• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just asked to leave Verizon on 100th and Bridgeport.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I just finished up a call with "Marsha" from Verizon Corporate in Albuquerque. I was told that corporate policy is "NO WEAPONS or FIREARMS" in any of its stores.

Funny thing, I was told I could go to Best Buy or Walmart if I needed to put "hands on " a device to which I told her while laughing.... Those two stores allow lawful carry of a firearm.

from wfmweirt@hq.verizonwireless.com
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM
subject RE: Other (WFM75427955)
mailed-by hq.verizonwireless.com

Dear Mr. Starks,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless regarding our firearm policy. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. My name is Marsha, and I am happy to recap our conversation regarding Verizon Wireless corporate policy. It is our policy to not allow firearms in any of our Retail outlets. Verizon Wireless reserves the right to refuse access to customers if they bear arms in the store.

Please note, that this not intended on an infringement of personal rights, we want to protect our property and employees from any and all threats. Should you need anything further, please feel free to contact us. Thanks again for choosing Verizon Wireless and being the BEST part of the network.

Thank you,

Marsha Vigil
Verizon Wireless- Customer Service
Internet Response Team

papa bear

quote;from Marsha, Verizon customer no service
"Please note, that this not intended on an infringement of personal rights,"
this is one of the dumbest statements i have ever read. the very act is an infringement of our personal rights
"we want to protect our property and employees from any and all threats"
protect them from what threats? a law abiding citizen, using his rights to self-protection. she must think everybody with a gun is going to freak out

Should you need anything further, please feel free to contact us. Thanks again for choosing Verizon Wireless and being the BEST part of the network.
i guess BEST part is still a second class citizen

is it me or does it sound like she was giving an opinion. should there be a written policy on this.

sorry to bash, but just another reason i hate Verizon

amlevin

sorry to bash, but just another reason i hate Verizon
[/COLOR]
[/I][/COLOR]

Lots of choices in the field of wireless. You can either hate Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint. Let's hear it for the Government regulations that allowed these three, and maybe in the near future only two, companies. Remember when we ALL got to hate "Ma Bell"?

Metalhead47

Whats to hate? They're prices are reasonable & competitive, their network gets me service even in BFE, and I've always been treated well at their stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron1124

Security Guard in a Verizon store? I must lead a sheltered life. Haven't seen one yet in any of their stores that I have gone to in several states. Maybe it's Lakewood???????

If a "phone store" needs security guards then that in itself makes a huge argument for carrying a firearm.

I am sure security is to thwart potential theft. All stores should have some kind of security to deter theft, especially if the store associates are busy doing their job.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Verizon

Having been with Verizon for many years and having been in the 2 stores in Federal Way many times while OC I have never personally had an issue. 2 Saturdays ago I had to upgrade my phone (Palm) to a new phone (iPhone). I went in and was greeted by 2 unarmed 3rd party security guards. I waited for my turn (about 5 minutes) and then was helped upgraded phone with no issues and no cost.

I observed the security guards texting and not watching me, or anyone else for that matter. I know my firearm was noticed but nothing was said, which has been a typical experience each of the previous times I have visited.

Here is a video of a previous visit while OC with my daughters.

[video=youtube;fKQWjLKtlUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQWjLKtlUA[/video]

amlevin

I am sure security is to thwart potential theft. All stores should have some kind of security to deter theft, especially if the store associates are busy doing their job.

Electronic security devices, those funny little chips that make alarms sound if not deactivated, are probably a lot cheaper and more reliable than a "room temperature IQ" Security Guard.

Anyone here read of any Wireless Stores being held up lately, or at all?

Metalhead47

Having been with Verizon for many years and having been in the 2 stores in Federal Way many times while OC I have never personally had an issue. 2 Saturdays ago I had to upgrade my phone (Palm) to a new phone (iPhone). I went in and was greeted by 2 unarmed 3rd party security guards. I waited for my turn (about 5 minutes) and then was helped upgraded phone with no issues and no cost.

I observed the security guards texting and not watching me, or anyone else for that matter. I know my firearm was noticed but nothing was said, which has been a typical experience each of the previous times I have visited.

Here is a video of a previous visit while OC with my daughters.

[video=youtube;fKQWjLKtlUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQWjLKtlUA[/video]

nice car :cool:

Aaron1124

Electronic security devices, those funny little chips that make alarms sound if not deactivated, are probably a lot cheaper and more reliable than a "room temperature IQ" Security Guard.

Anyone here read of any Wireless Stores being held up lately, or at all?

Having worked in loss prevention, I can tell you that thieves know how to remove those chips, while nonchalantly looking at the packaging. I don't know why you're assuming people who work in that field have room temperature IQ's.

sudden valley gunner

Having worked in loss prevention, I can tell you that thieves know how to remove those chips, while nonchalantly looking at the packaging. I don't know why you're assuming people who work in that field have room temperature IQ's.

Don't take it personal Aaron, just think of some of your workmates and you might agree. :lol:

I can attest to the same of many folks who work in construction. I simply found there are certain people who will never rise above a certain level. Ever. It's why you have 35 year old labors on construction sites, it is all they will ever be good for and at. Nothing wrong with it it they are working.

I am with Sprint and have never had an issue at any sprint store I have been too. Even though it was reported at one time they were anti.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
After stewing on the email all night, I sent another email this morning..... and got a reply later that afternoon.

Marsha,
After our phone call and after reading your email yesterday (5/3/11) I felt I needed to write you once again on the firearms matter.
As I stated on the phone I have been carrying a firearm for many years and I have begun to see more and more "Gun Free" zones being taken advantage of by the criminal element and I do not wish to see Verizon one of them. If danger presents itself I want to know I have more than a display to hide behind or a Smartphone to throw at them. Cowering and waiting for the police is not such a blindingly obvious choice when you take into account that courage is also a virtue.
By not allowing firearms Verizon has created a “Gun Free Zone.” If a person was to come on Verizon property with a weapon in violation of policy and commits an act of violence is Verizon promising that they will prevent this act, as one would if I were allowed my personal weapon as guaranteed by both the State and US Constitutions? Be aware that the police have no legal duty to respond and prevent crime or protect the victim. In the 1980’s the Supreme Court stated “You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole.” This statement was taken from the case, Warren v District of Columbia. The case involved 3 women who were held captive, raped, robbed & beaten for over 14 hours.
I'm a combat veteran and I've grown up around firearms all my life. I have spent many hours carrying a pistol, attending safety courses & target practice. I hold 5 concealed licenses that allow me to carry a firearm in 34 different states. This means that I had my background checked, was finger printed & photographed and in some cases had to provide references and or competency training. I was on various Army pistol teams during my 10 years in the service. I carry a pistol with me every day, everywhere I go. I don’t shoot people, or have any intention of shooting people. Most people wouldn’t guess that I have a pistol unless I choose to Open Carry. I don’t carry it because I’m going somewhere dangerous and I’ll need it, I carry it because I am responsible for my own safety. The responsibility of carrying a firearm is not for everyone I’ll admit that but carrying a pistol does not make a criminal, and not all citizens jump to this conclusion.
In Washington State over 258,000 individuals are licensed, not permitted but “licensed” to legally carry concealed pistols for protection from violent criminals. I carry a firearm, because no one else should have to run to my rescue. I want to do it without fear of the criminal element, and I don’t want to have to wait for law enforcement if I find myself in danger. It’s not because I want to be able to go shoot up your place of business, it’s just because I want to go about my day and not put myself in a helpless position.
Those of us that carried firearms in Verizon before I wrote on the matter were not causing problems or threatening the staff or customers in any way. I hope that you will forward this email up the chain and that one day Verizon would take a look at its policy and do as many other national chains have done and simply follow state law on the matter of firearms.

I thank you for your time,
Me
my cell number

from wfmweirt@hq.verizonwireless.com
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM
subject RE: Other (WFM75427955)
mailed-by hq.verizonwireless.com

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless, I can understand your view on firearms and am sorry for any concerns regarding this matter. My name is Sharon, let me assure you that Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to enhance and / or meet the needs of our customers. I have provided some more information regarding our feedback process below:

Your comments have been forwarded to our leadership department for review and consideration. Your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future. If additional information is needed, a member of our leadership department will be in contact with you.

Bill, thanks again for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding our firearms policy. I was happy to pass along your comments regarding this matter. We definitely appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Sharon
Verizon Wireless, Customer Service
Internet Response Team

Aaron1124

Don't take it personal Aaron, just think of some of your workmates and you might agree. :lol:

I can attest to the same of many folks who work in construction. I simply found there are certain people who will never rise above a certain level. Ever. It's why you have 35 year old labors on construction sites, it is all they will ever be good for and at. Nothing wrong with it it they are working.

I am with Sprint and have never had an issue at any sprint store I have been too. Even though it was reported at one time they were anti.

Oh, I absolutely know what you mean. My previous employer had a handful of people who were still working as a uniformed security guard, while in their 40's, and had been with the company for years.

END_THE_FED

Lots of choices in the field of wireless. You can either hate Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint. Let's hear it for the Government regulations that allowed these three, and maybe in the near future only two, companies. Remember when we ALL got to hate "Ma Bell"?

I just switched from Verizon to "Straight talk". I didn't really have any complaints about Verizon but I couldn't pass up the price. So I tried it for a month to make sure the service was good. I was happy with it so I ported my number over.

30 days of Service for $30 1000 min. 1000 txts or $45 for unlimited. No contract, also free unlimited 411

It also comes with some "data" but they don't really have any of those fancy smart phones with full browsers so if you need internet on your phone its not for you.

They have both CDMA phones and GSM phones. The CDMA phones use Verizon's network but do not roam on sprint like regular Verizon does. The GSM phones use AT&T I think but do not use their roaming partner. Also you can keep your phone number.

amlevin

I believe my statement referred to a(usually denoting singular) room temperature IQ Security Guard. Based on my observation of those who show up locally, watching the shopping carts at Safeway and wandering around the library, there are more than just a few of them in the field.

amlevin

Having worked in loss prevention, I can tell you that thieves know how to remove those chips, while nonchalantly looking at the packaging.

I worked for a company that had the manufacturer enclose these chips well concealed INSIDE the packaging. In some instances even inside the product itself. Then, in order to "trap" the clever thieves, they'd stick one of those little plastic squares on the outside without anything in it. They'd then just think they had fooled the system until they left the store.

amlevin

I just switched from Verizon to "Straight talk". I didn't really have any complaints about Verizon but I couldn't pass up the price. So I tried it for a month to make sure the service was good. I was happy with it so I ported my number over.

30 days of Service for $30 1000 min. 1000 txts or $45 for unlimited. No contract, also free unlimited 411

It also comes with some "data" but they don't really have any of those fancy smart phones with full browsers so if you need internet on your phone its not for you.

They have both CDMA phones and GSM phones. The CDMA phones use Verizon's network but do not roam on sprint like regular Verizon does. The GSM phones use AT&T I think but do not use their roaming partner. Also you can keep your phone number.

As for companies that have towers and cell sites, it's just the "Big Two" with Sprint a distant third. Doesn't matter what the Name is on your bill, in Seattle for example your call goes through AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint towers.

military50

Verizon Policy

Hey yall,

I used to be stationed out in Fort Lewis, and I know very well that 100th and Bridgeport is pretty sketchy, and I always carried, everywhere.

But now I'm in Minnesota and had a similar issue. So after I was asked to leave I had called customer service, and the lady told me that they have no policy against customers having weapons, just a ban on employees having weapons. I later sent an email, and here is what I posted on the MN OC discussion board...

So, I had sent an email into their customer service line, and they guy who responded was very vague, so I sent a follow up to see weather or not they actually did. Yesterday, I had a lawyer from Verizon Wireless call me. Long story short, they do not actually BAN firearms on their property, or in their stores, but they reserve the right to ask anyone to leave who is OC'ing. I asked him, so if I concealed my weapon it would not be a problem, because then no one would see it. He said, yeah, basically. So we went round and round, and that would be the jist of their policy. Firearms are not banned, but as the MN Statute states, they can ask a person to leave. Not quite sure how to continue on with this, do I keep testing the waters? Should I try different stores? Or should I just leave it where it is and CC while I go in there?