• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N. Las Vegas Case Lost

wrightme

My take is that the NRA did not find a suitible "injured person" nor did they lay down a foundation, or a case. in the second pleading the atty, for Hanes (up in Reno!?!) did a better job, but did not even work. IMHO I think this was theater and that it has Bolstered NLVPD- Is this a way to increase membership for the NRA ?

Members of the NRA have been requesting they get involved in this specific. From what I recall of how this even started, the NRA did not "ride into town looking for a fight." People who were affected by the laws being enforced looked for remedy. As this case shows, finding remedy in this specific is proving to be quite difficult.

Someone first needs "standing." So far, that is lacking.

The Big Guy

Put the NRA on the spot. There is now someone with standing to go after the law. Let's see how willing they are to pick it back up and go for the ring. Being a life member of the NRA for over 30 years I still have lots of problems with them. I don't think they are what they say they are but if they can be used to win this I say go for it. All NRA memebers should call and write the organization telling them to do so. Put pressure on them.

TBG

DON`T TREAD ON ME

It appears that Tim Bedwell is at it again, NLV dropped the "Dangerouse weapon" charges On Tiger Lilys son. I talked to him last night.

I have been fighting this in the motorcycle helmet arena for two years. here is the Drill:

Unenforcable law: charge anyway!

Defendant Pays, Or Plea's City wins and bad law propagates.

If the Defendant is willing to fight, the charges are dropped as late in the case as possible (to punish the defendant)

I had two helmet tix. recently 1 in Boulder City and one in North Las Vegas.
Both Courts are currently Courts of non record.

I was convicted in Both Courts and in NLV the judge feeling the heat of my defense said "the law does not matter in my Court, what I say matters here"

I instantly appealed, and had a hearing in District Court where the Judge allowed us (Travis appeared with me in District court) to file a "Legal brief" to challange the constitutionality of the stop.

We submitted my legal brief, and it was never responded to, Boulder City did not even show for their hearing. It was that Damn good.

When they did show, the Judge recognized the pattern and practice explained above, and allowed Travis to file an affidavit of fees and costs, which he did.
There is a hearing on it this week, I will keep you posted.

Our remedy in this matter is to file a Class action Lawsuit against the offending partys for unconstitutional enforcement of the helmet law. there are many similaritys here and it appears very possible that we could do a repeat. If you would like to help with the helmet lawsuit or learn from it etc. contact me, I say we come after NLV.

The Big Guy

It appears that Tim Bedwell is at it again, NLV dropped the "Dangerouse weapon" charges On Tiger Lilys son. I talked to him last night.

From what I understand the judge ruled, wouldn't there be standing now to file a suit on the legality of the law? They certainly have arrested someone and charged them. The fact that they later dropped it should not really protect them.

I guess the thing to do is if stopped by NLVPD, and they do find your piece and say they are going to charge you, act happy about it. Say, "oh good, we've been waiting for this to happen so we can file suit again. Thank you for giving me standing. Can we go to jail now?"

TBG

DON`T TREAD ON ME

The more I read, the more upset I get at the NRA Atty,

In the Ordinace written in 1978 there is an exemption, quote:

"but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

And Hanes "harm" was that he travels to work, and the gun range...... Did the Lawyer even read the Ordinance? I have half a mind to email him a piece of my mind.

Hanes Harm is as follows: as a private seller he travels through NLV, when I read the statute I see no problem with that.

Traveling to the Clark County shooting park also seems in order.

I have seen better work from "Jailhouse Lawyers" this was a money grab for Goodenow.

wrightme

Huh? The judge threw it out. Do you believe a lawyer can change that?

Contact the attorney. Ranting here does nothing, unless you are breaking the "bashing" rule by your choice.

The more I read, the more upset I get at the NRA Atty,

In the Ordinace written in 1978 there is an exemption, quote:

"but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

And Hanes "harm" was that he travels to work, and the gun range...... Did the Lawyer even read the Ordinance? I have half a mind to email him a piece of my mind.

Hanes Harm is as follows: as a private seller he travels through NLV, when I read the statute I see no problem with that.

Traveling to the Clark County shooting park also seems in order.

I have seen better work from "Jailhouse Lawyers" this was a money grab for Goodenow.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Huh? The judge threw it out. Do you believe a lawyer can change that?

Contact the attorney. Ranting here does nothing, unless you are breaking the "bashing" rule by your choice.

The Judge threw it out for good reason, and I bring it up for the same.

Hanes had not been harmed and was very unlikely to be harmed, by this ordinance.
If Hanes did get arrested for this NLV ordinance, it would be by a cop that was, breaking the law. Hanes remedy then would be to file an action against the cop, Not the City who's Ordinance was enforced improperly.

Hanes Atty. "Goodenow" (as well as the NRA) should have recognized that they had no case. I do not see how pointing this fact out could be construed as "Bashing, " Look! the Judge see's it the same way.

But there is more:

The NRA members (me included) paid for this stink-bomb)
The residents and taxpayers of Clark County and NLV, (me included) paid to defend the City from an unfounded allegation.
The NRA will claim that they are "fighting for our rights"

I am not anti NRA, I am PRO- accountibility.
I feel that this bringing this case up in shoddy fashion is worse than not bringing it up at all.

NLV has not had a practice of throwing law abiding gun owners in Jail. over this ordinance.

However true to form, this leads NLV to arbitrary and capricious enforcement tactics, which if used on one of us, will earn them the spanking they deserve. (I have some very useful audio, if it is ever needed)

chrsjhnsn

I have been fighting this in the motorcycle helmet arena for two years. here is the Drill:

Unenforcable law: charge anyway!

Defendant Pays, Or Plea's City wins and bad law propagates.

If the Defendant is willing to fight, the charges are dropped as late in the case as possible (to punish the defendant)

I had two helmet tix. recently 1 in Boulder City and one in North Las Vegas.
Both Courts are currently Courts of non record.

I was convicted in Both Courts and in NLV the judge feeling the heat of my defense said "the law does not matter in my Court, what I say matters here"

I instantly appealed, and had a hearing in District Court where the Judge allowed us (Travis appeared with me in District court) to file a "Legal brief" to challange the constitutionality of the stop.

We submitted my legal brief, and it was never responded to, Boulder City did not even show for their hearing. It was that Damn good.

When they did show, the Judge recognized the pattern and practice explained above, and allowed Travis to file an affidavit of fees and costs, which he did.
There is a hearing on it this week, I will keep you posted.

Our remedy in this matter is to file a Class action Lawsuit against the offending partys for unconstitutional enforcement of the helmet law. there are many similaritys here and it appears very possible that we could do a repeat. If you would like to help with the helmet lawsuit or learn from it etc. contact me, I say we come after NLV.

what kind of helmet ticket did you get? I am a biker & am very interested

TigerLily

Sorry, I forgot that I had posted about my son in this thread and I already started another thread with the details.

To clarify, my son's gun charge was NOT dropped. We assumed it had been dropped because it wasn't a charge listed online. The only charge that was listed (of the four) was his "aggressive driving" charge. I posted the details of all the charges on a new thread.

I saw some talk of "harm." In my son's case, he was certainly harmed because he was put into a holding tank for 24 hours and because the cops roughed up his injured arm. When his surgeon saw what they did to his arm he was beyond outraged. This surgeon went through a great deal to save my son's arm from amputation. He wears a stocking over it because it looks grotesque. He told the cops he was injured and you can imagine how much concern that raised--- NOT! He was injured in December, spent 1.5 months hospitalized, three major surgeries, a plate, and a skin graph.

Indeed, from reading the above posts, it appears the NLV city ordinance was used arbitrarily and capriciously because the cop didn't like my son. Up till his accident in December, my son was gainfully employed as a manager at a large dealership where he also served as their primary computer tech. My son is a big guy with tatts, expensive clothing, always drives nice/expensive cars and has attitude. I should say, he's "acquired" attitude because he's sick to death of all the times he's been detained by cops in town. I know that my best friend, Don't Tread on Me, doesn't like it when I use the word "profile" but my half-Latino son certainly has gotten more than his fair share of attention by cops - more so when he used to ride a motorcycle.

As for NRA involvement, there was an NRA rep at my son's arraignment (incognito) and she spoke to him afterward. I'll elaborate on that more on the other thread at a later time.

Last edited:

usmcmustang

Yes, and when they realize that they risk having their law overturned, they will drop the charges.

And the charges of violating their city ordinance WERE "dropped" on September 12, 2011. The municipal court Judge's order read as follows:

"The City of North Las Vegas' Motion to Dismiss with Prejudice, pursuant to NRS 174.085(5) & NRS 178.554, in which the Defendant is charged withe commission of the offense of DANGEROUS/DEADLY WEAPON IN VEHICLE, in violation of North Las Vegas Municipal Ordinance 9.32.090, is hereby GRANTED. The Court hereby dismisses, with prejudice, this charge against the Defendant."

The State (CA) Liason for the NRA Institute for Legislative Action was initially very interested in this case and even showed up at the initial arraignment in June 2011. She was kept apprised of the situation as it progressed. In September, after the judgment was rendered (dismissal), she was provided copies of the Defendant's and Plaintiff's briefs (ordered by the judge after the trial but before judgment was rendered). She has had that info for a couple weeks now, but with no response. In July 2011, she made a comment that "I (she) was under the impression that (the Defendant) was a permit holder and was carrying the firearm concealed...he was openly carrying it? Not that its relevant to the case, but is he a permit holder and if so, why was it open?" Seems to me that such a question might indicate a slight? "unfamiliarity" with what's what here... don't really know. My take on it is that it AIN'T at all relevant. Lawful OC or Lawful CC? (or both at the same time for that matter), who cares why or why not.

Anyway that's about where we are with this.

David M.

I guess the thing to do is if stopped by NLVPD, and they do find your piece and say they are going to charge you, act happy about it. Say, "oh good, we've been waiting for this to happen so we can file suit again. Thank you for giving me standing. Can we go to jail now?"

+1 for TBG. I plan on carrying my weapon through NLV with my CCW and if I get stopped and the LEO says they are charging me, I will do exactly this. I will wait until I am charged, I will let those charges go to court, I will pay the fine and after it is all closed and done then I will take them to court. Let's see them claim a lack of declaratory relief after that!

I wonder if we could plan a "car protest?" If 25 of us or so openly announce and drive through NLV with our loaded firearms on us, will NLVPD arrest all of us? If they do, would we have enough for a class action? Do you think we could get enough support for such a protest?

DON`T TREAD ON ME

+1 for TBG. I plan on carrying my weapon through NLV with my CCW and if I get stopped and the LEO says they are charging me, I will do exactly this. I will wait until I am charged, I will let those charges go to court, I will pay the fine and after it is all closed and done then I will take them to court. Let's see them claim a lack of declaratory relief after that!

I wonder if we could plan a "car protest?" If 25 of us or so openly announce and drive through NLV with our loaded firearms on us, will NLVPD arrest all of us? If they do, would we have enough for a class action? Do you think we could get enough support for such a protest?

The LEO's in NLV have been to "workshops" on how to protect that Ordinance, If NLVPD goes away METRO will not enforce it... NLV will give you no friction with a CCW you have too much to lose !!! Thats why Govt. makes us jump through hoops.

yegg57

case file on PDF - I can host - also other instering info....

No offense to the Big Guy, But Please read the WHOLE case before you invite the attorney , or the NRA into the mix again... the first criteria in a civil case is "Harm" if you bump someones car, but do not leave a mark or injury, what on earth can they sue you for.

