• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do I need in order to legally open carry in California

vincentrc

ok so i have an exposed firearm permit but it says "must have valid guard registration" I remember signing some paper saying i can only have my firearm on me while on duty and to and from my residence etc... so with that said what permits, or license do i need in order to legally open carry while im in public in the state of california.

Firemark

Sounds like you have an "Armed Guard" permit. This only protects you while working or on your way to or from your work, and in uniform. I would not attempt to use this as a means to validate open carry at any other time.

If you wish to carry, as an ordinary citizen you need to Unloaded, Open, Carry. You are bound by all of the same restrictions as everyone else. That means you should spend significant time reading about how to Open Carry on this website (click on my signature line). Watch several dozens of available video clips on youtube regarding LE encounters and training. And most importantly be prepared to be arrested and have your rights trampled by an overzealous LEO just becasue they dont like you. Find a group to carry with first, before trying it solo.

If you are not prepared to do all that work, DO NOT open carry!!!
Also do not attempt to flash your "guard card" at a LEO and expect special treatment.

pullnshoot25

Sounds like you have an "Armed Guard" permit. This only protects you while working or on your way to or from your work, and in uniform. I would not attempt to use this as a means to validate open carry at any other time.

If you wish to carry, as an ordinary citizen you need to Unloaded, Open, Carry. You are bound by all of the same restrictions as everyone else. That means you should spend significant time reading about how to Open Carry on this website (click on my signature line). Watch several dozens of available video clips on youtube regarding LE encounters and training. And most importantly be prepared to be arrested and have your rights trampled by an overzealous LEO just becasue they dont like you. Find a group to carry with first, before trying it solo.

Also do not attempt to flash your "guard card" at a LEO and expect special treatment.

Read the FAQ

vincentrc

that is exactly what i have. Ive been researching the internet like crazy about whether or not i need a permit to carry unloaded open carry, but have not came across anything. can you specify what i need or send me a link to some groups in California so i can contact them and get more info.

thanks.

Iopencarry

This is the place to learn how and where you can UOC. Read the FAQ here, and also the link on Firemark's sig line.

Without a Full understanding of the many laws in Ca you would be doing yourself and us a mis-service.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
that is exactly what i have. Ive been researching the internet like crazy about whether or not i need a permit to carry unloaded open carry, but have not came across anything. can you specify what i need or send me a link to some groups in California so i can contact them and get more info.

thanks.

You wont particularly like what I have to tell you. Because you have a permit issued by BSIS here in California, its entirely possible that you would put that permit in jeopardy by practicing UOC in your community. While no one is required to obtain a permit to UOC, you as a permittee under BSIS may lose that endorsement if you are stopped by the police while lawfully transporting your sidearm in plain view. This would certianly be the case if you gave them your exposed carry permit in the course of a stop, and also likely if you just had it in your wallet and they conducted a search.

Job. UOC advocacy. Pick one.

vincentrc

oh well that just blows. lol. so i guess i have to find a new job, lol jk. ok alright thanks for the help. I will keep searching for more info for my situation.

xnetc9

you need lots of balls to deal with douchebag LEOs who think they know the law more than you do. also, keep a lawyer's number handy incase you need to contact a lawyer asap. voice recorder is a must although in the last stop, they took my voice recorder and threw it against the floor, rendering it broken. have a hidden voice recorder instead. lots of LEOS will finger through your clothes looking for these voice recorders as they have done to me.

other than that, good luck.