• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just asked to leave Verizon on 100th and Bridgeport.

Just Us

I walked through the door and asked the young lady if it was a corporate store.
Corporate stores can bill things to my account.
Her: yes, what brings you in today?
Me: Need to get a bluetooth.
Her: For what phone? (As she looked down at my protection device, firearm)
Me: Droid X (as I pulled the phone out of my pocket)
Security guard walks up to me.
Him: Can you leave it in your car? (I looked at him) Possible to cover it or leave it..(I kinda stopped him)
Me: I'm. Not allowed to cover it I don't have my cpl on me. (It seemed as he didn't want to send me away, but he was just doing his job.)
Him: possible to leave it in the car?
Me: I'll go
Him: I'm just asked to(as I cut him off)
Me: No other store has a problem with it.
Him: We had a problem once.
Me: It's okay I'll go somewhere else. I'll also be writing a letter. (I left)

All of this was done in normal talking voices.
A side note, it looked like he really didn't want to talked about leaving, or maybe a little nervous.
I think he could tell I wasn't happy with the decision.
Putting ourselves out there we must always try to stay polite and respectful as possible no matter what the situation.

Last edited:

Savage206

switch providers

hmmm I guess let us know what you find out. I use Verizon as well and my 2 yr contract is about to be up. If Verizon's corporate policy is anti-open carry I will have no problem switching service providers out of principle. I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Just Us said:
Him: possible to leave it in the car?
Me: I'll go
Him: I'm just asked to(as I cut him off)
Me: No other store has a problem with it.
Him: We had a problem once.
Me: It's okay I'll go somewhere else. I'll also be writing a letter. (I left)

All of this was done in normal talking voices.
A side note, it looked like he really didn't want to talked about leaving, or maybe a little nervous.
I think he could tell I wasn't happy with the decision.
Putting ourselves out there we must always try to stay polite and respectful as possible no matter what the situation.

First and foremost, it is their right to asked you to leave or cover up, does not matter if you, I or anyone else will like it or not.
You contradict yourself about needing to be polite and respectful but you disclose "as I cut him off", "no other store has a problem", "I'll go somewhere else" and of course the famous last words "I'll also be writing a letter" none of which was polite or respectful.

Last edited:

Just Us

First and foremost, it is their right to asked you to leave or cover up, does not matter if you, I or anyone else will like it or not.
You contradict yourself about needing to be polite and respectful but you disclose "as I cut him off", "no other store has a problem", "I'll go somewhere else" and of course the famous last words "I'll also be writing a letter" none of which was polite or respectful.

First, I understand they have the right.
Second, there is a word in it that says TRY.
Third, contradict?????????????????????????
Forth, no other store has a problem-I'll go somewhere else-I'll also be writing a letter; doesn't say I wasn't polite or respectful to the guard.
Fifth, you missed the part of normal talking voices.

There is nothing in the constitution that says I MUST STAY AND SHOP.
This was all in the time frame of a minute.

I do appreciate input, even yours; just as long as you appreciate a responce, even mine.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
First, I understand they have the right.
Second, there is a word in it that says TRY.
Third, contradict?????????????????????????
Forth, no other store has a problem-I'll go somewhere else-I'll also be writing a letter; doesn't say I wasn't polite or respectful to the guard.
Fifth, you missed the part of normal talking voices.

There is nothing in the constitution that says I MUST STAY AND SHOP.
This was all in the time frame of a minute.

I do appreciate input, even yours; just as long as you appreciate a responce, even mine.

Just by saying try does not make it a positive encounter on your part as either covering up or complying with the store request you would have been able to discuss the issue in a more positive manner that may well have removed that barrier.
Once someone starts to cut someone short or interrupt someone it is just plain rude and disrespectful so all in all you lost in making this an educational or positive encounter.

Of course it is everyone's right to shop where they are welcomed and by all means but it appears to me crossing those bridges do more good then harm.

Just Us

Just by saying try does not make it a positive encounter on your part as either covering up or complying with the store request you would have been able to discuss the issue in a more positive manner that may well have removed that barrier.
Once someone starts to cut someone short or interrupt someone it is just plain rude and disrespectful so all in all you lost in making this an educational or positive encounter.

Of course it is everyone's right to shop where they are welcomed and by all means but it appears to me crossing those bridges do more good then harm.

+++
Alright, you make a good point!

This is the first time I've ever been asked to leave anyplace since I started OCing Jan. 2010. It was a little disturbing to me. I've talked to a bit of people during other occasions, including tribal police. Another learning experience!!

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I don't think it's their "corporate" policy at all, sounds like something specific with that store ("...we had a problem once") I've OC'd plenty of times at the corporate store across from Everett Mall, think it was even the manager we were dealing with, only thing ever said was by a sales guy walking past:

"Um, excuse me... do you know your hammer is back?" :rolleyes:

amlevin

Security Guard in a Verizon store? I must lead a sheltered life. Haven't seen one yet in any of their stores that I have gone to in several states. Maybe it's Lakewood???????

If a "phone store" needs security guards then that in itself makes a huge argument for carrying a firearm.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

You did just fine Just us. Just like they had the right to ask you to leave you had the right not to continue conversing with him. Just because you "cut someone off" doesn't always make you rude, you had better things to do than argue with him that made you the better person in that situation.

By the way glad to have met you at Starbucks and then the Rally yesterday. Good to put faces to the names. And seeing your manner of speaking and talking I can envision how you handled the situation and disagree with one of the rudest posters on this forum trying to give you a "civility" lesson.

Carry on.

sudden valley gunner

I must be missing something, where in the quoted conversation you list, does it show him, or anyone else, telling you to leave?

It didn't that was an assumption on another poster part. He just chose to leave and end the conversation because they were not respecting his right to bear arms.

papa bear

hey to everyone in Washington.

i have Verizon

one of my helpers has an i-phone and needed to get some service done. we were working in a town that had the only apple store around, so we went there on the way home. i thought maybe since this was a pretty progressive corp. i thought they might have objected to me carrying. even though most of the staff looked fairly young no one say anything and i did try to interact with them. one of the customer even congratulated me for upholding the 2ndA
I agree with the OP about being polite, i am always polite. and i used to be in the repo business. i believe in being friendly, fair , but firm. if the store was not posted, they would have to had to ask me to leave. and of course i would have.
maybe you might have asked what the incident was and talked to them about it. maybe even got them to understand that you were a safe person

Bill Starks

State Researcher
We have had issues in the past at the Tacoma Mall Blvd store with the security guard who wears what looks to be track pants with a stripe down the side. No other security guard has had an issue when I go in there, Just him.

Just Us

First of all I met a couple more people yesterday. SVG was one of them. Definately good people out there.
Amzbrady he isn't armed and looked barely old enough.
I do believe, if I remember right, there was a post about a lakewood store last year. The guy was really rude of what it was saying. Before people start jumping, I didn't remember it till afterward. I wasn't specifically asked to leave, either cover or put it in your car was word enough. What was stated is accurate as I wrote it up sitting in the parking lot at the starbucks attached to their building. Where we meet monthly.
Right, I couldv'e asking more questions.
Last, I do appreciate the input from everyone including BigDave and papa bear out of N.C.
Lots of us have helped get us where we are. I believe there is a right time to step up, and a wrong time. I learned it the hard way through living and learning!

Just Us

We have had issues in the past at the Tacoma Mall Blvd store with the security guard who wears what looks to be track pants with a stripe down the side. No other security guard has had an issue when I go in there, Just him.

Probably the same security company. Do you know if anyone has ever written a letter to corporate? if so, any responce?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Problem with most security officers is a lack of indepth training ie firearms laws and usually get their info from around the water cooler and locker room of so and so said who had no understanding of them and likely not even know where to find the laws that would apply.
Numerous times the employees rely up on the security officer to know and they rely up the business to know so when something happens they make something up and go with it.
Upon the contact even though their is likely an over abundant lack of knowledge by the security officer but still having the right of the business to restrict firearms possession and until it can be later straighten out we are obligated to follow their direction or leave.