I have the whole case on pdf and will send it to anyone that wants it, or can possibly provide a link, if I can talk the web guy into putting it on the website. P.M. Me

My take is that the NRA did not find a suitible "injured person" nor did they lay down a foundation, or a case. in the second pleading the atty, for Hanes (up in Reno!?!) did a better job, but did not even work. IMHO I think this was theater and that it has Bolstered NLVPD- Is this a way to increase membership for the NRA ?

1. i have several different websites where I can and will host the case file you are discussing. I'd personally like to read it.

2. I have been carrying for some 30 years now. ILLEGALLY concealed in California back in the day. ILLEGALLY concealed in Arizona UNTIL they changed the statutes permitting law abiding citizens to carry concealed based upon the perception of the legislature that the CRIMINALS do anyway, why shouldn't citizens?

3. While ILLEGALLY carrying in CA, I was instrumental in foiling the get-away of an armed robber who victimized my buddy's 7-11 store. The cop crashed his car into 2 different vehicles while responding, and when he saw me in a shooting stance up against a building pointing my weapon "up range" he said "You better do something with that gun..." I moved my arms toward him with the barrel still downrange and the butt heading toward his hands and said "Why don't YOU do something with it?" he took it from me, the cops caught the robber and get away driver, and my gun was returned to me after the fact. Thank GOD not a shot was fired by anyone!

4. >>OFF TOPIC<< I am a locksmith and safe-cracker. There exists a nationwide epidemic of criminal scammers invading our industry utilizing tactics such as procurement of hundreds to thousands of telephone numbers, causing those numbers to be listed to phony addresses where the scammers have no physical presence, Bait and Switch, and unnecessary destruction of consumers' locks. I have authored a consumer education website "TheLocksmithPolice.com" and I encourage everyone to read that site, including the "Exhibits" folder and the "Legal Documents" folder to read the lawsuit that I authored. The day I filed the suit I personally visited the attorney who at that time was the "agent for service" for some of the defendants. We spent several hours talking. When I let him start reading my complaint, he asked me "Who helped you with this?" He didn't believe me when I told him "No One." Once again he asked "Who helped you with this?" I finally told him that starting at age 18 I was employed as a PROCESS SERVER in California and that I had read every paper I served. I further informed him that "I didn't NEED any help to draft a civil complaint."

VERY OFF TOPIC (and almost a necessity!) I have had printed business cards. "normal" on one side. on the back it says "Learn about the "Invasion of the Locksmith Scammers"........... I routinely hand the BACK of my business card to people and subsequently tell them: "This is your reading assignment! ....
After you complete your reading assignment, you will understand why you want to tell all of your family and friends to put my number (or "the number of a locksmith you can trust") into your phone under locksmith in case of emergencies... because Giggle, Yahell, 411, and those big yellow books are NOT YOUR FRIENDS ANYMORE!"

Whether I ever get a local to Phoenix job out of this forum or not is not relevant. What is ESSENTIAL is that y'all are made to be aware of the nationwide activities of the criminal locksmith scammers and y'alls ability to nip your potential victimization in the bud by finding someone you can trust ahead of time.

I am always open to questions and anyone with concerns can call me at 1-800-313-5397. Clearly I can only respond to calls in the Phoenix market. Just as clearly my inspired intent is to raise red flags nationwide.

BACK ON TOPIC: To The Big Guy and any others in the Vegas market, I've made many trips there over the past 10 years living close. I never knew about the open carry law. Can anyone advise me as to how the various casinos react if and when anyone carrying openly goes in to play?

Thanks and have a BLESSED DAY!
Charley

The Big Guy

1. i have several different websites where I can and will host the case file you are discussing. I'd personally like to read it.

2. I have been carrying for some 30 years now. ILLEGALLY concealed in California back in the day. ILLEGALLY concealed in Arizona UNTIL they changed the statutes permitting law abiding citizens to carry concealed based upon the perception of the legislature that the CRIMINALS do anyway, why shouldn't citizens?

3. While ILLEGALLY carrying in CA, I was instrumental in foiling the get-away of an armed robber who victimized my buddy's 7-11 store. The cop crashed his car into 2 different vehicles while responding, and when he saw me in a shooting stance up against a building pointing my weapon "up range" he said "You better do something with that gun..." I moved my arms toward him with the barrel still downrange and the butt heading toward his hands and said "Why don't YOU do something with it?" he took it from me, the cops caught the robber and get away driver, and my gun was returned to me after the fact. Thank GOD not a shot was fired by anyone!

4. >>OFF TOPIC<< I am a locksmith and safe-cracker. There exists a nationwide epidemic of criminal scammers invading our industry utilizing tactics such as procurement of hundreds to thousands of telephone numbers, causing those numbers to be listed to phony addresses where the scammers have no physical presence, Bait and Switch, and unnecessary destruction of consumers' locks. I have authored a consumer education website "TheLocksmithPolice.com" and I encourage everyone to read that site, including the "Exhibits" folder and the "Legal Documents" folder to read the lawsuit that I authored. The day I filed the suit I personally visited the attorney who at that time was the "agent for service" for some of the defendants. We spent several hours talking. When I let him start reading my complaint, he asked me "Who helped you with this?" He didn't believe me when I told him "No One." Once again he asked "Who helped you with this?" I finally told him that starting at age 18 I was employed as a PROCESS SERVER in California and that I had read every paper I served. I further informed him that "I didn't NEED any help to draft a civil complaint."

VERY OFF TOPIC (and almost a necessity!) I have had printed business cards. "normal" on one side. on the back it says "Learn about the "Invasion of the Locksmith Scammers"........... I routinely hand the BACK of my business card to people and subsequently tell them: "This is your reading assignment! ....
After you complete your reading assignment, you will understand why you want to tell all of your family and friends to put my number (or "the number of a locksmith you can trust") into your phone under locksmith in case of emergencies... because Giggle, Yahell, 411, and those big yellow books are NOT YOUR FRIENDS ANYMORE!"

Whether I ever get a local to Phoenix job out of this forum or not is not relevant. What is ESSENTIAL is that y'all are made to be aware of the nationwide activities of the criminal locksmith scammers and y'alls ability to nip your potential victimization in the bud by finding someone you can trust ahead of time.

I am always open to questions and anyone with concerns can call me at 1-800-313-5397. Clearly I can only respond to calls in the Phoenix market. Just as clearly my inspired intent is to raise red flags nationwide.

BACK ON TOPIC: To The Big Guy and any others in the Vegas market, I've made many trips there over the past 10 years living close. I never knew about the open carry law. Can anyone advise me as to how the various casinos react if and when anyone carrying openly goes in to play?

Thanks and have a BLESSED DAY!
Charley

There is NO statute in NV allowing open carry. Just the opposite, there is no law against it therefore it is legal.

Most casinos will ask you to leave and not come back armed. You will likely find yourself surrounded by a group of security guards who will escort you from the premises. Of course if you refuse to leave, cops will be called and you will be arrested for trespass. It is a private property thing.

Walking down the strip or anyplace else you are pretty much good to go.

TBG

varminter22

I see references to - and a bit of animosity towards - the NRA-ILA and our state liaison.

Has anyone actually contacted our NRA-ILA state liaison in an effort to gain more insight??

Just curious.

Last edited:

CowboyKen

I see references to - and a bit of animosity towards - the NRA-ILA and our state liaison.

Has anyone actually contacted our NRA-ILA state liaison in an effort to gain more insight??

Just curious.

Will they be as responsive as the NVFAC?

Just curious.

Ken

The Big Guy

Just curious.

I have been in contact (one sided) with NRA and ILA over the years and it has been an absolute waste of postage. I never get an answer.

As to our state liaison, I stood and talked to her about numerous items and emailed her some info she requested. Followed up, no response. Emailed her about other topics, no answer.

???

Just by way of comparison, I have contacted GOA several times and always recieved a timely response.

Any suggestions?

TBG