign for slander.

"
Because you came in here, where almost everyone is a victim of gun violence, usually by people who owned their guns legally, and started ranting and spewing. You have no idea what the BC is really about, or who any of these people are. You're just angry and self-centered, a typical narcissistic violent sociopath.

Some cops are sociopathic. If it were up to me, regular cops would only have non-lethal weapons (rubber bulets, tazers, pepper spray), and SWAT would be the only cops with guns and real bullets.

But no, I wasn't referring to the police. I was saying that you, [deleted name ] (if that's your real name), are a psycho, and you personally should be disarmed."

This is a typical response from them. While they also deliberately misquote, misdirect and mislead information, while personally attacking people through there protests

I think we would have a case that would send a message to them to do their homework alot better

While it would be fun to nail them financially, I would rather be able to put them in "St. Elizabeth's". That is where the US Gov't. put undesirables that they did not wish to prosecute at that time. It effectively shut their yaps and no one listened to them after they got out. They were totally discredited.

I want them totally discredited. :cuss:

Gunslinger

"

It would be publication, not slander, per se. But I don't see a case. It doesn't meet the definition of slander/libel under common law and most states follow that closely. Plus, the internet is the Wild West. Courts tend to take a 50,000 foot approach. And then there is the problem of justification. And identity. And assigning 'legal' responsibility. I sympathize with your intent, but don't think it flies. Just my 3 cents. Here's a decent guide to the basics.

Specific requirements that a plaintiff must prove in order to recover in a defamation action differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Under the Restatement (Second) of Torts, which is drafted by the American Law Institute and has been influential among state courts, a plaintiff must prove four elements.

1.First, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff.

2.Second, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party.

3.Third, the plaintiff must prove that the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.

4.Fourth, in some cases, the plaintiff must prove special damages.
I think you're short on 2-4. And that sinks it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How about some of these new cyber bullying laws? ;)

You think I would have standing from the injuries I sustained from beating my head against the wall :banghead: when I read their tripe?

I'll have to run that by my shrink - where is Skid when you want him? :lol: