• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FYI: Gun "Buybacks" coming to LA area again May 7TH

Mike Hawk

The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti-2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

Below is a link to a page with more details on this event.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

ETA Quote-
Don’t miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.

Last edited:

pullnshoot25

The citizen disarmament festivals commonly known as "Gun Buybacks" are coming to the LA area again, at 6 locations around the city.

For those not familiar, these are events where usually LAPD or Sheriffs will set up stations throughout the city, and encourage people to come in and surrender firearms "no questions asked". The public is often enticed with gift cards ranging in value from $50 to $200, depending on the type of gun. And although the gift cards are sometimes donated by anti 2A businesses like Ralph's, Home Depot etc, I'm quite certain that the LEO manpower for these little shindigs is being financed by you and me and every other John Q Taxpayer.

So while forcing us to pay for coercive citizen disarmament is one thing, here's something else to consider..... John Q Criminal can now make a little more money off that "Gat" when he's done robbing/murdering with it! Yep, just take it on down to the po-po, and they'll destroy that evidence for him while paying him for the privelege! Don't forget, this is "no questions asked". Ah, only in California!

Below is a link to a page with more details on this event.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...with-the-citys-anonymous-gun-buyback-program/

ETA Quote-
Don’t miss the Eye on Our Community special Sunday, May 1, at 6:30 p.m. with Laura Diaz as she looks at the Gun Buyback program and the organizations working to stop gun violence in Los Angeles.-Quote
Channel 2, CBS. Please do not shoot at your television. This could damage your set and void it's warranty.

What are the school zones like?

Ca Patriot

I called LAPD and asked if I was allowed to speak with the people turning their guns in and offer to buy them back and they said "no". I asked why not and at first they said "its a private event" and then they said "well its public and its a police event so it would be interfering". Then I asked since its a public event can I film there and they said "no'. I asked why CBS is allowed to film there and I got put on hold......

Mike Hawk

I called LAPD and asked if I was allowed to speak with the people turning their guns in and offer to buy them back and they said "no". I asked why not and at first they said "its a private event" and then they said "well its public and its a police event so it would be interfering". Then I asked since its a public event can I film there and they said "no'. I asked why CBS is allowed to film there and I got put on hold......
Last I checked, speaking to people is still legal.
PPT between 2 law-abiding gun owners (through an FFL01) is still legal.
Filming public employees at a public event in public is still legal.

Not trying to flame you here, but dangit, don't expect an honest answer from most LAPD on what's legit. They're just going to BS you.

pullnshoot25

What a bunch of assponies.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Their response to your reasonable questions only indicate that they do not want us there. (Which is more the reason each of those buyback locations should be well populated by 2A advocates exposing the ridiculous nature of the event.)

It is not illegal to talk to people attempting to turn in firearms.
It is not illegal to make them a reasonable offer and transfer firearms with an FFL.
It is not illegal to film the police or the general public while a buyback is in progress.

It is also not illegal to set up cameras and official looking roadside signs indicating that the area is under surveillance in accordance with the law. Or to have smartly dressed professionals with bullet proof vests on, taking photographs of people and vehicles approaching the buyback location while taking note of vehicle descriptions and license numbers and clearly taking on radios.

Mike Hawk

It is also not illegal to set up cameras and official looking roadside signs indicating that the area is under surveillance in accordance with the law. Or to have smartly dressed professionals with bullet proof vests on, taking photographs of people and vehicles approaching the buyback location while taking note of vehicle descriptions and license numbers and clearly taking on radios.

This would have serious effect, methinks. :D

Mike Hawk

O.K. this is just too friggin' rich......
I just watched the 1/2 hour special mentioned in the OP about the gun buybacks on CBS' ch2. One of the organizations spewing anti-2A garbage on this program was an outfit called Soledad Enrichment Action. In their self-righteous bloveations of anti-gun indignation, they mention that they operate a charter school. This happens to be the very same charter school whose GFSZ will be violated this coming Saturday by the Florentine Gardens Gun Buyback location on Hollywood Blvd.

Oh, sweet irony!!

Willm3053

They might as well cut your balls off and rename the city after one in the UK.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

Mike Hawk

They might as well cut your balls off and rename the city after one in the UK.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
Thanks, fellow Second Amendment advocate! We appreciate your empowering and supportive comment! Now tell us on your 8TH POST what you think we should do next!

Willm3053

Thanks, fellow Second Amendment advocate! We appreciate your empowering and supportive comment! Now tell us on your 8TH POST what you think we should do next!

And for my 8th POST! If I offended you, my apologies. They try to buy back your guns, doesn't go as they would like, what's going to be next mandatory firearms take in? And if you don't you get charged criminally. VERY UNLIKELY. But hey if you want to turn in your expensive firearms for $50-$200 bucks go right ahead, Cheers.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

Mike Hawk

And for my 8th POST! If I offended you, my apologies. They try to buy back your guns, doesn't go as they would like, what's going to be next mandatory firearms take in? And if you don't you get charged criminally. VERY UNLIKELY. But hey if you want to turn in your expensive firearms for $50-$200 bucks go right ahead, Cheers.

Sent from my HTC EVO!
No worries man. :cool: Just posted this info as an FYI, as I know some on this board (myself included) will sieze any opportunities to disrupt/discourage participation in these events. So to clarify, no, I'm not advocating that anyone participate in this by turning guns in. Quite the opposite.

Firemark

Wonder how flamed they would get if one shows up with a cased locked firearm with the apparent intention to turn it in only to be approached, before reaching the turn in station, by a private citizen informing them(within ear shot of LEO and the media), they can get better money if they sell it, and it wont get destroyed.

And the turning in individual, being so horrified that your being sold short and not wanting the firearm destroyed, one offers to simply gift the firearm to the private citizen trying to help out.

(of course the private citizen is the actual legal owner of the gun already, and the one showing up is just a trusted friend giving the weapon back to the original owner).

Can anyone see that interaction as being in any way illegal? make for a great news sound bite, especially since nobody knows whats really going on, (and by the way why are they eavesdroping anyway) and if LE trys to stop you or open the locked case its your weapon carried legally in a GFSZ.

Sometimes I have sick and twisted ideas, figured it be fun to share here and see peoples reaction.

Mike Hawk

Wonder how flamed they would get if one shows up with a cased locked firearm with the apparent intention to turn it in only to be approached, before reaching the turn in station, by a private citizen informing them(within ear shot of LEO and the media), they can get better money if they sell it, and it wont get destroyed.

And the turning in individual, being so horrified that your being sold short and not wanting the firearm destroyed, one offers to simply gift the firearm to the private citizen trying to help out.

(of course the private citizen is the actual legal owner of the gun already, and the one showing up is just a trusted friend giving the weapon back to the original owner).

Can anyone see that interaction as being in any way illegal? make for a great news sound bite, especially since nobody knows whats really going on, (and by the way why are they eavesdroping anyway) and if LE trys to stop you or open the locked case its your weapon carried legally in a GFSZ.

Sometimes I have sick and twisted ideas, figured it be fun to share here and see peoples reaction.
Probably not illegal by the letter of the law, but my guess is that it would give the cop enough of an excuse to arrest you, claiming that he "thought" he heard/saw an illegal transfer taking place. And then of course claim good faith, qualified immunity and all that jazz later on. Remember, this is LAPD we're dealing with.

But I could be wrong , and maybe someone with a bit more legal savvy could chime in here.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Probably not illegal by the letter of the law, but my guess is that it would give the cop enough of an excuse to arrest you, claiming that he "thought" he heard/saw an illegal transfer taking place. And then of course claim good faith, qualified immunity and all that jazz later on. Remember, this is LAPD we're dealing with.

But I could be wrong , and maybe someone with a bit more legal savvy could chime in here.

Who says that the locked case would have to contain an actual firearm? What if the case only contained a slip of paper that stated the following:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We should all remember that this is all political theater- especially the police running the buyback- If you can play the media in the other direction, more power to you.

Firemark

Who says that the locked case would have to contain an actual firearm? What if the case only contained a slip of paper that stated the following:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We should all remember that this is all political theater- especially the police running the buyback- If you can play the media in the other direction, more power to you.

I like it...even better, to see the look on their face when they finally get the box open and .....ooops no firearm, but thank you for violating my 4th rights and not getting a warrant.