• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effective Communication with Anti-OC Legislators.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Calling and writing the reps and senators who stood against us right now will have no positive impact.

It is really odd that people are writing rude letters to some Senators and Reps who actually support us!

STOP!

There is a plan being finalized to bring these fence sitters over to our side with a coordinated effort through the off session by using constituent meetings, lawful OC events, and planned legislator communications.

These few people who are calling and sending angry letters are hurting our efforts by making OC'ers look like a bunch of unreasonable, hot headed, ignoramuses. And the ugly letters and calls are going to the people who's minds we might have been able to change! Not if you keep that up! STOP!

I know you are mad and feel betrayed. SO DO I! But now is the time to consolidate, regroup, learn from what we did right and what we did wrong, and get ready for the next push.

77zach

Calling and writing the reps and senators who stood against us right now will have no positive impact.

It is really odd that people are writing rude letters to some Senators and Reps who actually support us!

STOP!

There is a plan being finalized to bring these fence sitters over to our side with a coordinated effort through the off session by using constituent meetings, lawful OC events, and planned legislator communications.

These few people who are calling and sending angry letters are hurting our efforts by making OC'ers look like a bunch of unreasonable, hot headed, ignoramuses. And the ugly letters and calls are going to the people who's minds we might have been able to change! Not if you keep that up! STOP!

I know you are mad and feel betrayed. SO DO I! But now is the time to consolidate, regroup, learn from what we did right and what we did wrong, and get ready for the next push.

+ infinity

We only need one senate vote and to get it past Dean. If we all work together there is no reason we can't do this next year.

j4l

Really folks? What are they likely to do,by us stroking their egos,and grovelling even more? Are they likely to suddenly reverse-course on this topic and re-hash next year what they already torpedoed this year?

j4l

But, that said, I do see your points-to an extent.
How about this: a 2-pronged approach. Carot and Stick,if you like.
You guys grovel and beg and ego-stroke for us on the diplomatic front-armed with the BUG of "failing to move onto our path,we have folks willing to work up your potential replacements next election."
That's not blackmail, that's not a threat. That's simply stating "look, represent us, as we elected you to do so,or we will be forced to look to new representation".

Last edited:

77zach

Really folks? What are they likely to do,by us stroking their egos,and grovelling even more? Are they likely to suddenly reverse-course on this topic and re-hash next year what they already torpedoed this year?

Um. Yes. Happens all the time.

j4l

Um. Yes. Happens all the time.

If that's the case then, I'd have to question their reliability and their sincerity. What's to say they wont reverse-course yet again, once the FSA and others raise their opposition to our efforts? How can one trust someone who swings one way this week, then the opposite way the next?
What we need is stick-to-the-guns reps.Not wishy-washy/change with the storm types.

firedog

STOP!

Stogie,
I don’t know how long you have been in the political lobby game (and that is what you are, a lobbyist) but I can tell you nice doesn’t always work. These guys need to know that you are willing to get mean come campaign time. They need to know that a portion of your (Florida Carry) membership is on the leash and willing to deploy unwelcome tactics if they do not truly support your organization. Same with the NRA.

I saw it for many years dealing with firefighter lobbyist. Fortunately the firefighters were 2 million strong and extremely well organized. The legislators did not want them to turn against them at any point in time. They were well received by the public and their voices carried a lot of weight. If you research some of the firefighter’s victories they accomplished what many said could not be done.

Just FYI.. The smile and nod from legislator is taught to them as interns from the beginning of their careers in office

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
You have to know when not to be nice. Now is not that time. You have to use the stick at a time when it will have devastating effect, not before.

j4l

You have to know when not to be nice. Now is not that time. You have to use the stick at a time when it will have devastating effect, not before.

When might that time be, exactly?After they betray us next time?

firedog

Dude, how can a defeat perpetrated by a lie not be the time? Once they are no longer the majority it will be too late. If you can’t get this bill passed with this legislative makeup it will never happen. Them being offended by us will not affect their position on this bill. I still think they need to be called to the carpet for their façade. The senators that proclaimed to support the bill as it was intended and presented to us need to be made aware that we no longer believe their words and only their actions will persuade us. They need to know how many members just rescinded their support for them and are currently looking for other candidates to support. Be it republicans in the house or anyone we can get to run against them next term. I’m done writing to mine and I will wait until I see them personally to voice my frustration. I think your future efforts will only be made stronger and heard louder if we make our views now known.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
When might that time be, exactly?After they betray us next time?

1. Writing threatening letters to the senators and calling them angrily does not help.
Is your goal to yell at them until they say: "Wow, this guy is really mad and is threatening me and my staff. I think I'll make it easier for him to carry a gun!"

2. No. As I said before, multiple times, there will be a coordinated effort to fix this announced in a few days.

77zach

I want heads to roll badly but will defer to Stogie since he has taken the initiative to organize events and is partly responsible for getting an OC bill introduced toTallahassee in the first place. Others might want to consider that.

j4l

1. Writing threatening letters to the senators and calling them angrily does not help.
Is your goal to yell at them until they say: "Wow, this guy is really mad and is threatening me and my staff. I think I'll make it easier for him to carry a gun!"

2. No. As I said before, multiple times, there will be a coordinated effort to fix this announced in a few days.

When has anyone threatened anyone? And with what? All anyone has suggested is to let these clowns know that failing to represent their voters can/should/probably will result in their not being elected next time.

firedog

Threatening with any mention of violence is not acceptable. Mentioning that we are disappointed and “may” be searching for other candidates that truly support our efforts is speaking the truth and will be seen as such.

Please enlighten us as to the “coordinated effort” you speak of. I don’t think the empty holster thing is going to work nor the “I’m fishing” thing either. An “unarmed” polite coat and tie trip to Ft. Lauderdale may be effective if we can put a couple of hundred district constituents in line to speak to her.

I still think the NRA was at fault here and they are as much to blame as the senators.

j4l

I want heads to roll badly but will defer to Stogie since he has taken the initiative to organize events and is partly responsible for getting an OC bill introduced toTallahassee in the first place. Others might want to consider that.

And kudos to him for it,no one's denying that.By all means keep the diplomatic efforts going,BUT- do so armed with the stick of a disgruntled electorate that intends it to be known that future failures are not an option to continued occupation of their positions.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
This is why I haven't sent anything... :p

No one would like to see these people tortured slowly to death than me. And I sure as hell don't want to be nice to them. But I know that they never represent the will of the people. They know the power of their position and will not be swayed by anything but brown-nosing.

Let "Sir" be the new "Phuck You" in your vocabulary. I hate it when people call me sir, because I know what it really means when I say it...

j4l

This is why I haven't sent anything... :p

No one would like to see these people tortured slowly to death than me. And I sure as hell don't want to be nice to them. But I know that they never represent the will of the people. They know the power of their position and will not be swayed by anything but brown-nosing.

Let "Sir" be the new "Phuck You" in your vocabulary. I hate it when people call me sir, because I know what it really means when I say it...

Ok, so we do have a bonehead or two. Every crowd has it's nutbars. :banghead: :banghead:

But by and large Im pretty sure you/and they in Tally, know that no one has shown up at their steps with pitchforks or nooses or called for an armed insurrection in Florida,this one above me,being the exception.

10x

Maybe you can give us a hint of your plan? I think some of us are angry and might be knee jerk reacting to this. Give us an idea, it would help to cool down things!