Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Michigan Cop denied the right to carry in NY state

A Michigan Cop denied the right to carry in NY state

I say "Cop" aka corrections officer. This is what the cons called us and we called ourselves that after hearing it often enough. I retired with 17 years inside Michigan state prisons and finally got a permit to carry under the new "shall issue" law that went into effect some years ago. I carried concealed all the time as I lived in prison towns close to the prison I worked at and I live alone so I was always armed. I moved to NY, big error. When I got here all my handguns were confiscated and I was threatened with arrest on a felony for transporting weapons across state lines. I did not get my guns back for over a year and then a draconian judge denied my right to carry and would not honor my Michigan license! I could lock them all up or hunt with them. I do not hand gun hunt. To me, a handgun is for personal protection, hidden if possible from the attacker. That is impossible now that I am 70 and handicapped. I tried to get an FFL license but even that is impossible.
    I eventually sold all my handguns at a huge loss to a gun dealer in town. Made me sick to my stomach too.
    OK, my last resort is "open carry" I will do that if I will not get arrested. My life in a prison as an x corrections officer would be sure death. I will be watching this web site closely for any breaking news on the subject of open carry which I favor completely!

Move south. About a thousand miles. If you had done this when you retired, no judge in your face, still have all of you firearms, you would have a CC license and your bank account would likely be larger.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Nys

hate to tell you this, but nys does not have open carry. in fact, I am surprised that you were able to get your pistols back even to sell.

Banned
    A few things:

1. Why would you choose to live in a State known to restrict rights and then complain about it?!?

2. You were not a cop, no matter what the inmates called you. The laws vary from State to State, but are usually quite clear on what a LEO is and what privileges are extended to those who actually qualify as LEOs.

3. You are griping about not being afforded a privilege not available to the general public. How about griping about the routine denial of rights to all the folks living in or passing through NY.

signed -

a former NYer who chooses to live in a freer State

Easy to say, hard to do.......

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Move south. About a thousand miles. If you had done this when you retired, no judge in your face, still have all of you firearms, you would have a CC license and your bank account would likely be larger.
    About the time I retired I went through a horrible divorce after 27 years of being married. A woman seduced me into coming to NY where she lived. Sex is stronger than brains my man.

Hej Copdenied! Some states consider some corrections officers LEO's, so you are not totally wrong in that assumption.

My wife is from NYS, and my prized 1926 Colt officers model actually was originally purchased by a NYC LEO back in 1927 (still have his original NYC permit and all...somewhere around here)

At the time I did not know why my FIL gave me such a beautiful revolver (back in 1967) as an engagement/wedding gift, but I do know now...he wanted it out of New York state...never to return...

I love my wife's relatives, and the Catskill mountains where they live is beautiful....but I could never live with the NYS laws..never, even though one BIL is politically connected.

Suggest you read through the NY state discussion board & eventually get active with groups there, working to get rights back for citizens of the state.
    Too bad the gov't found out what property you owned.
    One more reason registration is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Does LEOSA act apply?

I am not for the act, I think if the state doesn't recognize my inalienable right to bear arms they have no standing to then allow LEO's.

But since you are/were LEO you might want to look into it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

The Retired officers safety act does not apply to correctional officers. Even the improved act of 2010 does not include COs. There may be states that give these officers police officer status, but the LEOSA is federal and does not make such distinctions.

The improved act mentioned above now includes railroad police, and who is to say, Correction officers may be included in another adjustment to the Act.

How/ why did they take your guns? something tipped them off that you had some.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Move south. About a thousand miles.
    He only needs to move east, about 120 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    The Retired officers safety act does not apply to correctional officers. Even the improved act of 2010 does not include COs. There may be states that give these officers police officer status, but the LEOSA is federal and does not make such distinctions.
    LEOSA does not mention job titles. It has included corrections personal from the beginning, state or federal, as long as they have statutory powers of arrest.

Anyone who qualifies, either active or retired, is covered no matter what their job title is or was.

Heres a link on the ACT.

Like I said I don't like the act and how it makes LEO's a special class. But if I was an LEO I would take advantage of the fact I could exercise my rights

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0071.htm

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Does LEOSA act apply?
    I find LEOSA to be elitist police state B.S. Just how many retired cops are targeted for revenge by those they've put away? Any credible stats to back that up?

What about the folks of SEAL Team 6, or other Spec-Ops folks, or those who flew them in and out of harm's way? What about them? Why are they afforded the same measure of self-protection? What about the millions of American's who've served honorably overseas, who've also brought many of the enemy to justice, all of which who've seen them? Shouldn't they have the right to protect themselves in each and every one of the 50 states comprising the Republic of the United States of America?

Limiting this to LEO's is elitist, in-your-face, police-state B.S.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

As a former State Prison Corrections Sgt I can certainly understand your pain but unless you were commissioned with arrest powers you are not and were not a cop by any definition.
    My State (Louisiana) does not recognize COs as LEOs. There are some exceptions to this such as members of our Chase and Tactical teams which were granted special deputy commissions to assist area LE agencies when requested. That said, the vast majority of us were not considered any type of law enforcement.
    I no longer work for the prison but I still live within a couple of miles of my former work site and occasionaly run into excons on the street who have been released. I've met them in stores, at my job at a local hospital and when at a resturant. A darn good reason to always be armed.
    Sorry for all of your problems but you have access to lots of information here and at other websites. Hooray for the interwebz. Stick around and learn what you can.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    He only needs to move east, about 120 miles.

VERMONT!! Yep. But South would also lower his cost of living.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I find LEOSA to be elitist police state B.S. Just how many retired cops are targeted for revenge by those they've put away? Any credible stats to back that up?

What about the folks of SEAL Team 6, or other Spec-Ops folks, or those who flew them in and out of harm's way? What about them? Why are they afforded the same measure of self-protection? What about the millions of American's who've served honorably overseas, who've also brought many of the enemy to justice, all of which who've seen them? Shouldn't they have the right to protect themselves in each and every one of the 50 states comprising the Republic of the United States of America?

Limiting this to LEO's is elitist, in-your-face, police-state B.S.
    I totally agree. We all have the inalienable right, a badge doesn't make a difference.

guns in NY

I am a retired New York State Police Officer. twenty five years decorated service with a new york state pistol permit. I currently live in Texas with a concealed license also.
    I contact NYS Attorney General's office to see if i could bring a gun into the state while vacationing in NEW YORK upstate area. The answer was NO. I am no longer a resident and my permit is not valid. 25 years of service means nothing. I vacation in florida now.

Quote Originally Posted by tmac55 View Post
    I am a retired New York State Police Officer. twenty five years decorated service with a new york state pistol permit. I currently live in Texas with a concealed license also.
    I contact NYS Attorney General's office to see if i could bring a gun into the state while vacationing in NEW YORK upstate area. The answer was NO. I am no longer a resident and my permit is not valid. 25 years of service means nothing. I vacation in florida now.
    Not sure how long you have been retired and out of the game but it would be most likely very easy for you to qualify under the LEOSA Act. Granted you would have to qualify each year for shooting standards and have support from your dept. Check out this act immediately, it pertains to retired leos too. Basically gives you a universal cc permit anywhere in the U.S. (yes, including anti- NYC and DC), no residency restrictions. There are some exceptions but very little on where you can't carry.
    Last edited by NovaCop10; 05-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmac55 View Post
    You need two things:
    1) A photographic identification card from NYSP showing that you're a retiree; and,
    2) Certification from a TCLEOSE firearms instructor showing that you've met the Texas standard for active duty peace officers within the previous 12 months.

With those two things in hand, you are clear to carry a concealed handgun in NYS no matter what the NY AG says about it.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 05-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Guess NY is another State I'm not visiting. But I guess I dont need to carry there cause I hear its safe cause there are no guns.
    Last edited by hogeater f6; 05-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.

I Thought Everybody Knew That..

The only handgun permit/license NY State recognizes is its own "LCP".. and depending whether or not it has any restrictions on it, even then you could be in trouble!

NY State is a good place to be from.. "as far from as you can get"!

FireStar M40
    Why you never pick a fight with a old man.

Seeing they're too old and tired to fight,

they'll just shoot your butt instead.

I'm a "OLD MAN"!

Not to be rude or anything, but if they aren't going to let me carry a firearm, I don't give two hoots if they don't let someone who thinks they are privileged, carry a firearm because he/she is "ex CO", "ex LEO", "current CO", "current LEO", or the POTUS... You aren't any more special, nor do you have any more or any less of a right to carry a firearm than any other law-abing citizen of the United States.

Don't fight for the "privilege" to carry a firearm because you think you are special. Demand that your rights be respected and uninfringed upon.
    Last edited by YoZUpZ; 05-19-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoZUpZ View Post
    Not to be rude or anything, but if they aren't going to let me carry a firearm, I don't give two hoots if they don't let someone who thinks they are privileged, carry a firearm because he/she is "ex CO", "ex LEO", "current CO", "current LEO", or the POTUS... You aren't any more special, nor do you have any more or any less of a right to carry a firearm than any other law-abing citizen of the United States.

Don't fight for the "privilege" to carry a firearm because you think you are special. Demand that your rights be respected and uninfringed upon.
    All I might say in response to that is that despite how I might personally feel about any current POTUS, I would still give my life for either him or his office if called upon to do so, and that "call" isn't one I might expect from the outside. It's simply a sworn duty, and as a duty sworn, I'd do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

It's the nature of the office, my stature as an officer appointed by a standing President of the United States of America, and that's pretty much that's that.

Most people don't get that. Some do. Good for them.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    All I might say in response to that is that despite how I might personally feel about any current POTUS, I would still give my life for either him or his office if called upon to do so, and that "call" isn't one I might expect from the outside. It's simply a sworn duty, and as a duty sworn, I'd do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

It's the nature of the office, my stature as an officer appointed by a standing President of the United States of America, and that's pretty much that's that.

Most people don't get that. Some do. Good for them.
    Even if what he called you to do something unconstitutional? (curious)

I would only give my life in protection the same as any other human being not because he is our employee.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Even if what he called you to do something unconstitutional? (curious)
    I would not follow an unlawful order. I would protect our President.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast