• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Part Legislation, Part Fun Shoot, Part Letters from politicians.

CalicoJack10

So this weekend was filled with firearms for me. And much of it had to do with all of my fellow proponents here in good ol' Wisconsin. So to save me from having to post over and over and over, I am putting it all in this same thread.

For starters, here are some pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.198820800154643.42962.187375624632494

Despite the snow, temperature, and periodic drizzle, we had a awesome time at the fun shoot, and even though it rained, I could not have had a better open carry event. We even had the Oneida County Sheriff stop by, and aside from complaining that we were not all carrying 1911's he was a really good guy. His first words when he walked through the door were "That guy's carrying a 1911, hopefully everyone else is too" and he was even reported as having said that when a responsible person turns 18, they should be issued a 1911 and be made to carry it. During the fun shoot, 2 Vilas county Sheriffs deputies stopped by, and despite wanting to shoot with us, they had to play the responsible role and stick to their duties. They were both cordial even after seeing that several of us were carrying, and thanked us for participating in the event on such a crappy day.

Out state rep (Dan Meyer, Republican) stopped by before we got the event going due to his schedule, and walked the range a bit while talking to me. He talked about constitutional carry, and was honest enough with me to tell me that though he would like to see some form of training "Like the one time Hunter's Safety" there would definitely be a bill introduced by the end of May. Also, the Chair Person for Vilas County stopped by near the end of the event, and he talked with me at length about the letters I have written and said "I am all for constitutional carry, but I think that going with a one time class like hunters safety is the best we are going to get for now. Mainly because you can't go from nothing to everything, so we have to take it in steps."

Also, I got a letter from my Senator, who is a Dem, that I would like to post up here, but I don't know how, so if someone can tell me how to put a PDF up so that I can show it to all of you, I will edit this post and share it with all of you. All in all, it is a pretty impressive letter.

Edit 2: Here is a scan of the blasted thing:
HolprinLetter001.jpg

That all being said this was ultimately a very successful weekend, and we will be planning another one for sometime in the next few months. I will keep you all posted for the events as the details become available. It ended up making several hundred dollars for special Olympics, and that is pretty damn good considering it was snowing and freezing cold. Special thanks to those that helped out by bringing baked goods, people, and money to a worth while cause.

Calico Jack

Edit: There was some talk about exemptions for those with a DD-214, and retired LEO's, but nothing definitive. I will update that as soon as I know something for sure.

Last edited:

protias

Should have told him about VT, how they always had the ability to carry when and where they please, with no training. Anyway, I hope the bill comes soon so we can all take a good look at it.

CalicoJack10

At this point we are rounding the bend, if what he says is true, then I am ok with that for the time being as long as we have something on the books, and then we can keep fighting for Constitutional Carry. It is not like we have not been put off for the last 15 years, and while it is not everything I had hoped it would be (full blown constitutional carry), I am glad we at least have a starting point that is not "No Concealed Carry".

I also forgot to post that we had a few extra people out there that are now interested in Open carry, and are willing to join the fight for sonstitutional carry.

Wolf1477

Back!

Oh man, if we had had any more fun it would have been illegal. It was great meeting everyone who could make it. It was great seeing those kids with smiles on their faces, especially with the "December in May" weather we had.

Food was phenomenal, better Memphis style BBQ than I've had (even in Memphis), will definitely be back up when he starts up with the smoked prime rib. Company was great, and even with the cold wind at the range it was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever shot my .270 that much in one day, let alone followed by a blizzard of 12 gauge and pistol rounds.

At any rate, I'm exhausted and going to bed before I get even less coherent than I am already.

A definite +1 on the county sheriffs that we met this weekend, excellent examples of how it's supposed to be.

Thanks again to everyone involved in setting this up, can't wait till the next one!

IcrewUH60

...and

Osama bin Laden is dead :)

What a great shoot and well worth the 4 hour (or 8 depending on how you look at it) drive. We're looking forward to the next one, and maybe by then I won't have to look like an idiot un-holstering, unloading and encasing every time my family and I got in the car to explore the scenery or go eat. I OC'd in many shops downtown (and dropped a little over $200 in gifts and knick-knacks) and did not have any issues at all. Even the owner of Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty (A Wisconsin Tradition) gave specific permission to carry "as long as it was properly and legally licensed". To which I replied "Great, Art. 1 Sec. 25 covers that for me, so with your permission, I think we'll have dinner here."

It was no Bad Bones BBQ (try the brisket, try the brisket, try the brisket), but it was a lot of really good food.

A special thanks the Calico Jack and his helpers for this one and a very special thanks our Range Hosts.

Oh, and I cant end this without thanking Phred for all the firing line assistance he provided.

CalicoJack10

Oh man, if we had had any more fun it would have been illegal. It was great meeting everyone who could make it. It was great seeing those kids with smiles on their faces, especially with the "December in May" weather we had.

Food was phenomenal, better Memphis style BBQ than I've had (even in Memphis), will definitely be back up when he starts up with the smoked prime rib. Company was great, and even with the cold wind at the range it was a hell of a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever shot my .270 that much in one day, let alone followed by a blizzard of 12 gauge and pistol rounds.

At any rate, I'm exhausted and going to bed before I get even less coherent than I am already.

A definite +1 on the county sheriffs that we met this weekend, excellent examples of how it's supposed to be.

Thanks again to everyone involved in setting this up, can't wait till the next one!

I couldn't agree more. I think the tennis balls, golf balls, and malted eggs were a lot of fun too. Especially when there were 4 of us firing at them at the same time. And considering the wind, I am impressed that any of them were hit at all. lol

And the shotgun part was definately a lot of fun. I am glad we had a safe event, and I have gotten compliments that I am supposed to pass on to everyone that was there about the way we conducted ourselves. The VVA, and the Special Olympics were impressed, so Kudos to you all from the VVA and the Special Olympics.

Osama bin Laden is dead :)

What a great shoot and well worth the 4 hour (or 8 depending on how you look at it) drive. We're looking forward to the next one, and maybe by then I won't have to look like an idiot un-holstering, unloading and encasing every time my family and I got in the car to explore the scenery or go eat. I OC'd in many shops downtown (and dropped a little over $200 in gifts and knick-knacks) and did not have any issues at all. Even the owner of Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty (A Wisconsin Tradition) gave specific permission to carry "as long as it was properly and legally licensed". To which I replied "Great, Art. 1 Sec. 25 covers that for me, so with your permission, I think we'll have dinner here."

It was no Bad Bones BBQ (try the brisket, try the brisket, try the brisket), but it was a lot of really good food.

A special thanks the Calico Jack and his helpers for this one and a very special thanks our Range Hosts.

Oh, and I cant end this without thanking Phred for all the firing line assistance he provided.

I am glad you had no fuss, I have been working hard with local businesses to help make this a more gun friendly town. And Phred is the man, I have been saying that for a long time. No need to thank me, though I did rig that shooting contest for your daughter. lol

I have been talking to Nutczak already about getting another firearms fun weekend going late July/early August. I will flush out the details with him soon and get the info up so everyone knows it is coming.