• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Michigan Cop denied the right to carry in NY state

copdenied

I say "Cop" aka corrections officer. This is what the cons called us and we called ourselves that after hearing it often enough. I retired with 17 years inside Michigan state prisons and finally got a permit to carry under the new "shall issue" law that went into effect some years ago. I carried concealed all the time as I lived in prison towns close to the prison I worked at and I live alone so I was always armed. I moved to NY, big error. When I got here all my handguns were confiscated and I was threatened with arrest on a felony for transporting weapons across state lines. I did not get my guns back for over a year and then a draconian judge denied my right to carry and would not honor my Michigan license! I could lock them all up or hunt with them. I do not hand gun hunt. To me, a handgun is for personal protection, hidden if possible from the attacker. That is impossible now that I am 70 and handicapped. I tried to get an FFL license but even that is impossible.
I eventually sold all my handguns at a huge loss to a gun dealer in town. Made me sick to my stomach too.
OK, my last resort is "open carry" I will do that if I will not get arrested. My life in a prison as an x corrections officer would be sure death. I will be watching this web site closely for any breaking news on the subject of open carry which I favor completely!:banana:

OldCurlyWolf

Move south. About a thousand miles. If you had done this when you retired, no judge in your face, still have all of you firearms, you would have a CC license and your bank account would likely be larger.:(

p85

Nys

hate to tell you this, but nys does not have open carry. in fact, I am surprised that you were able to get your pistols back even to sell.

eye95

A few things:

1. Why would you choose to live in a State known to restrict rights and then complain about it?!?

2. You were not a cop, no matter what the inmates called you. The laws vary from State to State, but are usually quite clear on what a LEO is and what privileges are extended to those who actually qualify as LEOs.

3. You are griping about not being afforded a privilege not available to the general public. How about griping about the routine denial of rights to all the folks living in or passing through NY.

signed -

a former NYer who chooses to live in a freer State

copdenied

Easy to say, hard to do.......

Move south. About a thousand miles. If you had done this when you retired, no judge in your face, still have all of you firearms, you would have a CC license and your bank account would likely be larger.:(
About the time I retired I went through a horrible divorce after 27 years of being married. A woman seduced me into coming to NY where she lived. Sex is stronger than brains my man. :lol:

hermannr

Hej Copdenied! Some states consider some corrections officers LEO's, so you are not totally wrong in that assumption.

My wife is from NYS, and my prized 1926 Colt officers model actually was originally purchased by a NYC LEO back in 1927 (still have his original NYC permit and all...somewhere around here)

At the time I did not know why my FIL gave me such a beautiful revolver (back in 1967) as an engagement/wedding gift, but I do know now...he wanted it out of New York state...never to return...

I love my wife's relatives, and the Catskill mountains where they live is beautiful....but I could never live with the NYS laws..never, even though one BIL is politically connected.

MKEgal

Suggest you read through the NY state discussion board & eventually get active with groups there, working to get rights back for citizens of the state.
Too bad the gov't found out what property you owned.
One more reason registration is bad.

sudden valley gunner

Does LEOSA act apply?

I am not for the act, I think if the state doesn't recognize my inalienable right to bear arms they have no standing to then allow LEO's.

But since you are/were LEO you might want to look into it.

c45man

The Retired officers safety act does not apply to correctional officers. Even the improved act of 2010 does not include COs. There may be states that give these officers police officer status, but the LEOSA is federal and does not make such distinctions.

The improved act mentioned above now includes railroad police, and who is to say, Correction officers may be included in another adjustment to the Act.

KBCraig

Move south. About a thousand miles.
He only needs to move east, about 120 miles.

The Retired officers safety act does not apply to correctional officers. Even the improved act of 2010 does not include COs. There may be states that give these officers police officer status, but the LEOSA is federal and does not make such distinctions.
LEOSA does not mention job titles. It has included corrections personal from the beginning, state or federal, as long as they have statutory powers of arrest.

Anyone who qualifies, either active or retired, is covered no matter what their job title is or was.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Does LEOSA act apply?

I find LEOSA to be elitist police state B.S. Just how many retired cops are targeted for revenge by those they've put away? Any credible stats to back that up?

What about the folks of SEAL Team 6, or other Spec-Ops folks, or those who flew them in and out of harm's way? What about them? Why are they afforded the same measure of self-protection? What about the millions of American's who've served honorably overseas, who've also brought many of the enemy to justice, all of which who've seen them? Shouldn't they have the right to protect themselves in each and every one of the 50 states comprising the Republic of the United States of America?

Limiting this to LEO's is elitist, in-your-face, police-state B.S.

sraacke

As a former State Prison Corrections Sgt I can certainly understand your pain but unless you were commissioned with arrest powers you are not and were not a cop by any definition.
My State (Louisiana) does not recognize COs as LEOs. There are some exceptions to this such as members of our Chase and Tactical teams which were granted special deputy commissions to assist area LE agencies when requested. That said, the vast majority of us were not considered any type of law enforcement.
I no longer work for the prison but I still live within a couple of miles of my former work site and occasionaly run into excons on the street who have been released. I've met them in stores, at my job at a local hospital and when at a resturant. A darn good reason to always be armed.
Sorry for all of your problems but you have access to lots of information here and at other websites. Hooray for the interwebz. Stick around and learn what you can.

sudden valley gunner

I find LEOSA to be elitist police state B.S. Just how many retired cops are targeted for revenge by those they've put away? Any credible stats to back that up?

What about the folks of SEAL Team 6, or other Spec-Ops folks, or those who flew them in and out of harm's way? What about them? Why are they afforded the same measure of self-protection? What about the millions of American's who've served honorably overseas, who've also brought many of the enemy to justice, all of which who've seen them? Shouldn't they have the right to protect themselves in each and every one of the 50 states comprising the Republic of the United States of America?

Limiting this to LEO's is elitist, in-your-face, police-state B.S.

I totally agree. We all have the inalienable right, a badge doesn't make a difference.

tmac55

guns in NY

I am a retired New York State Police Officer. twenty five years decorated service with a new york state pistol permit. I currently live in Texas with a concealed license also.
I contact NYS Attorney General's office to see if i could bring a gun into the state while vacationing in NEW YORK upstate area. The answer was NO. I am no longer a resident and my permit is not valid. 25 years of service means nothing. I vacation in florida now.

NovaCop

I am a retired New York State Police Officer. twenty five years decorated service with a new york state pistol permit. I currently live in Texas with a concealed license also.
I contact NYS Attorney General's office to see if i could bring a gun into the state while vacationing in NEW YORK upstate area. The answer was NO. I am no longer a resident and my permit is not valid. 25 years of service means nothing. I vacation in florida now.

Not sure how long you have been retired and out of the game but it would be most likely very easy for you to qualify under the LEOSA Act. Granted you would have to qualify each year for shooting standards and have support from your dept. Check out this act immediately, it pertains to retired leos too. Basically gives you a universal cc permit anywhere in the U.S. (yes, including anti- NYC and DC), no residency restrictions. There are some exceptions but very little on where you can't carry.

Last edited:

KBCraig

You need two things:
1) A photographic identification card from NYSP showing that you're a retiree; and,
2) Certification from a TCLEOSE firearms instructor showing that you've met the Texas standard for active duty peace officers within the previous 12 months.

With those two things in hand, you are clear to carry a concealed handgun in NYS no matter what the NY AG says about it.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

Guess NY is another State I'm not visiting. But I guess I dont need to carry there cause I hear its safe cause there are no guns.

Last edited: