Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Gun "Buybacks" coming to LA area again May 7TH

FYI: Gun "Buybacks" coming to LA area again May 7TH

The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti-2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

Below is a link to a page with more details on this event.
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...yback-program/

ETA Quote-
    Don’t miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
    Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.
    Last edited by Mike Hunt; 05-02-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
    The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti 2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

ETA Quote-
    Don’t miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
    Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.
    What are the school zones like?

Quote Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
    What are the school zones like?
    They suck. Can't carry my gun there.
    But seriously..... Yeah the one at Florentine Gardens is in a GFSZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I called LAPD and asked if I was allowed to speak with the people turning their guns in and offer to buy them back and they said "no". I asked why not and at first they said "its a private event" and then they said "well its public and its a police event so it would be interfering". Then I asked since its a public event can I film there and they said "no'. I asked why CBS is allowed to film there and I got put on hold......
    Last I checked, speaking to people is still legal.
    PPT between 2 law-abiding gun owners (through an FFL01) is still legal.
    Filming public employees at a public event in public is still legal.

Not trying to flame you here, but dangit, don't expect an honest answer from most LAPD on what's legit. They're just going to BS you.

I called LAPD and asked if I was allowed to speak with the people turning their guns in and offer to buy them back and they said "no". I asked why not and at first they said "its a private event" and then they said "well its public and its a police event so it would be interfering". Then I asked since its a public event can I film there and they said "no'. I asked why CBS is allowed to film there and I got put on hold......
    What a bunch of assponies.

Their response to your reasonable questions only indicate that they do not want us there. (Which is more the reason each of those buyback locations should be well populated by 2A advocates exposing the ridiculous nature of the event.)

It is not illegal to talk to people attempting to turn in firearms.
    It is not illegal to make them a reasonable offer and transfer firearms with an FFL.
    It is not illegal to film the police or the general public while a buyback is in progress.

It is also not illegal to set up cameras and official looking roadside signs indicating that the area is under surveillance in accordance with the law. Or to have smartly dressed professionals with bullet proof vests on, taking photographs of people and vehicles approaching the buyback location while taking note of vehicle descriptions and license numbers and clearly taking on radios.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    It is also not illegal to set up cameras and official looking roadside signs indicating that the area is under surveillance in accordance with the law. Or to have smartly dressed professionals with bullet proof vests on, taking photographs of people and vehicles approaching the buyback location while taking note of vehicle descriptions and license numbers and clearly taking on radios.
    This would have serious effect, methinks.

O.K. this is just too friggin' rich......
    I just watched the 1/2 hour special mentioned in the OP about the gun buybacks on CBS' ch2. One of the organizations spewing anti-2A garbage on this program was an outfit called Soledad Enrichment Action. In their self-righteous bloveations of anti-gun indignation, they mention that they operate a charter school. This happens to be the very same charter school whose GFSZ will be violated this coming Saturday by the Florentine Gardens Gun Buyback location on Hollywood Blvd.

Oh, sweet irony!!

Just go out to the curb and buy back the guns from people there and offer them better. Texas citizens has done this with great success

http://tagtexas.org/169-activists-to...y-philanthropy
    Last edited by stuckinchico; 05-01-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: linking it for simplicity

Someone should hold up signs directing everyone down the wrong street.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

They might as well cut your balls off and rename the city after one in the UK.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison
    An armed society is a polite society. – Robert A. Heinlein
    Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them. – Walter Mondale

Quote Originally Posted by Willm3053 View Post
    They might as well cut your balls off and rename the city after one in the UK.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
    Thanks, fellow Second Amendment advocate! We appreciate your empowering and supportive comment! Now tell us on your 8TH POST what you think we should do next!

Thanks, fellow Second Amendment advocate! We appreciate your empowering and supportive comment! Now tell us on your 8TH POST what you think we should do next!
    And for my 8th POST! If I offended you, my apologies. They try to buy back your guns, doesn't go as they would like, what's going to be next mandatory firearms take in? And if you don't you get charged criminally. VERY UNLIKELY. But hey if you want to turn in your expensive firearms for $50-$200 bucks go right ahead, Cheers.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison
    An armed society is a polite society. – Robert A. Heinlein
    Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them. – Walter Mondale

Quote Originally Posted by Willm3053 View Post
    And for my 8th POST! If I offended you, my apologies. They try to buy back your guns, doesn't go as they would like, what's going to be next mandatory firearms take in? And if you don't you get charged criminally. VERY UNLIKELY. But hey if you want to turn in your expensive firearms for $50-$200 bucks go right ahead, Cheers.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
    No worries man. Just posted this info as an FYI, as I know some on this board (myself included) will sieze any opportunities to disrupt/discourage participation in these events. So to clarify, no, I'm not advocating that anyone participate in this by turning guns in. Quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post
    Someone should hold up signs directing everyone down the wrong street.
    Haha GUN BUYBACK, THIS WAY--------->
    I like it.

Wonder how flamed they would get if one shows up with a cased locked firearm with the apparent intention to turn it in only to be approached, before reaching the turn in station, by a private citizen informing them(within ear shot of LEO and the media), they can get better money if they sell it, and it wont get destroyed.

And the turning in individual, being so horrified that your being sold short and not wanting the firearm destroyed, one offers to simply gift the firearm to the private citizen trying to help out.

(of course the private citizen is the actual legal owner of the gun already, and the one showing up is just a trusted friend giving the weapon back to the original owner).

Can anyone see that interaction as being in any way illegal? make for a great news sound bite, especially since nobody knows whats really going on, (and by the way why are they eavesdroping anyway) and if LE trys to stop you or open the locked case its your weapon carried legally in a GFSZ.

Sometimes I have sick and twisted ideas, figured it be fun to share here and see peoples reaction.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Wonder how flamed they would get if one shows up with a cased locked firearm with the apparent intention to turn it in only to be approached, before reaching the turn in station, by a private citizen informing them(within ear shot of LEO and the media), they can get better money if they sell it, and it wont get destroyed.

And the turning in individual, being so horrified that your being sold short and not wanting the firearm destroyed, one offers to simply gift the firearm to the private citizen trying to help out.

(of course the private citizen is the actual legal owner of the gun already, and the one showing up is just a trusted friend giving the weapon back to the original owner).

Can anyone see that interaction as being in any way illegal? make for a great news sound bite, especially since nobody knows whats really going on, (and by the way why are they eavesdroping anyway) and if LE trys to stop you or open the locked case its your weapon carried legally in a GFSZ.

Sometimes I have sick and twisted ideas, figured it be fun to share here and see peoples reaction.
    Probably not illegal by the letter of the law, but my guess is that it would give the cop enough of an excuse to arrest you, claiming that he "thought" he heard/saw an illegal transfer taking place. And then of course claim good faith, qualified immunity and all that jazz later on. Remember, this is LAPD we're dealing with.

But I could be wrong , and maybe someone with a bit more legal savvy could chime in here.

Probably not illegal by the letter of the law, but my guess is that it would give the cop enough of an excuse to arrest you, claiming that he "thought" he heard/saw an illegal transfer taking place. And then of course claim good faith, qualified immunity and all that jazz later on. Remember, this is LAPD we're dealing with.

But I could be wrong , and maybe someone with a bit more legal savvy could chime in here.
    Who says that the locked case would have to contain an actual firearm? What if the case only contained a slip of paper that stated the following:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We should all remember that this is all political theater- especially the police running the buyback- If you can play the media in the other direction, more power to you.

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Who says that the locked case would have to contain an actual firearm? What if the case only contained a slip of paper that stated the following:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We should all remember that this is all political theater- especially the police running the buyback- If you can play the media in the other direction, more power to you.
    I like it...even better, to see the look on their face when they finally get the box open and .....ooops no firearm, but thank you for violating my 4th rights and not getting a warrant.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

I like it...even better, to see the look on their face when they finally get the box open and .....ooops no firearm, but thank you for violating my 4th rights and not getting a warrant.
    You know the more I think about this, there's a whole list of items you could carry in that case that would embarass the !!!! out of a heavy-handed LEO upon opening your case.

What a deal, I mean look at all those people selling those pistols and rifles for $200 or less. Some granny walks up with a 1911 her husband had left over from the war and bam instant profit. If I had a FFL in kali, oh boy.

Seriously though, you guys need to inform those folks.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti-2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

ETA Quote-
    not ONLY in california, they pull the same shenanigans in a lot of states, i've seen this in texas, indiana and michigan. here's an example of how we handle them in michigan although i doubt this sort of thing would be legal there...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    not ONLY in california, they pull the same shenanigans in a lot of states, i've seen this in texas, indiana and michigan. here's an example of how we handle them in michigan although i doubt this sort of thing would be legal there...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI
    No- that's legal here. Most firearms would need a FFL and the 10 day wait, but C + R long guns would be cash and go. Pullnshoot25 has done this, and with some organization I believe this is repeatable. The problem is getting participation.

www.shop42a.com

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA
    At the very least some footage of police encouraging citizens to ignore the 1000' GFSZ would show the uselessness of expanding them to 1500'.

Quote Originally Posted by ccrews View Post
    At the very least some footage of police encouraging citizens to ignore the 1000' GFSZ would show the uselessness of expanding them to 1500'.
    Just an idea.... if the buy back happen in a zone Citizens arrest baby!!!!! Make it know that citizens are willing to arrest anyone who violates this even for the buy back program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast