• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where to OC and where not?

carry for myself

All Targets have always been good with me. I was approached by a Loss Prevention person in the Biddeford Target and he asked if I had a CCW permit. I told him I did and he said to have a good day, he just wanted to make sure I was okay.

Sadly i do not have my CCW yet. classes are too few and far between, and way too expensive. i would love to have mine only for vehicle carry and for places like walmart ect so i could cover up. but when i have the money, there are no classes for months, and when there is i dont have the money. Also finding it difficult to bring myself to pay over $100 for someone to tell me basically how to cover my weapon , seeing as i already know how to safely carry it lol.

boyscout399

Sadly i do not have my CCW yet. classes are too few and far between, and way too expensive. i would love to have mine only for vehicle carry and for places like walmart ect so i could cover up. but when i have the money, there are no classes for months, and when there is i dont have the money. Also finding it difficult to bring myself to pay over $100 for someone to tell me basically how to cover my weapon , seeing as i already know how to safely carry it lol.

I took my NRA Basic Pistol in NH for $50. There's one in Manchester NH on 5/28 for $50 and one for $70 in Scarborough, ME on 6/21

Last edited:

carry for myself

I took my NRA Basic Pistol in NH for $50. There's one in Manchester NH on 5/28 for $50 and one for $70 in Scarborough, ME on 6/21

are those just classroom or range as well? the secondary issue i have is most require at range 3 magazines, and 300+ rounds. i have 2 magazines and seeing as i use a 6904........mags arnt easily located haha

boyscout399

are those just classroom or range as well? the secondary issue i have is most require at range 3 magazines, and 300+ rounds. i have 2 magazines and seeing as i use a 6904........mags arnt easily located haha

I took mine at the Manchester place and it was range and classroom. They provided .22 pistols and ammo. It was a small indoor range. The course wasn't very good, but it satisfied the requirement.

carry for myself

think im gonna break down and get my CCW this week. sick of carrying around statute printouts on vehicle carry incase i get pulled over. and sick of the whole danger of loading/unloading in or out of the car, rather just keep it holstered all the time haha

Claytron

For ccw classes you can check cabelas they have a paper at the gun information counter that lists names of some individuals that do classes in their spare time. I took my class with a police officer who I think said hes been on the force for 20 years. The class itself involved no range time which i preferred, less money for me to spend, and it did include a lot of great information that you dont typically get at a lot of more well known places like gun retention and and some info on the law.

From what i understand you can only teach the law portion if you are a police officer or an attorney so it can cost a bit more to find someone qualified. What i enjoyed about class, which by the way was a one on one session that took place right in the officers home, was the no BS attitude he gave me. Like i said hes been a cop for 20 years and one of the first things he stressed to me was: Never, ever talk to the cops anymore than you have to.

He explained things to watch out for from cops and the best way to talk to them. I basically got a LOT of information that you just cant get from the NRA handbook that most instructors teach from... Not only did i get the training in technique and law but i also got his opinions and advice on how things work locally and what to watch out for.

My class was by someone by the last name of Fontaine, he charged 100 dollars and the class lasted about 5 hours. He can do groups or solo sessions and offered to do it inhome for the same price but i chose his place for space reasons. All in all i would highly recommend his class, lots of awesome information and advice you probably wont get elsewhere. When i called him for the first time just to get info, we ended up chatting for over an hour about all kinds of stuff regarding guns and carrying, hes genuinely good dude and knows his stuff... he also served two tours in iraq doing up close and personal stuff like clearing house etc.. so i believe him to be the real deal, not just some plumber or manager at wendys who decided to become NRA certified.

Also as far as OCing goes, i open carried tonight at the hannafords in westbrook and didnt have any issues, i walked by the manager as him and a stocker were talking and im pretty sure they both noticed i was carrying but theirs eyes went back up as quick as they went down so i dont think they really cared. Also carried at the cumberland farms and no problems.

Last edited:

carry for myself

For ccw classes you can check cabelas they have a paper at the gun information counter that lists names of some individuals that do classes in their spare time. I took my class with a police officer who I think said hes been on the force for 20 years. The class itself involved no range time which i preferred, less money for me to spend, and it did include a lot of great information that you dont typically get at a lot of more well known places like gun retention and and some info on the law.

From what i understand you can only teach the law portion if you are a police officer or an attorney so it can cost a bit more to find someone qualified. What i enjoyed about class, which by the way was a one on one session that took place right in the officers home, was the no BS attitude he gave me. Like i said hes been a cop for 20 years and one of the first things he stressed to me was: Never, ever talk to the cops anymore than you have to.

He explained things to watch out for from cops and the best way to talk to them. I basically got a LOT of information that you just cant get from the NRA handbook that most instructors teach from... Not only did i get the training in technique and law but i also got his opinions and advice on how things work locally and what to watch out for.

My class was by someone by the last name of Fontaine, he charged 100 dollars and the class lasted about 5 hours. He can do groups or solo sessions and offered to do it inhome for the same price but i chose his place for space reasons. All in all i would highly recommend his class, lots of awesome information and advice you probably wont get elsewhere. When i called him for the first time just to get info, we ended up chatting for over an hour about all kinds of stuff regarding guns and carrying, hes genuinely good dude and knows his stuff... he also served two tours in iraq doing up close and personal stuff like clearing house etc.. so i believe him to be the real deal, not just some plumber or manager at wendys who decided to become NRA certified.

Also as far as OCing goes, i open carried tonight at the hannafords in westbrook and didnt have any issues, i walked by the manager as him and a stocker were talking and im pretty sure they both noticed i was carrying but theirs eyes went back up as quick as they went down so i dont think they really cared. Also carried at the cumberland farms and no problems.

yeah i've broken down, gonna take the course with my GF at cabelas thats coming up. just sick of having to unload my pistol every 18 minutes during my day.

and i dont believe i've ever had a problem with cumbys. X-tra mart in saco is also great with OC. so is irving in kennebunk. just will be glad in 40 some odd days when i get my CCW so i can carry to walmart. although my Smith & wesson is a bit bulky to conceal, so im thinking about picking up a Kahr K40 today for a CCW weapon for days that i do not OC. :banana:

carry for myself

yeah i've broken down, gonna take the course with my GF at cabelas thats coming up. just sick of having to unload my pistol every 18 minutes during my day.

and i dont believe i've ever had a problem with cumbys. X-tra mart in saco is also great with OC. so is irving in kennebunk. just will be glad in 40 some odd days when i get my CCW so i can carry to walmart. although my Smith & wesson is a bit bulky to conceal, so im thinking about picking up a Kahr K40 today for a CCW weapon for days that i do not OC. :banana:

scratch that. just called Western maine property proteciton. for the same price advertised at cabela's, they are sending a instructor to our HOUSE to give us the course hahahahah i like this company! :-D:banana::banana:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
scratch that. just called Western maine property proteciton. for the same price advertised at cabela's, they are sending a instructor to our HOUSE to give us the course hahahahah i like this company! :-D:banana::banana:
You could get away with going to the issuing authority and proving proper firearms handling/knowledge. The law states something to the effect of proving firearms and related knowledge. I'm sure boyscout can pop the statute in for you, I'm doing a final and can't right now. But ya, you don't HAVE to take a course.

Claytron

You could get away with going to the issuing authority and proving proper firearms handling/knowledge. The law states something to the effect of proving firearms and related knowledge. I'm sure boyscout can pop the statute in for you, I'm doing a final and can't right now. But ya, you don't HAVE to take a course.

In my city of westbrook the the permit application itself states that they do not have the resources to meet with people for them to prove their safe gun handling skills and so because of that you pretty much are required to have taken a safety course. I believe the statute even says that this option is up to the issuing authority and as such most departments will opt not to let you do it because it takes them extra time and manpower.

carry for myself

only issue is my DL states i live in saco, recently moved to biddeford, issue is, i dont have a good track record with BPD due to OC. and i called the DMV and if i transfered my address it would not actually show on my DL, meaning BPD would probably give me an issue, that being said that would mean i have to do it through saco PD. the issue would be getting saco police chief to agree to that, which may not be easy lol

therefore im just gonna take the course sadly. then go to saco PD, after getting the permit im going to change my address on THAT wich will save me alot of hassle lol

boyscout399

Though the law provides for showing knowledge of handgun training to the issuing authority, it is at the issuing authorities discretion as to whether they accept such substitute. Most issuing authorities in Maine won't accept the liability and still require a course.

boyscout399

only issue is my DL states i live in saco, recently moved to biddeford, issue is, i dont have a good track record with BPD due to OC. and i called the DMV and if i transfered my address it would not actually show on my DL, meaning BPD would probably give me an issue, that being said that would mean i have to do it through saco PD. the issue would be getting saco police chief to agree to that, which may not be easy lol

therefore im just gonna take the course sadly. then go to saco PD, after getting the permit im going to change my address on THAT wich will save me alot of hassle lol

Title 25 Sec 2005:

2. Change of residence. Except as provided in paragraph A, change of legal residence from one municipality to another during the term of the permit renders the permit invalid starting 30 days after the change is made. An invalid permit is not considered revoked for the purposes of subsection 3.
A. If the permit holder changes his legal residence from one municipality to another during the term of the permit, the permit remains valid if he provides his new address to the issuing authority of his new residence within 30 days of making that change. The issuing authority of the new residence shall immediately reissue the permit with the corrected address for a fee of not more than $2. [1985, c. 478, §2 (NEW).]
B. If the issuing authority of the permit holder's new residence so requests, the previous issuing authority shall provide a photocopy of the permit holder's application, documents made a part of the application and any information of record collected by that previous issuing authority. [1989, c. 917, §14 (NEW).]

So Saco would issue the permit, and you'd have 30 days to go to Biddeford PD and request the permit be changed. They SHALL IMMEDIATELY issue the new permit for a fee of not more than $2.

carry for myself

Title 25 Sec 2005:

So Saco would issue the permit, and you'd have 30 days to go to Biddeford PD and request the permit be changed. They SHALL IMMEDIATELY issue the new permit for a fee of not more than $2.

sounds perfect. changing my address on my license would not change my address ON my physical license , therefor making BPD not accept my application in the first place haha so this makes it much easier, i apply through saco, then change it once recieved to biddeford :-D sweet. you guys are a great help. my head was hurting earlier.:lol:

DanR9745

Gardiner is fairly open carry friendly. The gas stations and convienence stores (Cumby's, Circle K, The Big Apple) in Gardiner are all good about open carry, and I haven't had any problems in Gardiner Hannaford.

carry for myself

admeral police & fire supply co in scarborough maine is NOT.........open carry friendly. not one ounce. didnt get a foot inside the door before i was booted. ehh cop shop buddies. figures lol

PiercedMaineOC

I just recently left my position at Cabela's as one of the firearm inspectors/runners (I'm sure I've probably met, if only in passing, most of you!) so here's the Cabela's scoop: OC is 100% A-OK. There is even a laminated copy of a letter from corporate on the wall by the time clock stating so. The signage at the front of the store is terrible, and most everyone who works with guns at the store will wholeheartedly agree.

So long as your OC sidearm is staying holstered, the folks up front don't want to clear it! Same with your your holstered CCW. If you are coming in for service, or holsters, etc and want to check the fit on your weapon, then and only then will the inspectors want handle the firearm.

That's my 2 cents on OC at Cabela's.

X

carry for myself

you've definately met me then haha i buy 2 or so guns there every month. haha im usually the guy buying the ugly old grease guns, or raven .25's for like $80 because they are cheap haha

jeepnjay

I Have been ocing for a good number of years without a single issue. I notice many have mentioned Wal-Mart as a no go, but walmarts corporate policy is to adhere to the laws of the state and municipality they reside in, according to Chris ????? down at corporate HQ in bentonvill AR. So these managers need to look at their handbook. I am fully within my rights so I never even think about where I go, and have never had a problem.

One time I was at the deli at walmart and a little kid said " Daddy does that man have a real gun?"
-dad "Yup"
-kid "why"
-dad "To keep him safe"
and then dad gave me a nod and pushed the cart away.
Only the second time I have ever had someone notice and vocalize it. Other time was a woman at a yard sale, she asked if I was a cop, then I explained that oc was legal and she expressed interest and asked a bunch of ?'s. I left and another person was more informed about responsible gun ownership.
BTW I do have a cwp but the sole reason I got it was to carry loades in a vehicle.
Jay

Last edited:

carry for myself

thats why im applying for mine on friday when i get paid. im sick and tired of unloading my gun all the time. holstering, un-holstering. im still going to OC alot. just never have to take my gun off anymore ;-)