• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anyone here that wanted open carry yet doesn't have a concealed license?

mister45

The reason behind this question is there is so many that are fired up over the open carry and yet they seem that is all that mattered to them, The ability to carry is important and Open carry is far easier, But at least we can still carry and that right is important to me, Is their any one Licensed that feels the same, They are glad that they can still carry concealed even though the open carry did not pass...?

I relish the fact that I can still carry and I do daily, I wish I could not be concerned about it showing any time, But I know that I still must be careful and so I do, But at least I can and do still have the right to carry... tell me your opinion on that...

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
My opinion is concealed carry is a restriction on my right to carry.

There should be no restriction on it nor should I need a permit to do so.

I'm being forced to carry in a way that's not conducive to it's intended purpose and which is for men usually extremely uncomfortable...IWB sucks.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I've had my license for a year and a half, and I've hardly carried, though I love to. First I'm at college most days which totally sucks because campus carry would have fixed that (well it would have fixed it legally, because it's a private university so the state couldn't force them to change their institutional policy of expulsion...). When I'm not there, I still don't carry often because I live in FLORIDA, usually in Fort Lauderdale at that. Has nobody realized it's bloody hot and bloody humid down here? Wearing even an overshirt is unbearable most days. Anything less than that is guaranteed to print, and even the longest shirts I have, in which I look like I just crawled out of da hood, can flash when reaching for things, leaning over, getting in/out of the car. CC is utter crap because it is Impossible to truly and securely CONCEAL any size gun, in a way which is truly and reliably accessible in a SD emergency. Sure, I can stick my m1934 in a cargo pocket, then have to fish around for the grip while leaning over to dig that far down my leg. That's it. Not worth it. Like Ixtow says, it makes you feel safe, it doesn't make you actually safe.
Normal CC, with or without the Bogdanoff-"improved" amendments, is worth less than nothing to me, because I'm more likely to get harassed/detained by LE than attacked by a criminal anyway, unless OC is legal.
I want both, CC for those who think it's better (and for a back up gun ;) ) and OC for real, normal, useful carry...

My rant completed, I actually have found a compromise that suits my needs enough to make me both feel slightly more like a free man, and actually be able to realiably access my firearm, while still meeting the CC laws as currently written, WITH what I consider an exceptable margin of error (which actually carrying in the 'luger holster' does NOT give):
I've only carried in it for a walk around the block, but I've "Empty holstered" it to college, walking right past three security guards, wore it through two turnpike reststops, dunkin donuts, publix, walmart, and church.
Not one person so much as noticed it.
No one said a thing.
Security guards didn't even look at me.
Noone even said "hey that looks cool" or "hey that looks gay" etc. (not to bash gays, but I'd understand if someone thought it looked unlike a "normal guy fashion")
It's a 5x7x2" plain rectangular leather belt pack I made for my little m1934. Flat squared off sides, smooth flat cover flap over the whole front, with covering side flaps too. Noone can see into it in any possible way, it opens easily with one snap but stays closed securely. Holstering strap inside keeps the gun where it belongs unless I need it, then just pop the flap and lift. Goes right on the hip, right where a gun belongs. I can even tuck my shirt in for the first time while carrying.
No one notices.
No one cares.
No one has any reason to assume suspicion that it's a gun, and it ain't gun shaped like the luger holster to imply that's what it ought to be.
Once I start actually carrying in it I'm gonna make one for the 92, doubt it would stay 'under the radar' for anything bigger than that, but that's big enough for most people.

Note: I did not carry at, will not carry at, and do not approve of carrying anywhere it is illegal currently, but I approve of removal of ALL restictions on methods of carry and removal of ALL restrictions on carry-legal locations.

Last edited:

mister45

My opinion is concealed carry is a restriction on my right to carry.

There should be no restriction on it nor should I need a permit to do so.

I'm being forced to carry in a way that's not conducive to it's intended purpose and which is for men usually extremely uncomfortable...IWB sucks.

Thanks and I agree, I wish there was no restrictions on carry of any kind... The only thing I think should be in place on drivers license is the fact that the back ground should show a colored back ground to reveal a convicted felon so that it would help prevent criminals from acquiring firearms. Now I guarantee that will get me some flack, But I honestly think some of the people concerned about Open carry is afraid that with out some form of restriction the bad guys will be carrying too.. silly I know, cause they already carry, But that is and has been what I keep hearing from the gun shops and more..

carry for myself

i do not have my CCW for a few reasons. .....#1 i hate small guns. i like large calibers and large ammo capacities. so concealing is hard to do #2 my current carry rig cost $700. sooooooo i cant afford my CCW haha or the course required to get it ;-)

mister45

I've had my license for a year and a half, and I've hardly carried, though I love to. First I'm at college most days which totally sucks because campus carry would have fixed that (well it would have fixed it legally, because it's a private university so the state couldn't force them to change their institutional policy of expulsion...). When I'm not there, I still don't carry often because I live in FLORIDA, usually in Fort Lauderdale at that. Has nobody realized it's bloody hot and bloody humid down here? Wearing even an overshirt is unbearable most days. Anything less than that is guaranteed to print, and even the longest shirts I have, in which I look like I just crawled out of da hood, can flash when reaching for things, leaning over, getting in/out of the car. CC is utter crap because it is Impossible to truly and securely CONCEAL any size gun, in a way which is truly and reliably accessible in a SD emergency. Sure, I can stick my m1934 in a cargo pocket, then have to fish around for the grip while leaning over to dig that far down my leg. That's it. Not worth it. Like Ixtow says, it makes you feel safe, it doesn't make you actually safe.
Normal CC, with or without the Bogdanoff-"improved" amendments, is worth less than nothing to me, because I'm more likely to get harassed/detained by LE than attacked by a criminal anyway, unless OC is legal.
I want both, CC for those who think it's better (and for a back up gun ;) ) and OC for real, normal, useful carry...

My rant completed, I actually have found a compromise that suits my needs enough to make me both feel slightly more like a free man, and actually be able to realiably access my firearm, while still meeting the CC laws as currently written, WITH what I consider an exceptable margin of error (which actually carrying in the 'luger holster' does NOT give):
I've only carried in it for a walk around the block, but I've "Empty holstered" it to college, walking right past three security guards, wore it through two turnpike reststops, dunkin donuts, publix, walmart, and church.
Not one person so much as noticed it.
No one said a thing.
Security guards didn't even look at me.
Noone even said "hey that looks cool" or "hey that looks gay" etc. (not to bash gays, but I'd understand if someone thought it looked unlike a "normal guy fashion")
It's a 5x7x2" plain rectangular leather belt pack I made for my little m1934. Flat squared off sides, smooth flat cover flap over the whole front, with covering side flaps too. Noone can see into it in any possible way, it opens easily with one snap but stays closed securely. Holstering strap inside keeps the gun where it belongs unless I need it, then just pop the flap and lift. Goes right on the hip, right where a gun belongs. I can even tuck my shirt in for the first time while carrying.
No one notices.
No one cares.
No one has any reason to assume suspicion that it's a gun, and it ain't gun shaped like the luger holster to imply that's what it ought to be.
Once I start actually carrying in it I'm gonna make one for the 92, doubt it would stay 'under the radar' for anything bigger than that, but that's big enough for most people.

Note: I did not carry at, will not carry at, and do not approve of carrying anywhere it is illegal currently, but I approve of removal of ALL restictions on methods of carry and removal of ALL restrictions on carry-legal locations.

As many people over the years have been hurt or killed at Colleges, I feel they should have some form of protection offered to them and guaranteed to them and that is why I'm for college carry, I do not think a open carry on college grounds is wise, but concealed carry should be allowed on grounds and one of my concerns is printing or showing the out line of my Glock, I do not wish to be hassled by the LEO to the fact that I have a gun printing, I know I have not seen any laws saying it is illegal and that is another thing that concerns me, Many times LEO's try to implement their own version of the laws and try to hassle a carrying person, I have seen them and some are simply afraid that even though a person passed and got his / her license, they may still be a crazy... so that is another reason so many people resisted Open Carry... Maybe soon..

carry for myself

yeah good thing about Maine not getting constitutional carry.............i get to save $140 on a new holster i now dont need lol

mister45

i do not have my CCW for a few reasons. .....#1 i hate small guns. i like large calibers and large ammo capacities. so concealing is hard to do #2 my current carry rig cost $700. sooooooo i cant afford my CCW haha or the course required to get it ;-)

lol That is good..

mister45

I have the permission slip and didn't mind IWB until SB 234 failed. Now it's kind of uncomfortable, lol.

I went out a purchased a new holster and now I have it, But not using it cause of this poop... But I will keep hoping that things change...

mister45

not to mention OC is a great conversation starter. and well im bored alot when im not at work haha

I hear that, I still have those that see my extra magazine holders as they tend to stick out since I carry them on the out side of my belt and they then ask if I carry and I say yes, Cause we don't have to deny it, But I can imagine as I used to have a Class G license and carried on my hip all the time, and I always had someone asking why I carried and it did give me things to talk about...

carry for myself

usually when asked why i carry i have the same response. which usually gets a good reaction.

Sometimes goes like this

Joe Shmoe: is that a gun?
Me: Yup!
Joe Shmoe: why do you need a gun?
Me: why do you need a seatbelt?
Joe Shmoe: to keep myself alive incase something happens
Me:.................get it?
Joe Shmoe: ahhhhhh i seee!
lol
works every time

mister45

usually when asked why i carry i have the same response. which usually gets a good reaction.

Sometimes goes like this

Joe Shmoe: is that a gun?
Me: Yup!
Joe Shmoe: why do you need a gun?
Me: why do you need a seatbelt?
Joe Shmoe: to keep myself alive incase something happens
Me:.................get it?
Joe Shmoe: ahhhhhh i seee!
lol
works every time

That is good... lol...

Willm3053

#1 i hate small guns. i like large calibers and large ammo capacities. so concealing is hard to do.[/QUOTE said:
I'm the same way, I have a full size PX4 Storm and I absolutely hate having to CC that sucker, I usually wear an Under Armour shirt but living in Miami is just unbearable and I'm not going to buy a Hawaiian shirt or wear a fanny pack every where I go, if I offended someone that rocks the fanny, I'm sorry..... and the Hawaiian shirt.

Sent from my HTC EVO!

~*'Phoenix'*~

lol. I refuse to do fanny packs and hate having to wear overshirts too. I'm rocking this belt-pack-holster though, it's a step safer than that 'luger holster' idea but it's the same or better carry comfort and weapon availability.

Rick H

I have been carrying in the Tampa Bay area for over a year. I carry a S&W 40 cal. model 411 and I have never once been concerned about printing nor have any LEO ever asked me about it other than asking me what I prefer to carry and I say Openly is preferred and they usually laugh/ giggle. Remember I live In HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY and these LEO are the one's who said they would draw on Open Carriers if this law passes. I aint even worried about printing and I never try to hide it that well. "Covered is all" It looks like a gun, it sticks out far and I even use it for an arm rest/hand rest most of the time. When people drive in the bench seat of my truck (3) wide or more they usually hit their funny bone/elbow on the hammer and b1tch about it and everybody else laughs because it hurts something bad.... LOL.

Rick H

Since my last transmission I have been walking around the neighborhood and there has been 7 LEO driving/sitting around looking for a suspect that broke into a shed in one of the neighbors, Now remember I print very well and I have been talking to them and making sure they could see the printing and not one said anything about it, but they all looked at it very hard and said nothing. That is how it always is around my area. Now yours maybe different.
Oh and I had my twin Mag's showing unconcealed too as to not have them make a mistake.

Last edited:

mister45

Since my last transmission I have been walking around the neighborhood and there has been 7 LEO driving/sitting around looking for a suspect that broke into a shed in one of the neighbors, Now remember I print very well and I have been talking to them and making sure they could see the printing and not one said anything about it, but they all looked at it very hard and said nothing. That is how it always is around my area. Now yours maybe different.
Oh and I had my twin Mag's showing unconcealed too as to not have them make a mistake.

Wow... I'm surprised that they did not at least request the CCW ID... If that was Citrus County, You would have been questioned... Not saying my county is bad, just these idiots that they have as LEO's are mostly ready to suspect that all are carrying illegal... But I have to see what happens next time.. lol

~*'Phoenix'*~

Wow... I'm surprised that they did not at least request the CCW ID... If that was Citrus County, You would have been questioned... Not saying my county is bad, just these idiots that they have as LEO's are mostly ready to suspect that all are carrying illegal... But I have to see what happens next time.. lol

You're in Citrus? I was wearing my belt-pack holster here and Dunnellon all day and noone thought anything of it.