• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry

suntzu

I know I keep at it--but would you all please contact your legislators and ask them to support a Constitutional carry bill in this state?

We just don't seem to be making any headway at all on this and there is no reason why it can't become a reality.

HvyMtl

Yes, one person may not do any good. Multiple people, however...

Sadly, it has just as tall a hill to climb as it did before the GOP carried the day...

Haslam and Harwell are anti's.

But, as someone said, keep banging your head against that wall, sometimes the wall fails.

suntzu

Yes, one person may not do any good. Multiple people, however...

Sadly, it has just as tall a hill to climb as it did before the GOP carried the day...

Haslam and Harwell are anti's.

But, as someone said, keep banging your head against that wall, sometimes the wall fails.

What I keep hearing from people opposing Constitutional Carry is this :it will take money away from the state and away from those business owners who give the permit classes...SO WHAT? I mean really--there is no reason why we cannot and should not have Constitutional Carry--none.

We need to REALLY get on the ball here. I keep wondering how committed those of us in Tennessee are to Constitutional Carry....How many have contacted the legislators? I have contacted two today. I have wrote articles in other forums asking people to also contact. Who else is doing this?

This wall-like the Berlin wall before it needs to come down.

I would contact the Tenn. Firearms Assoc. to see if they will get on the ball too but that would be a perfectly good waste of time, because they are not committed to it--at least they don't seem to be anyway.

slowfiveoh

Having had a ton of conversation with "Tennesseeans" in this section over the past year and a half, the general consensus is that Tennesseeans "Have it pretty good".

Any attempts at all to point out the complete subversion of their rights by the state, falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:

suntzu

Having had a ton of conversation with "Tennesseeans" in this section over the past year and a half, the general consensus is that Tennesseeans "Have it pretty good".

Any attempts at all to point out the complete subversion of their rights by the state, falls on deaf ears.

They really don't care--no one wants to rock the boat here--they all worship the permit as some sacred cow. I would absolutely love to leave this state and go out west--Wyoming or Arizona maybe...Alaska would be ideal though.

slowfiveoh

So are you two (Kingfish and suntzu) the only ones in Tennessee that wish to see the state comply with the 2nd Amendment?

suntzu

So are you two (Kingfish and suntzu) the only ones in Tennessee that wish to see the state comply with the 2nd Amendment?

I can only speak for myself being in Tennessee--and wishing I was in a free state...I would very much like to see the state give back to the people what was theirs prior to 1796, and certainly prior to the re-write of the state constitution during reconstruction.

I just don't see why the US Constitution is so difficult for people to understand--I mean how hard is it to see that the state--and many states give the people a PRIVILEGE for which they must pay--but the US Constitution gives the people Constitutional rights...

A RIGHT is different than a PRIVILEGE--how hard is that concept to grasp?

Nascar24Glock

I know I keep at it--but would you all please contact your legislators and ask them to support a Constitutional carry bill in this state?

We just don't seem to be making any headway at all on this and there is no reason why it can't become a reality.

I've already written Senator Campfield to thank him for at least introducing a Constitutional Carry bill (SB397). However, I'm not sure how much support is in place for it, since Campfield could not even get a House sponsor for the 2011 session.

I think maybe we should propose several bills for the 2012 session and see which one sticks.

(1) Constitutional Carry. This one would be ideal, but may not have enough support yet.
(2) Permitless car carry. For this one, just simply add "motor vehicles that the actor owns, lawfully uses, or is an occupant of" to the places already exempt from the law (home, residence, place of business).
(3) Permitless open carry. Just add the word "concealed" to the statute. Then, instead of it being illegal to possess a firearm with the intent to go armed, it would be illegal to possess a "concealed firearm with the intent to go armed."

I can easily be in touch with Senator Campfield and with House members Tony Shipley and Matthew Hill. Let me know if I can help with anything.

WCrawford

I've already written Senator Campfield to thank him for at least introducing a Constitutional Carry bill (SB397). However, I'm not sure how much support is in place for it, since Campfield could not even get a House sponsor for the 2011 session.

I think maybe we should propose several bills for the 2012 session and see which one sticks.

(1) Constitutional Carry. This one would be ideal, but may not have enough support yet.
(2) Permitless car carry. For this one, just simply add "motor vehicles that the actor owns, lawfully uses, or is an occupant of" to the places already exempt from the law (home, residence, place of business).
(3) Permitless open carry. Just add the word "concealed" to the statute. Then, instead of it being illegal to possess a firearm with the intent to go armed, it would be illegal to possess a "concealed firearm with the intent to go armed."

I can easily be in touch with Senator Campfield and with House members Tony Shipley and Matthew Hill. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Also, I would suggest (in the least) to have the word "concealed" added to Article I Section 26 of the Tennessee Constitution. This would be harder to get done that #2 or #3 on your list, but I think easier than true Constitutional carry. I see very little political will or support for it from the TRA.

I'm more than willing to "whore" :) myself in the legislator to get people to support any bill that we can come up with, though I would need some instruction from those more experience than myself in this arena.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
They really don't care--no one wants to rock the boat here--they all worship the permit as some sacred cow. I would absolutely love to leave this state and go out west--Wyoming or Arizona maybe...Alaska would be ideal though.

JuSt come north to good ol' ky. Unrestricted open carry, only place not allowednos where federal law prohibits and detention facilities and some courthouses. We can open carry on all other places..all the way to the state capitol.

mspgunner

Constituional carry

What I keep hearing from people opposing Constitutional Carry is this :it will take money away from the state and away from those business owners who give the permit classes...SO WHAT? I mean really--there is no reason why we cannot and should not have Constitutional Carry--none.

We need to REALLY get on the ball here. I keep wondering how committed those of us in Tennessee are to Constitutional Carry....How many have contacted the legislators? I have contacted two today. I have wrote articles in other forums asking people to also contact. Who else is doing this?

I would contact the Tenn. Firearms Assoc. to see if they will get on the ball too but that would be a perfectly good waste of time, because they are not committed to it--at least they don't seem to be anyway.

I am in Misouri, going to vacation there. I like your OC law! I'd like to see constitutional carry in Missouri too. The instructors don't seem to like OC here... It's all about the $

SovereignAxe

*bump*

I'd like to see OC normalized in TN, but as it stands now, everyone I know CCs and I've never seen anyone OC outside of a gun store.

If everyone on the TN boards sends a letter at least asking for constitutional OC, that should at least raise some eyebrows in Nashville. The more times those eyebrows are raised, the sooner a bill gets introduced.

OC for ME

Bumpity-bump. This would be a true statement if every lawfully armed citizen in Tennessee NEVER went the friendly confines of Tennessee. Since may folks do, even the lawfully armed folks, a CCW permit may just come in handy.

If the entire country goes constitutional carry then the fear of loss of revenue would make sense....or not.