• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Handcuffed while OC in Las Vegas 4/13/2011

TigerLily

Hi Everyone.

I just moved from close to the strip to N Hollywood and Carey. I'm right across the street from a high school. I know I'm not supposed to open carry in schools so I avoid walking on that side of the street and oc only across the street where I live.

On 4/13/2011, 2:30 pm, I was walking my dog and came upon a suspect that was handcuffed and in the back seat of the cop's car. Then when I walked by and saw a little girl in the suspect's car.

Two Clark County School District PD's came at me. In the vid and as I recall, the issue was not my gun - it was "the lady with the camera! Here's the you-tube of that initial detainment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4R4hERCaA

I was instantly handcuffed for "officer safety." I REFUSED to cooperate nor give any info except for my name being "Lily." I found out later by my friend, Dave, of Guerrilla Lawfare, (Don't Tread on Me) that by law I didn't even have to provide my name under those circumstances.

I demanded for the entire 56 minutes I was cuffed to be free to go. I had a dog leash in one hand and a video cam in the other. How was I even a threat? These cops got part one of the first schooling that they'll be getting from Dave and me.

I did not consent to jack squat! I did not consent to them taking my gun, or searching my gun's number, or most certainly handcuffing me with my hands behind my back. I kept asking what I did and they said "officer safety."

They violated my 1st, 2nd, 4th, and Lord have mercy - I know I have the right to remain silent - but not the ability. Dave called me on my cell phone that I had in my pocket while I was handcuffed. I managed to poke my receive button and hollered into my pocket to tell Dave I was handcuffed. The cop took my phone (i consented) so he could talk to Dave. Dave gave him schooling #2. Then the cop got another call and he placed my phone on his windshield near me. Dave said he could hear me yacking away but he couldn't make out what I was saying. Dave told me later he was hollering into the phone for me to be quiet. He was afraid I was going to say too much.

I ended up with two more cops and a fire truck at the scene. They were probably looking for any wanted "Lily" in the entire world.

The African American Cop is the one Dave spoke to. He told Dave I was being charged with loitering around school grounds. (I never heard that one.)

To me, the officers claimed they were going to charge me with:

1. Obstruction of justice.
2. Having an unregistered gun.
3. Not having a blue card on me (I didn't tell them whether I had one or not and they didn't attempt to dig into my purse.)

The African American cop ordered me to sit on the curb. I refused and told him that he was going to have to shove me to the ground and I have a gigantic hemorrhoid and I might bleed to death. So he let me stand against the wall.

After at least 30 minutes the Sgt-in-charge (Sgt. Robert Valdez) said my gun was not registered and he was going to press charges with the AG. I laughed and said, "You boys are either dyslexic or stupid. Do it and I'll be living in your home!"

An LVMPD officer showed up toward the end and tried to get me to talk. He asked,

"How much education do you have?"
"Did you go to high school?"
"Did you graduate from high school?"
Then he looked like it was a ridiculous question to ask, "Any college?" (I have a 4-year degree.)
I maintained my composure not to speak. But then I exploded when he said, "The United States Constitution says you have a right to bear arms. Do you know which amendment that is?"
I said, "Don't condescend to me, you clown, I'm old enough to be your mother!"

He gave a couple of fast blinks and left me for a bit. Then he came back and tried to plead with me that I should understand how difficult his job is. "Do you ever watch cops?" I finally told him, "Say, I have a quiz for YOU. Which amendment says that I have the right to remain silent? I WANT A LAWYER AND I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!"

When I was first cuffed I said, "Oh my God. I have never been handcuffed or arrested or in trouble with the law. Are you guys crazy? Do you know what you're doing? Are you guys rookies or something?" The Caucasian officer on the pic said, "I've been with the force for 12 years." The African American cop didn't say jack so I bet he's new.

The Sgt kept asking everyone - "Did you find that statute on the blue card?" No one could find it.

AFTER 56 MINUTES, the Sgt uncuffed me and said he was going to let me slide and not give me a citation for not having a blue card. I told him that I never said I didn't have one and that if I violated any "blue card law" he needs to give me a ticket and I'll see him in court. I told him, "Don't try to do me any favors."

My doggie got loose half-way into the detainment and I made the Sgt. go fetch her. I threatened him that nothing bad had better happen to my dog over their incompetence. He said, "Does she bite?" I was about to say yes, but I wanted my dog to be safe. He got her. My poor little "Izzy." She was shaking.

Life is never dull.

While I was cuffed I did manage to turn my cam back on. Mostly all you can see is my ass and the wall. Since the cops made me stand against the wall it appears they probably forgot I still had my cam in my hands. I recorded some audio and at one time when three or four of the cops were distracted I turned to capture their cars. As soon as I have some time, I'll find that clip so you can all see how many cops it takes to violate an old lady walking her dog who's about to become a grandma next month. The answer: 3 school district cops, a metro officer, and goodness - maybe the fire truck could have helped (NOT!)

I did not know that a couple weeks earlier Metro had kicked the crap out of a guy that was videotaping. I might not have been so bold.

There are many more details, but I'm a reporter for a motorcycle magazine, so I'm on my way to Laughlin. I took a good nap so I can stay up and video tape and get pics of cops violating the rights of motorcyclists. My husband told me there are SWARMS of cops out there at the Laughlin River Run.

Here's the vid of me when I left after having been detained 56 minutes.

That's my husband in the background. Dave had called him to come see me, but Dave kept him on the phone for a while. When my husband showed up (both he and my son are open carriers but neither of them showed up with their guns) he spoke at length with the Metro cop telling him how dangerous his job is - that pulling over people is very dangerous. Damned little liar. That Metro cop wasn't even there until well after I had been handcuffed. He was doing "damage control." I was a little pissed at my husband for thinking "OMG - what did she do now?" Well when I explained the whole thing, he got a first-hand idea of how these bozos work. The Metro cop kissed my husband's ass so much that his nose is probably still brown. But after I explained the details to my husband and he saw the vid, he now understands that these cops are FOS!

Gotta run - I'll probably not have computer access for several hours. Who knows what trouble I'll get into to get a story for my magazine.

Here's the vid of me going home after the 56 min handcuffing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-iQU7hOEo

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I thought Metro was supposed to have been trained after Tim's encounter with them. I haven't looked at your video yet, just read the post. That sucks that you had to go through that.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Having met Lily I know she knows how to handle these cops. Great job. Hope they watch careers implode on themselves. Because of folks like Lily, Dave and others here, I am wanting to be alot more active in exposing these crimes against us.

HandyHamlet

Great post. Well written.

Just more proof that ALL of our rights are trampled on daily. It's not just the Second.

Hope Izzy enjoys the spoils of your settlement after you destroy these @ssclowns with a lawsuit.

Nevada carrier

I loved her response when the officer told her, "If this doesn't pertain to you you need to mind your own business." "But sir this is my business, it's my community."

usamarshal

I'm starting to think the las vegas police officers are some of the most poorly trained officers in the country...haha...I'd definitely contact there supervisor about this incident...hopefully somebody down there knows what there doing. Maybe talk to a lawyer too....see what he/she thinks about this. What the hell is a blue card?

phreak

If it was me, I would send a copy of all the video you have to the Las Vegas Review Journal, they have been giving a lot of page time to the crooks incident. Your incident shows it isn't just a rogue cop rather a lack of training with the police department. Haven't they ever heard of the cop watch organization? I am sorry you had to go through that but maybe someday in police state Las Vegas the police will have an epiphany "we are suppose to protect the people" not bully everyone.

Sabotage70

I'm starting to think the las vegas police officers are some of the most poorly trained officers in the country...haha...I'd definitely contact there supervisor about this incident...hopefully somebody down there knows what there doing. Maybe talk to a lawyer too....see what he/she thinks about this. What the hell is a blue card?

In Clark county we must register our handguns. And the reg. card is blue. Just a simple blue credit card size blue cheap cardboard stock. Somehow they think that you must carry it on ones person. Which there is no law saying that it must be carried.

Vegassteve

In Clark county we must register our handguns. And the reg. card is blue. Just a simple blue credit card size blue cheap cardboard stock. Somehow they think that you must carry it on ones person. Which there is no law saying that it must be carried.

Mine get copied put in the safe and then shredded. I keep one each car in case I go to a store and want to buy a gun. I NEVER carry a blue card.

Last edited:

Sabotage70

Mine get copied put in te safe ad then shredded. I keep one each car in case I go to a store and want to buy a gun. I NEVER carry a blue card.

Mine stay at home also. I don't have the money to buy spontaneously. So I'll plan ahead and grab a card. Unless I'm at Spurlocks. I guess at Henderson shops there's no three day wait.

Lostlittlerobot

side note on the blue card discussion - i showed my CCW last purchase and the store went, well ok that's good enough for us, no 3 day wait.

Funny cause you can get a ccw without actually owning anything, right?

Nevada carrier

I still haven't found the statute that says there must be a three day waiting period for the purchase of your first firearm. I can agree that a store owner may set that as a condition of doing business, but people keep telling me it's a law. Can anyone point me to the statute that requires a waiting period?

SoLasVegas

I still haven't found the statute that says there must be a three day waiting period for the purchase of your first firearm. I can agree that a store owner may set that as a condition of doing business, but people keep telling me it's a law. Can anyone point me to the statute that requires a waiting period?

12.04.080 of the Clark County Code of Ordinances.

12.04.090 provides the exception for people able to show they already own a registered handgun.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16...T12PUPESAMO_CH12.04FIAIGU_12.04.080TIBESADEPI

Vegassteve

side note on the blue card discussion - i showed my CCW last purchase and the store went, well ok that's good enough for us, no 3 day wait.

Funny cause you can get a ccw without actually owning anything, right?

True you can qualify with a rented gun or someone else's. Them taking a CCW is interesting. Was it a Henderson shop?