• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm moving to Virginia YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

zoom6zoom

I was joking about the moving company thing I am going to transport myself locked and unloaded in the trunk. I can get though Mass within 45 minutes wont be stopping there, and secondly the route I am going comes in through PA so I think I have to cross into Maryland very briefly at the northwestcorner.
Yeah, just be sure to avoid Jersey.

sidestreet

Welcome...,

you'll want to check out this website, www.rrpc.org, that's the site for Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club. I live just North of Richmond, but that's where I have my membership. Very reasonable dues, and lots of social and club activities and contacts to be made there. Check out the VCDL E-mail alerts for the next time they have a combined membership meeting at RRPC. I think they had one just last month, food provided! I fell in love with it some years ago on my first visit. My son learned to shoot there, my wife busted her first clay there, and hopefully my youngest daughter will soon learn to shoot there.

I'd be surprised if anyone didn't like it!

Join VCDL, get active, I always say it's the best money you can spend on your gun rights in Virginia! At the very least, sign up for the E-mail alerts, they're free!

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Jay

Hey guys thanks for all the great advice an offers you have no idea how excited I am to be moving down there it is long over due. I have visited the area many times and have fallen in love with it. Looking forwarded to joining www.rrpc.org looks like a great place.

I have been a volunteer Firefighter and EMT for sixteen years so I am also looking forward to getting back into that as well. I have been losing my mind up here in New Hampshire we are in an area that is secluded from the rest of the world for the most part. Now that Bethany got the work experience she needed right out of school we can finally move down south.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You really need to take Agent 19 up on his offer Jay.
He's a great guy and the area he's in is getting out of the yuppie zone and into real Virginia.
He can show you around. If memory serves me, there's a very active group of muzzle loader shooters there also.

God was having a good day when he made the Blue Ridge Mountains, the next day he was so proud, he created the Piedmont to match.

He was all worn out when he made Northern Va though:uhoh:

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Now this is what I like to see. Someone who is excited to move to a Southern state from the North with what appears to be good intentions and a desire to become one of us. Welcome to our fine state sir, and I hope you find everything you dream of enjoying here.

Peter Nap wrote: "All we ask is to respect our heritage and traditions".
I second that but somehow I suspect that with you, that should be no concern. One thing that scares most of us is the "New Englanding of Florida" syndrome. We hate to see that which we hold dear to be lost to history with the invasion of those who want all of the benefits of living in the South but are not of a mind to leave their cultural baggage at the border.

Do contact Agent19 when you get settled in. He is one heck of a help with any concerns or questions you might have and a good friend to have on your side as well.

Peter Nap also wrote: "God was having a good day when he made the Blue Ridge Mountains, the next day he was so proud, he created the Piedmont to match. He was all worn out when he made Northern Va though".

He had a good day when he created Northern Virginia as well. It's just that we are so close to Maryland and DC, we quickly got "discovered" and poisoned. Now only maybe a little over 20% of us are native.

Marco

Do contact Agent19 when you get settled in. He is one heck of a help with any concerns or questions you might have and a good friend to have on your side as well.

Now only maybe a little over 20% of us are native.

Don't believe them, I'm a SOB most of the time.
Didn't know there were that many Tribes still in VA. ;)

Jay

Peter Nap wrote: "All we ask is to respect our heritage and traditions".
I second that but somehow I suspect that with you, that should be no concern. One thing that scares most of us is the "New Englanding of Florida" syndrome. We hate to see that which we hold dear to be lost to history with the invasion of those who want all of the benefits of living in the South but are not of a mind to leave their cultural baggage at the border.

No worries there I grew up in CT all my life and hate what it is turning into. I might have been born and raised in the North, but my heart has always belonged in the south. It is very hard for me seeing the neighborhood I grew up in which was just a dead end dirt road, acres of property, my pops and I target shooting in the back forty on a Sunday afternoon, with horses running around all over the place. Turn into a paved road which is no longer dead end with cars screaming up and down it, and stupid New Yorkers who infested like cock roaches and call the cops when you are target shooting because there dog is p****ng himself under their bed.

Trust me the way things are now there is "NOTHING" up here that I want to bring with me down there. Except my other half, clothes, and furnishings ;)

Last edited:

Marco

and New Yorkers

All us NY'ers aren't bad.
If EMS is what you do for a living C'Ville/Albermarle is where you want to look, the smaller cities/counties are all volunteer.

Paul,
We need to do lunch the next time I'm in the area, we can drag Dave along for kicks.

~Marco

Last edited:

snatale42

Well as I stated last month my better half and I interviewed for employment positions. She has been hired for hers I should hear sometime about mine this week. Regardless what happens with my position we are moving to Charlottesville VA at the end of the month.

I love my girl we have been together for two years and at the very beginning of the relationship we had an understanding I told her I love guns and will never live in a state that doesn't respect my right to carry. Don't care if we live in a mansion or a cardboard box. I am proud that she has upheld that promise and we are moving to one of the greatest states in the nation, and I am very happy to soon be calling Virginia my home.

Welcome to VA, where everybody from New England moves to have rights! Granted NH is the exception. I live in Richmond but you'll love VA there's TONS of us down here, the bar down the street from me even has Sox crap all over it, it's great. and CHEAP!!!!! Still trying to find a range as awesome as Manchester...nothing yet.

SouthernBoy

All us NY'ers aren't bad.
If EMS is what you do for a living C'Ville/Albermarle is were you want to look, the smaller cities/counties are all volunteer.

Paul,
We need to do lunch the next time I'm in the area, we can drag Dave along for kicks.

~Marco

Works for me. Give me a little advanced notice and I'll get in touch with a friend who lives in Maryland but loves to come to VA since he can carry here (yes, he is a member here).

SouthernBoy

Welcome to VA, where everybody from New England moves to have rights! Granted NH is the exception. I live in Richmond but you'll love VA there's TONS of us down here, the bar down the street from me even has Sox crap all over it, it's great. and CHEAP!!!!! Still trying to find a range as awesome as Manchester...nothing yet.

FYI: There's no bars in Virginia.

paramedic70002

Welcome!

Are you taking a job in fire or EMS? I think my transport company is hiring up there.

www.medicaltransportllc.com

Like every job theres ups and downs but overall a great place to work.

If you're looking for a place to volunteer EMS, I think Charlottesville-Albemarle VRS is still active, theres also Western Albemarle VRS in Crozet, about 15 miles west. I ran there for a year when I lived up there in the mid 80s. Not as busy but good folks. Lots of VFDs in Albemarle County but IIRC their career staff is growing.

NEVER leave anything valuable to a moving company. My wife's family lost a whole jar of old coins once.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Agent19: as to the presence of the natives - we're hiding out under the genetic dominance of WhiteMan - I'm told my great-grandmother was Chickasaw, though there is no official confirmation of exactly what kind of "native" she was. She make wonderful black-walnut poun'cake, though.

As to the relative deficiencies of Northern Va.: I was born and raised in Alexandria. My great-uncle was the chief of PO-lice, and "Remember the Titans" was about my graduating class (I know, I look much older than that - it's the drugs). But I showed up there about ten years after the beginning of the influx of foreigners (people from Delaware, NY, NJ, Mass., etc. who appeared to work for the U.S. during and after the Great War). Alexandria was still a small, southern town when I was a kid. The cultural differences that have resulted from the recent waves of immigration (again, mostly from the N.E.) have changed things drastically. As I see it, the difference is between the attitude that the State is in power and must compel its citizens to perform as it wishes, as against the belief that the State is us, and if we want to live together, we have to be socially responsible and voluntarily conform ourselves to the rules we have agreed upon through our representatives.

The Yankees tend to believe that "all men are sinners", that they are unrecoverable, and will always be evil, and therefore, some evil must be tolerated - but we'll come down on anyone who goes over a certain line (or whom we just don't like) like a ton of bricks. It's a system where social status is more important than law, because that's what determines where the line is. Doctors have a different line than do garbagemen. Voluntary compliance with the law is a foreign concept to them; like the "Pirate's Code", the law is "sorta like, guidelines." These systems are based on an ideal of self-indulgence and social control is based primarily on shame, fear, and guilt.

People from Virginia and South Carolina believe that man is recoverable, that sin is not the essence of the human condition, and that salvation comes through more than belief in an intellectual system of theology or acknowledgement of the status of a religious leader or organization. Hence, it is up to each of us to "play by the rules"; we try to be polite and civil, and to voluntarily comply with the law. That's the ideal, at least, many of us still roll through stop signs. We regard the law as something that, as our own creation, exists independently of any of us as individuals, and applies equally to all of us as individuals. Since we believe in the application of the law in a serious way, we strongly reject the multiplicity of laws, especially those which have the effect of criminalizing otherwise lawful behavior, or which are simply trying to control behavior by compounding laws upon laws. This system is based on an ideal of social responsibility and social control is through individual self-control, self-discipline, and voluntary submission to agreed-upon legislation.

So, while I am in total sympathy with the OP, and earnestly wish him well, I do hope that he will leave Connecticut and New Hampshire behind in every respect, understand that he is moving to, what to him will be, a foreign country in which he will learn the local mores and become "one of us". The cultural disaster that is Northern Virginia is due to a conflict on a cultural level that I see as sort of a plague.

Jay

I did apply to these guys about one month ago have not heard anything back. I also applied to a computer position with UVA medical center had a face to face interview but they have not made a decision as of yet. I am not planning on making EMS a full time career at least as and EMT-Basic but who knows. I do however want to go for my Intermediate maybe Medic as well. I plan at the very least volunteering for C.A.R.S (Charlottesville Albemarle Rescue Squad)

paramedic70002

If you check the Code of VA (it's too late and I'm too tired, I am "PWI" - posting while impaired!) you'll find that there is no provision in the law for a "bar". You may go to certain places in VA and find things that look like bars, some of them even call themselves bars, but they are not legally "bars" as defined in the Code. As said, they are restaurants that serve alcohol. A certain percentage of their revenue must be non-alcohol sales or they will get their ABC license yanked pretty quick.

Last edited:

TFred

If you check the Code of VA (it's too late and I'm too tired, I am "PWI" - posting while impaired!) you'll find that there is no provision in the law for a "bar". You may go to certain places in VA and find things that look like bars, some of them even call themselves bars, but they are not legally "bars" as defined in the Code. As said, they are restaurants that serve alcohol. A certain percentage of their revenue must be non-alcohol sales or they will get their ABC license yanked pretty quick.
I find it far easier to just say, "Virginia allows no stand-alone bars. We have restaurants that may serve alcohol."

:)

TFred