• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little PR on the Concealed Carry Legislation

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I submitted a response to the first article (which, as of this moment, awaits approval from the moderator.)

I wrote:

I hope that the reporter learns the meaning of the word “refute” to avoid it’s future misuse. He wrote: “Jeri Bonavia, executive director of WAVE, an anti-violence group, refuted the notion that concealed carry would help with self-defense.” To “refute” means to disprove something or to prove something to be erroneous. Ms. Bonavia may DISPUTE the efficacy of concealed carry, but she certainly has not “refuted” it.

CalicoJack10

I actually have gotten quite a bit of information on this over the last 24 hours, and as soon as I can get my scanner up and running (I have guests sleeping in the office) I will be putting up another post with copies of the letter I recieved and information about what I have learned from private discussions. I am sure it will keep in line with the first article for the most part.

qball54208

Here is the e-mail I sent to Sen Wanggaard.

Dear Senator Wanggaard,

My name is Brian XXXXXXX, a proficient hand gun owner and an advid Open Carrier here in the State of Wisconsin! I reside specifically in Green Bay for the last 16 years since I moved away from Milwaukee, for a variety of reasons.
Mainly because of the crime, I wanted a smaller City to raise a Family, less Taxes, a small town feeling. That was good for the first 10 or so years, until I noticed the “culture” shift. Smaller factions (pockets) of “wana be” hard nosers that thought it would be easier “up north”.
There is really no specific Nationality that seems to be the issue, we have a great Community here, strong ties to local businesses, Churches and so on. We do have crime here, murders, assaults, robberies, rape and so forth. Just because I moved 120 miles away from a City that has crime issues did not mean I could escape it. Moreover, I feel a bit safer here, I can for the most part trust my neighbors. I am the Neighborhood Watch, I am pretty much the most Pro-Active person in my neighborhood. Please do not mis understand me, I am no John Wayne, more like and individual that takes his own/family safety and security seriously, my Wife and Daughter are my life!
More to the point of this e-mail, I realize that Wisconsin will eventually come to it’s senses, we already have Article I Section 25 of the Wisconsin State Constitution. This fact then in turn begs the question, if we already have No Permit carry for firearms, then why change it? Other than Repeal restrictive Hand Gun Laws that are on the books in the State Statues and Department of Natural Resources. I believe in Our Rights Afforded to Us by Our Fore Fathers says it all, They are Rights! So, issuing a permit for the Lawful carrying of a firearm and training? This is no good. Just another Government intrusion and trampling of/on our Rights.
To operate a motor vehicle in Wisconsin is a privilege, (the Auto-Mobile was not yet invented when The Bill of Rights and The Constitution were penned) imposing a standard is acceptable.
Now with that being said, Training/Permitting for the Lawful use/possession of a firearm will be a slap in the face of us Wisconsinites! We already have spoken when Article I Section 25 was Voted in/adopted, something to the tune of 79% of the fine people of the Great State of Wisconsin.
If, for some unacceptable reason, Training/Permitting for the already Lawful purpose of a hand gun possession is introduced, I suggest that you and your Constituent’s make some proposal such as, if an individual has been or is currently in the US Military, those Service Members SHOULD receive a pass on the training, fee’s and permits. Those Men and Women of the Armed Services have had their fair share weapons training, on a staggering variety of weapons systems, from a .50 caliber all the way to a 9mm hand gun. This too would be a slap in the face, those Service Members are entitled.
Carrying a fire arm is a Right, not to be infringed upon by the Government. I know a great many arguments arise from this very issue, that is great, 1st Amendment Right. So is the preceding Right, I do not dissuade a discussion on either of these Rights, I respect them equally!
I carry a fire arm for a variety of reasons, mainly, Law Enforcement Officers are not Lawfully required to protect me or my Family and the most obvious one, it is my Right. I care nothing about material objects, I pay insurance for the replacement of my material goods. If a life threatening situation ever arises (I pray that it does not) where I would have no other means to flee or escape to seek safety, then and ONLY then will I have no other choice. I take the carrying of a fire arm very seriously, I am proficient and knowledgeable in it’s use, handling and operation.
I believe that you will take the time to consider some of the valid points here, following the Rights of the People, not the voice of the people.

Respectfully
Brian

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
For what good it will do....

For what good it will do, since I'm not in his district, I sent Senator Wangaarrd the following email:
Dear Senator Wanggaard,
I am writing you to urge you to draft the legislation that will bring Wisconsin gun laws into agreement with our Constitution and the will of the people as expressed in the 1997 voter approval of Article I Section 25 of the Wisconsin State Constitution by 79% of the vote.

Concealed Carry of a Weapon (CCW) without a permit (What is being called, "Constitutional Carry") is becoming the choice of more and more states. Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, and Wyoming already have this as law. Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Utah, and Tennessee have bills in process mandating constitutional carry Legislation is also being considered in Idaho and Maine. The legislators of these states realize the importance of recognizing a citizen's God-given right to self-defense and defense of loved ones and that a permit system is unnecessarily costly and is counter to the intent of the Second Amendment.

In Wisconsin, various organizations including Wisconsin Carry, Inc, the United States Concealed Carry Association, The National Rifle Association, WI-Force (NRA state chartered organization), Wisconsin Gun Owners, the Tea Party Coalition, Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty, The Wisconsin Libertarian Party, and the Wisconsin Chapter of Open Carry.Org have ALL endorsed Constitutional Carry for the upcoming legislation regarding concealed carry. In the 2010 Republican state convention in Milwaukee, the state GOP voted overwhelmingly to change the party platform to REMOVE the word "permit" from their stance on the right to carry thus making the party platform conform to Constitutional Carry principles.

Again in Wisconsin, many thousands of citizens have been Open Carrying their pistols for several years without any safety problems or shootouts at the O.K. Corral. How can covering a sidearm with a bit of cloth suddenly make the wearer unfit and unsafe to carry without training and a permit? Answer: it doesn't.

In short, many of us do not believe that law abiding citizens should have to pay a tax and register with the government in order to exercise what the US Supreme Court has now affirmed is a fundamental individual right. Also, a permit system would necessitate an expensive expansion of Government to administer the program at a time when smaller government is desirable. In addition, a study has shown that Wisconsin stands to save over a half BILLION dollars a year as a result of the economic benefits of Constitutional Carry. See the attachment, "Savings From Constitutional Carry" for the study.

Thank you very much for your consideration in this important matter,

oak1971

From the article.....

Wanggaard, a former investigator with the Racine Police Department, said he wants a concealed carry program with training provisions, such as classroom study and range practice time.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Dors he represent his constituents or himself?

From the article.....

Wanggaard, a former investigator with the Racine Police Department, said he wants a concealed carry program with training provisions, such as classroom study and range practice time.
Yes, I read the article, but what HE wants is not important; it's what HIS CONSTITUENTS want! :banghead: