• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg gun-control mobile in Richmond 5/2/11

Blk97F150

From a VCDL Email Alert:

VA-ALERT: URGENT! Bloomberg gun-control mobile in Richmond TOMORROW!
Date : Sun, May 01, 2011 08:52 PM

I have just learned that TOMORROW (Monday, May 2) at 2 PM the Mayors Against Illegal Guns will have a bus in front of the Richmond City Hall (Broad St. and 6th). The vehicle is coming with the support of the anti-freedom Mayor, Dwight C. Jones, Senator Henry Marsh, Senator Donald McEachin, and Richmond Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood.

Some local anti-freedom families will be there pushing Bloomberg's agenda.

It would be great if we could have get a good turnout to protest this farce. I will be there around 1:45 PM to pass out Guns Save Lives stickers and to talk to the press.

It's short notice, but if you can get there to increase our numbers, that would be great!

If you can make it let me know so I can get some kind of a head count.

EDIT: VCDL later sent out this address correction:
For the protest tomorrow, Richmond City Hall is at Broad and 9th streets (NOT at Broad and 6th streets).

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Address correction from VCDL:

For the protest tomorrow, Richmond City Hall is at Broad and 9th streets (NOT at Broad
and 6th streets).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Update from VCDL w/data

Below is a news clip on today's event and also some other good information for those attending the VCDL protest today.

Bloomberg's horse and pony show was in Blacksburg yesterday according to the news article below (we missed that one, somehow). They might stop at some other places in Virginia in the next day or so. I will relay information as I get it.

First, here is a video of a California anti-freedom representative, Julie Leftwich, admitting that there is NO data to show that California's private gun sale registration scheme, "assault weapon" ban, hi-capacity magazine ban, and one-gun-a-month restrictions have made any difference at all in crime (thanks to Joshua Berger for the link):

WARNING: This video depicts graphic whining about "if only other states would also trample on the Constitution, too, then California would be safer." ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYB5A1TyKMM

---------------------------

This ran in an update on April 4, but it bears repeating here and now:

Mayors Against Illegal Guns: A reality check

John ****** emailed me this:

--

Hi, Phil!

I have been doing a bit of research on Bloomberg's group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. They claim a membership of 593 mayors. Of these, 399 (over 67%!) are in only four states - New Jersey (40), New York (108), Ohio (71) and Pennsylvania(180). If you throw in California (21) and Florida (36), they account for 456 (over 76%) of their alleged membership.

There are approximately 8,291 mayors, nationally, of localities with over 30,000 citizens. Even disregarding the fact that a fair number of Bloomberg's group are not even included in that count, due to small constituencies, this means that fewer than 7.2% of the nation's mayors agree with his goals and methods enough to allow themselves to be counted among his supporters.

The vast majority of states, 37,74% (see table below) could produce only 5 or fewer members, from the many hundreds of mayors in each state. In fact, they could not persuade a SINGLE mayor in 12 states to join in their conspiracy to subvert the Constitution (see table below). I am saddened to see that they were able to dupe 9 of our own Virginia mayors. [PVC: Virginia does have some less-than-stellar Mayors. The members of Bloomberg's coalition should be on every gun owner's list to get unelected.]

Alabama - 3, Alaska - 1, Arizona - 0, Arkansas - 2, Colorado - 1, Georgia- 5, Hawaii - 1, Idaho - 0, Indiana - 5, Iowa - 2, Kansas - 3, Kentucky - 0, Louisiana - 4, Maine - 4, Maryland - 4, Michigan - 3, Minnesota - 3, Mississippi - 3, Missouri - 3, Montana - 0, Nebraska - 3, New Hampshire - 0, New Mexico - 2, Nevada - 0, North Dakota - 1, Oklahoma - 0, Oregon - 2, Rhode Island - 0, South Carolina - 2, South Dakota - 0, Tennessee - 3, Texas - 2, Utah - 0, Vermont - 2, West Virginia - 0, Wisconsin - 5, Wyoming - 0

---------------------------

Here is a news blurb (thanks to BIll **** for the link):

From Channel 12, the Richmond NBC affiliate: http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=14551637

2a4all

It appears that there was a good turnout by VCDL membership (and perhaps a few non-members), in spite of the short notice.

Richmond PD Officers were friendly and some appeared glad to see us. I chatted with Captain Smith about 2A rights, Garands and the general bias of firearms against us Lefties. Peter Nap caught us on film shaking hands.

The antis pushed their mantra that "More rigorous background checks will not affect the 2A rights of law-abiding citizens and will reduce gun violence.". The sad part is that they actually believe it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A couple of reporters were asked to dig deeper into just how MAIG/FixGunChecks planned to implement universal background checks, since current law does not allow FFLs to run checks on folks who are not customers, and the response to date from Bloomburg's side has been "We'll get to that once we have a law mandating universal background checks".

In other words, they have not bothered to think the issue through and come up with anything that could make happen what they want to happen. It's actually, IMHO, a bit worse than "We'll have to pass it to see what it says".

Another of their espoused goals is to take guns out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill, and others who are prohibited from possessing guns. How they plan to accomplish that when criminals, some of the mentally ill, and some of the others prohibitted from possessing guns are not going to turn in their guns or register their guns so they can later be confiscated is again something they have not quite yet worked out - or at least they are unwilling to provide any information on how that would be done.

Somehow I've seen this formula before:
1 - brilliant idea
2 - devise a first step
3 - magic and/or unicorn farts
4 - profit!

stay safe.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
021611bloomberg.jpg

post-464-129928978836.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm looking at all the raw footage now and for the life of me, I don't know how to put it together,
This event had the same silly people with the same silly arguments. VCDL looked like they at least equaled the MIAG supporters and that's with just a few hours notice.

Lori was particularly snippy today and used the same silly stories.

I asked Senator Marsh who was paying for this event and he got a blank stare and said "I don't know".

The City police ranged from abrasive to darned pleasant to be around.

I expect I'll post some video of the special happenings. There was one particular question session Grapeshot was in that I'll put up if he agrees.

There was some handshaking that was unusual:lol:

2a4all

How big would Blumberg's Number (BN) be if RKBA's number were zero? The ratio of RKBA to BN is a measure of Gun (or Crime) Control, i.e. More Guns = Less Crime!

Perhaps it can be said that Crime Control is directly proportional to RKBA & inversely proportional to BN.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There were 30 + VCDL members and family in attendance today - great turnout for such short notice. The orange GSL stickers and Freedom is NOT a Loophole stickers were hard to miss.

Had lots of good interaction with people passing in and out of City Hall as well as those just passing by. Didn't hear anything new or startling from the "Bunch" although the various speakers did have trouble keeping their distorted "facts" straight as there were conflicting numbers offered.

Had several really good conversations with a RPD Captain - gave me a renewed sense of faith. Counter balancing that though was an officer that was taking pictures of us with his cell phone - it is a public place. Guess I'm in another "rogues gallery." :lol:

Note to Peter Nap: If you check your files, you should have fully executed "release."
I love asking baited questions, Columbo style ....... I'm so harmless.

Got me one today!! By all means, post it!
It'll be [strike]hard[/strike] impossible to deny what was captured on camera.

BTW - Has anybody checked to see if the "Bloomie Bunch" had a permit? They did seem to be using City Hall power and had city employees speaking on city time.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From PVC's Va-Alert on City Hall

[NEWS FLASH! I will be on the Doc Thompson Show on WRVA (AM 1140 in Richmond) tomorrow, May 3, around 4:07 PM to talk about today's protest!]

On super-short notice, and in the middle of a weekday, over 30 VCDL members, some with children in tow (and one with a child in the works ;-) ) showed up at the Bloomberg horse-and-pony-show this afternoon! All were wearing VCDL's orange "Guns Save Lives" and the "Freedom is NOT a Loophole" stickers.

The message from the antis was that if only we could force all gun purchases to go through a government background check then criminals wouldn't be able to get guns.

My message to the press during my interviews was that background checks do not stop criminals from getting guns, as laws cannot stop criminals from using straw purchases to buy any gun they want or to keep criminals from stealing guns that are lawfully owned. I also pointed out that over 2,000 lives are saved every day by lawful gun owners, as opposed to the 34 that Bloomberg claims are killed daily by someone using a gun (most of which are drug or suicide related).

Since this was Bloomberg's event, I was not allowed to address the crowd, BUT a reporter from the Times-Dispatch, Will Jones, who had interviewed me earlier, asked Omar Samaha some great questions: "What do you say to the opponents who claim that these background checks won't reduce crime as criminals will simply steal guns or use straw purchases to get them?" (paraphrased)

That caught Omar completely off balance and he proceeded to stumble through a non-answer, basically saying that "if it only saves one life..." and "this is only the 'first step.'"

Only the first step? Too bad Will didn't followed up on that one!

Of course you and I don't need to know the steps, as we already know the final goal of the anti-freedom crowd.

--

Here is coverage from NBC 12. There should be more stories tomorrow, including one from the Times-Dispatch:

http://tinyurl.com/3stklh4

ClumsyCandy

Y'all notice that out of all the people there, IM the one who made it on the news! LOL! If you watched the news broadcasts, that cameraman couldn't get enough of me! LOL Guess because I'm not the stereotypical gun carrier! I'm too cute to resist!

VW_Factor

This is great that you guys got to counter protest like that! ;)

Edit : As an addition, I always wonder why they think a criminal is going to acquire a firearm through any means with a background check, when they already are breaking how many laws? What is one more? Why do they think criminals will jump through hoops to follow the law is beyond me. They are criminals after all.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Bloomberg's sign reminded me...

of an Archie Bunker / "All in the Family" episode in which Archie was arguing with Gloria about this issue. She quoted some statistic like Bloomberg's about how many people were killed with guns in some year, to which Archie replied, "Would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was thrown outa windows instead?"

Well, Bloomberg, would it make you feel better if they "was thrown outa windows"?

TFred

I really don't know how Bloomberg sleeps at night.

They are wholeheartedly abusing those poor folks who have lost their loved one at the hands of brutal criminals. I wish we could charge them with some sort of an emotional abuse crime.

These victims are being victimized all over again, being asked to trot out the treasured pictures of their lost loved one, in a desperate hope to do anything that "might prevent such a crime from happening again."

These folks are so emotionally spun up and distraught they do not have the mental capacity to comprehend the simple fact that a perfect gun-check system, even if such a thing were possible, would never stop thugs from murdering their robbery victims.

These methods are quite beyond disgusting. They prey on the victims of crime... That's exactly what vultures do.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I really don't know how Bloomberg sleeps at night.

They are wholeheartedly abusing those poor folks who have lost their loved one at the hands of brutal criminals. I wish we could charge them with some sort of an emotional abuse crime.

These victims are being victimized all over again, being asked to trot out the treasured pictures of their lost loved one, in a desperate hope to do anything that "might prevent such a crime from happening again."

These folks are so emotionally spun up and distraught they do not have the mental capacity to comprehend the simple fact that a perfect gun-check system, even if such a thing were possible, would never stop thugs from murdering their robbery victims.

These methods are quite beyond disgusting. They prey on the victims of crime... That's exactly what vultures do.

TFred

Mother Nature's garbage collectors, her sanitation department, should not be so slandered - they do not create the continuous parade of victims. They are a higher life form.

Bloomie offers sacrifices on his alter of vanity and gleefully accepts any unfortunate victims as his own. The cash crop of the Brady Campaign is the pain and suffering of others.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

A simple rebuttal from the OP: fewer than 7.2% of the nation's mayors agree with his goals and methods enough to allow themselves to be counted among his supporters.

That means that 92.8% of the mayors do NOT choose to be associated with him.

Why indeed do we not support this? Because it will only restrict the law abiding, not the ones intent on criminal conduct. Sad part is that they know that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We forgot to mention the get-together at 3rd Street Diner afterward.
The Server was interesting and concerned with self defense. She generally carried a knife although she didn't have it yesterday.:shocker: