• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not all LEO encounters HAVE to be bad ;-)

carry for myself

i got a great recording of buxton PD last month at the intersection of 202 and 22. i admit. i WAS SPEEDING so the traffic stop was waranted. i told him i OC'ed and my custom nickel plate Kimber was on the seat. i allowed him to hold onto it for the duration of the stop *was in a good mood and didnt want to argue* after he ran my plates, he came back and said "nice piece, careful someone may pull theirs and try to take this from you" to which i chuckled. then he shocked me by stating " heck i want to pull my glock and take this from you, its gorgeous" right before handing it back. Got it all on tape on my blackberry........maybe i can upload it? if i can figure out how. great stop however. he even asked me the easiest way to take down his glock Mag and clean it, which i promptly exited the vehicle and showed him how to use a cleaning rod to do so. ill see if i can format the recording and upload it. good example of a great incounter :)

love maines 1 party consent law. yes it keeps both parties honest and safe, but it can also capture those awesome funny-cop moments too! :lol: even got him admiting that when cops are in patrol cars they dont observe speed limit signs haha

carry for myself

nope. verbal warning for speed. i was about 80ft from the 50mph sign when he clocked me and whipped around. Great personable guy though. Sgt. traffic stop took at least 15 min because we started talking about my kimber, his glock 22 , and a rifle i was on my way to buy in cornish. but no ticket. he even took my advice on OC stops. he attempted to tell me i couldnt have a loaded magazine in the car, at which point i cited the law on vehicle carry that has to do with an "attatched" magazine and how the mag was not in the gun making it legal. wich he accepted and thanked me for the clarification. Trying to get the audio clip to upload, but its a rather large file and my Blackberry is incripted so its a bit tough, but if i can get it formated and up, youll hear the whole thing. quite funny :)

Gunslinger

This was a good one, then. I got stopped by an unmarked car once for hitting it on an offramp in NH. The cop saw my Vietnam Veteran sticker, and after he ran my DL and saw I was a good guy, we talked for about 15 minutes. Even complimented me on my driving skills. I've said many times, bashing bad cops is not cop 'bashing.' There are many very good ones out there. They just never get the press. Posts like yours are a real pleasure to read.

carry for myself

definately made me feel more compfortable OCing in buxton :) i've seen him a few times since on 202, usually he reaches out the window and waves. i like GOOD cops. its the ignorant ones i dislike:monkey

DanR9745

Most of the officers in Gardiner are okay about OC, the chief however is not. Someone called me in a couple weeks ago because I was open carrying while walking around town with my girlfriend.
The first responder was alright about it, saw that I'm in the military and not some snot nosed punk, and just asked to see my concealed weapons permit.
Then the chief came on scene with another officer and seemed pretty upset, he talked about how I was someone called me in because they saw the weapon and were nervous, I told him I didn't realize that I had done anything illegal and he said I hadn't, then proceeded to rip the weapon and holster from my belt and hold it for the rest of the conversation. He basically just told me nobody on duty had known me (which they do) and I was lucky they didn't treat it like a high risk stop. He gave me my weapon back and sent me on my way. I wish I had recorded it.

EDIT: Part of my reply was meant for another thread.

Last edited:

carry for myself

if i were you i would file a FOIA, get the report, then file a complaint against the chief himself. sounds like he is using his personal opinion to govern how he acts in a professional setting. and needs some sensitivity and rights training.

DanR9745

Yeah I feel personal feelings were definitly a part of the encounter. After I was cleared as a threat, and after he had already started talking to me for a good minute or two, he THEN decides to come rip my weapon off my hip. I was pretty upset about that.
Is it possible to file the FOIA and get the report three weeks after the incident? And how would I go about filing the FOIA?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah I feel personal feelings were definitly a part of the encounter. After I was cleared as a threat, and after he had already started talking to me for a good minute or two, he THEN decides to come rip my weapon off my hip. I was pretty upset about that.
Is it possible to file the FOIA and get the report three weeks after the incident? And how would I go about filing the FOIA?

Look in your inbox... I sent you a private message.