• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm moving to Virginia YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

Well as I stated last month my better half and I interviewed for employment positions. She has been hired for hers I should hear sometime about mine this week. Regardless what happens with my position we are moving to Charlottesville VA at the end of the month.

I love my girl we have been together for two years and at the very beginning of the relationship we had an understanding I told her I love guns and will never live in a state that doesn't respect my right to carry. Don't care if we live in a mansion or a cardboard box. I am proud that she has upheld that promise and we are moving to one of the greatest states in the nation, and I am very happy to soon be calling Virginia my home.

Anyone from the Charlottesville area sound off would love to do some OC'ing (not new to it as I currently OC all the time here up here in New Hampshire) also want to hit up some ranges in the area.

Last edited:

VCDL President

Centurion
Welcome to Virginia

Welcome to Virginia, Jay!

We're all glad to have you as a new member of the Virginia gun-owner family! You'll love it here - some of the nicest people you will ever want to meet live in Virginia and carry guns. ;-)

TFred

Charlottesville is not a bad place to live, location wise... as noted, you're about an hour from Richmond, less than an hour from mountain drives and hikes, just over an hour from Fredericksburg (one of the most historic cities in America!), just over two hours from DC (for when you feel like being oppressed while visiting the national monuments and museums...)

Make sure you visit Tom's house (although I hear the new tenants don't allow you to carry there, for which Tom is certainly rolling over in his grave...) and his University's sporting events from time to time. Baseball is doing particularly well this spring, I hear.

TFred

PS: It'll be just a tad bit warmer... bring plenty of shorts...

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations!

Only problem is, you've gotta go through Massachussetts and Maryland to get here.

TFred

Using a movie company thinking of throwing it in a box on there truck...lol
Check the fine print, I suspect that most moving companies won't touch firearms with a 10 foot pole... and if they're discovered, there's no telling where they'll end up.

I'm not an expert, but I believe you can ship them to yourself. Recommend you do more research, but that may be the easiest way, especially if you may have to stop in either MA or MD along the way.

TFred

HeroHog

Lived there for about 6 years before coming home to Louisiana a tad over a year ago. The VCDL is THE premiere gun rights organization there, if not in the US period and has some great members! I worked in C-ville but lived over the mountain in Staunton cause it was so much cheaper there!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Lived there for about 6 years before coming home to Louisiana a tad over a year ago. The VCDL is THE premiere gun rights organization there, if not in the US period and has some great members! I worked in C-ville but lived over the mountain in Staunton cause it was so much cheaper there!

Welcome to Virginia Jay.
All we ask is to respect our heritage and traditions.

You may like the city but like most college communities, it can be a little trying. Lots of spruce yuppies and as already mentioned, it's expensive.

I expect you'll love the outside areas though. The hunting's good, the fishing's good and the locals are colorful.

If you get homesick for that New Hampshire accent, Wintergreen has plenty of transplants.
Let me know when you get settled and we'll get together for Breakfast with Riverrat and some others.

Jay

Welcome to Virginia Jay.
All we ask is to respect our heritage and traditions.

You may like the city but like most college communities, it can be a little trying. Lots of spruce yuppies and as already mentioned, it's expensive.

I expect you'll love the outside areas though. The hunting's good, the fishing's good and the locals are colorful.

If you get homesick for that New Hampshire accent, Wintergreen has plenty of transplants.
Let me know when you get settled and we'll get together for Breakfast with Riverrat and some others.

To tell you the truth I am not a city person at all and just for the shear fact that the area is new to us we are renting for like the first year or two in the city. Our goal is to get some decent property with some acreage horses, ATVs, a place to go outback shooting.

I "will" let you know when we get settled would love to join you for breakfast

Jay

Check the fine print, I suspect that most moving companies won't touch firearms with a 10 foot pole... and if they're discovered, there's no telling where they'll end up.

I'm not an expert, but I believe you can ship them to yourself. Recommend you do more research, but that may be the easiest way, especially if you may have to stop in either MA or MD along the way.

TFred

I was joking about the moving company thing I am going to transport myself locked and unloaded in the trunk. I can get though Mass within 45 minutes wont be stopping there, and secondly the route I am going comes in through PA so I think I have to cross into Maryland very briefly at the northwestcorner.

Blk97F150

Well as I stated last month my better half and I interviewed for employment positions. She has been hired for hers I should hear sometime about mine this week. Regardless what happens with my position we are moving to Charlottesville VA at the end of the month.

I love my girl we have been together for two years and at the very beginning of the relationship we had an understanding I told her I love guns and will never live in a state that doesn't respect my right to carry. Don't care if we live in a mansion or a cardboard box. I am proud that she has upheld that promise and we are moving to one of the greatest states in the nation, and I am very happy to soon be calling Virginia my home.

Anyone from the Charlottesville area sound off would love to do some OC'ing (not new to it as I currently OC all the time here up here in New Hampshire) also want to hit up some ranges in the area.

Congrats. Welcome to Virginia. Glad it worked out for you guys. Just make sure you don't bring any of the cold NE weather down with you!!!

SuperDad

Charlottesville / Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
First off let me welcome you to Virginia. I currently split my time between Charlottesville (work) and the Hampton Roads area (kids live there) on the weekends. If you need any assistance or information on the area just give me a shout and I'll be glad to help you out. Living in Albemarle County can be expensive depending on what your looking for due to UVA, however the outlying Counties are much cheaper to rent/buy. There's a few of us OC'ers around here and we are slowly acclimating the local populace to the sight of someone carrying. Overall it's a great area and I think you will like it here. Also there is a "Charlottesville" OC thread in here somewhere, I'll have to give it an update as I've been slacking lately and bump it back to page 1.

Welcome again,

Pete

Marco

Jay,
Welcome to the area.
I live in nearby Stanardsville with my wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs and a cat that thinks she's a dog.
If you search the C'ville thread you will locate our usual sunday breakfast spot, please consider this your invite to join us.

~Marco

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another "Welcome to Virginia". Be sure to look for the sign along the highway as you cross the line. Many of the folks who travel south stop along the side of the road right behind the signs, take their handgun out of the trunk, and load and holster up. It's a wonderful way of announcing to yourself and everyone else that you are in a place where you are considered a citizen and not a serf.

There's a great range out in the Charlottesville area http://www.rrpc.org/ . Check the Virginia forum for weekly The Greater Richmond OC Breakfast or the monthly OC Dinner announcements, and come see what it's all about. Either that or just start a meet-up by announcing it and seeing who comes. You might even get to the point of it being a regular event.

stay safe.