Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where to OC and where not?

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar

where to OC and where not?

anyone thought of compiling a list? of places that OC are accepted without issues?

Such as stores, resturaunts, gas stations, pet stores?

I know that KTP allows it happily. What about Cabelas? i've seen conflicting signage there.

a list like this could make avoiding getting booted out of places alot more simple :-)

If legal, go.

If a store has an issue, take note and move along.

well i usually do. however my future wife is growing tired of having to leave because of me :-D haha

think shes also getting tired of buying everything at KTP because i know i wont have an issue there haha. i know walmart is a no-go. anyone know about Target? Shaws? Hannaford? CVS? who actually is known to comply with state law?

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    think shes also getting tired of buying everything at KTP because i know i wont have an issue there haha. i know walmart is a no-go. anyone know about Target? Shaws? Hannaford? CVS? who actually is known to comply with state law?
    Walmart is usually not a "no-go" Biddeford kicked me out, but it's on a store by store basis, so others have been fine. Never had a problem with Target (Biddeford, South Portland), Shaws (Biddeford), Hannaford (Portland, Saco, Biddeford, Sanford), CVS (Biddeford, Congress Street Portland), Lowes (Sanford, Biddeford, Portland), Home Depot (Biddeford), Staples (Biddeford, South Portland, Falmouth) Irving/Circle K (Biddeford, Saco, Others), Cumberland Farms (Many throughout state)

Basically I OC EVERYWHERE. There are very few places that have asked me to leave. Several have asked if I had a permit, but rarely to leave. Walmart in Biddeford and The Maine Mall I think are the only two places that have asked me to leave in 3 years of OCing almost daily.

your right boyscout. Just Oc'ed from prospect st biddo to hannaford. walked in, got a energy drink and a pack of butts. shift leader took a look at my gun, said "nice S&W" smiled and continued the transaction. went just fine. only issue i had was a pesky cop circled every block back from hannaford to prospect. didnt stop me though. just eyed me real hard. however i saw you had a run in with them last year on youtube. maybe they learned their lesson :-) gonna try scarborough walmart later tonight. see how that turns out :-) thanks for the help.

been Ocing 8 years, but im from the sunday river region so im not used to doing it in sucha populated area. thanks again

your right boyscout. Just Oc'ed from prospect st biddo to hannaford. walked in, got a energy drink and a pack of butts. shift leader took a look at my gun, said "nice S&W" smiled and continued the transaction. went just fine. only issue i had was a pesky cop circled every block back from hannaford to prospect. didnt stop me though. just eyed me real hard. however i saw you had a run in with them last year on youtube. maybe they learned their lesson :-) gonna try scarborough walmart later tonight. see how that turns out :-) thanks for the help.

been Ocing 8 years, but im from the sunday river region so im not used to doing it in sucha populated area. thanks again
    Yes, I did have an issue with BPD last year and the chief assured me that the entire department got retraining on the issue. It sounds like they acted appropriately.

hahaha. if you have the stones to wear a speedo, you have the stones to wear a gun haha. maybe you could find a holster made of speedo-esque fabric. gotta match right haha

Accomplished Advocate
    KTP wasn't always OC friendly! Like many other places, they needed a gentle shove to see the light.

yeah i have had a few of their "greeters" attempt to tell me that i couldnt carry in there. all it took was a call for a manager and it was all cleared up. i think if a place is going to make a press release saying they are OC friendly as KTP did. that they should train their associates on that decision. Went there yesterday however to pick up a new blackhawk CQC leather holster, had no problems :-) was a good day.

question though is cabelas OC friendly? i remember a few months ago before you got to the firearms check-in station , they had a sign in the entry way saying only CCW and legally open carried firearms didnt have to be checked in. and now that sign is replaced with one that says CCW....and i remember a while back corperate had said they were not supportive of OC.........so im confused on that one still

Accomplished Advocate
    yeah i have had a few of their "greeters" attempt to tell me that i couldnt carry in there. all it took was a call for a manager and it was all cleared up. i think if a place is going to make a press release saying they are OC friendly as KTP did. that they should train their associates on that decision. Went there yesterday however to pick up a new blackhawk CQC leather holster, had no problems :-) was a good day.

question though is cabelas OC friendly? i remember a few months ago before you got to the firearms check-in station , they had a sign in the entry way saying only CCW and legally open carried firearms didnt have to be checked in. and now that sign is replaced with one that says CCW....and i remember a while back corperate had said they were not supportive of OC.........so im confused on that one still
    As far as I know they do allow open carry in the store. I have carried many time here and they have been supportive. But on the other hand they will not put any of our fliers up because not all if their customers may not agree with our stance. According to corporate.

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    As far as I know they do allow open carry in the store. I have carried many time here and they have been supportive. But on the other hand they will not put any of our fliers up because not all if their customers may not agree with our stance. According to corporate.

sweet. that makes life easier, driving all the way to KTP for ammo is not fun, only worth it if im picking up new weapons. Also going to try Panera bread, Dicks, and Admerals fire supply :-) need a nice black leather double mag holster ;-)
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Accomplished Advocate
    sweet. that makes life easier, driving all the way to KTP for ammo is not fun, only worth it if im picking up new weapons. Also going to try Panera bread, Dicks, and Admerals fire supply :-) need a nice black leather double mag holster ;-)
    Make SURE you have a voice recorder on you... and call me if anything bad happens.

iv also oc in cabelas with out a problem! i also havnt seen the sign they had in the past.

xd over

it was right in the entry way, big A sign that says you have to check your weapons, said something about OC a while ago, now its gone lol but im heading there in 15 or so , if i get booted, oh well KTP it is :-D haha
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

dicks sporting goods was alright. no issues, admeral fire and safety was closed. scarborough walmart booted me right as i entered. Kohls was good :-) got some new pants!

Accomplished Advocate
    dicks sporting goods was alright. no issues, admeral fire and safety was closed. scarborough walmart booted me right as i entered. Kohls was good :-) got some new pants!
    Booted you???? was it a manager? They are the only people that can ask you to leave...

it was right in the entry way, big A sign that says you have to check your weapons, said something about OC a while ago, now its gone lol but im heading there in 15 or so , if i get booted, oh well KTP it is :-D haha
    It says check your weapons if they're brought in for repair or trade or something to that effect. Not that ALL weapons need to be checked.

Booted you???? was it a manager? They are the only people that can ask you to leave...

sure was. walked past the greeter, got to about the first frozen case right past the fruit, and was approached by a guy in a white shirt and walkey talkey and asked to leave due to "corp policy". oh well, wasnt expecting walmart to be cool with it haha. from now on i shop at target. never really had an issue in the South Portland store by gap and all that :-)

sure was. walked past the greeter, got to about the first frozen case right past the fruit, and was approached by a guy in a white shirt and walkey talkey and asked to leave due to "corp policy". oh well, wasnt expecting walmart to be cool with it haha. from now on i shop at target. never really had an issue in the South Portland store by gap and all that :-)
    All Targets have always been good with me. I was approached by a Loss Prevention person in the Biddeford Target and he asked if I had a CCW permit. I told him I did and he said to have a good day, he just wanted to make sure I was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    All Targets have always been good with me. I was approached by a Loss Prevention person in the Biddeford Target and he asked if I had a CCW permit. I told him I did and he said to have a good day, he just wanted to make sure I was okay.

Sadly i do not have my CCW yet. classes are too few and far between, and way too expensive. i would love to have mine only for vehicle carry and for places like walmart ect so i could cover up. but when i have the money, there are no classes for months, and when there is i dont have the money. Also finding it difficult to bring myself to pay over $100 for someone to tell me basically how to cover my weapon , seeing as i already know how to safely carry it lol.

Sadly i do not have my CCW yet. classes are too few and far between, and way too expensive. i would love to have mine only for vehicle carry and for places like walmart ect so i could cover up. but when i have the money, there are no classes for months, and when there is i dont have the money. Also finding it difficult to bring myself to pay over $100 for someone to tell me basically how to cover my weapon , seeing as i already know how to safely carry it lol.
    I took my NRA Basic Pistol in NH for $50. There's one in Manchester NH on 5/28 for $50 and one for $70 in Scarborough, ME on 6/21
    Last edited by boyscout399; 05-05-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    I took my NRA Basic Pistol in NH for $50. There's one in Manchester NH on 5/28 for $50 and one for $70 in Scarborough, ME on 6/21

are those just classroom or range as well? the secondary issue i have is most require at range 3 magazines, and 300+ rounds. i have 2 magazines and seeing as i use a 6904........mags arnt easily located haha

are those just classroom or range as well? the secondary issue i have is most require at range 3 magazines, and 300+ rounds. i have 2 magazines and seeing as i use a 6904........mags arnt easily located haha
    I took mine at the Manchester place and it was range and classroom. They provided .22 pistols and ammo. It was a small indoor range. The course wasn't very good, but it satisfied the requirement.

think im gonna break down and get my CCW this week. sick of carrying around statute printouts on vehicle carry incase i get pulled over. and sick of the whole danger of loading/unloading in or out of the car, rather just keep it holstered all the time haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast