• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nordyke is out

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Calguns discussion: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427991
PDF opinion: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2011/05/02/07-15763.pdf

Nothing very positive to read as far as I can tell from the CGN thread. Remanded back to district court. Opinion says a regulation must substantially burden on Second Amendment rights in order to infringe. It will be very surprising if the district court determines that prohibiting gun shows on fairgrounds substantially infringes upon the right to keep and bear arms. Not surprised, but still pretty upsetting.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
isn't this the same district that determined the may issue system was not unconstitutional since people could still carry open/unloaded? even if not, it sounds like the circuit is going to force alameda/california to either accept guns at gun shows or flat out ban and take the courts to task.

cato

isn't this the same district that determined the may issue system was not unconstitutional since people could still carry open/unloaded?.

No different court. The Nordykes are being 'allowed' and hinted to rewrite their complaint to address the core right of self defense (if they can or want to) and return to the district court on the 2nd A issue only. They lost on the 1st and 14th A issues which they can appeal if they want to. And nobody is awarded fees.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Thanks for the link Cato. Perhaps there is some positive news after all? Ultimately I can't see the Supreme Court agreeing that only substantial burdens will violate the second amendment, but maybe pro-gun cases can earn a few wins off of the current Nordyke decision.

sudden valley gunner

Opinion says a regulation must substantially burden on Second Amendment rights in order to infringe.

Cannot compute, cannot compute!!!!!

Thats like saying to be labeled a pedophile you must assault at least a dozen children first. Disgusting.

I am vegetarian because I only eat meat after 6:00 a.m.

He's not a bigot unless he..........(you get my point)

Our courts are so full of Benthamites I fear we will never be a "free" people again.

The Courts are not supposed to define the constitution only determine when laws are unconstitutional.