• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice needed on open carry option please

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
So I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle, and I have to wear this big boot for 12 weeks. Due to the boot I can't really wear pants unless I tuck the leg of the pants into the boot which is really uncomfortable. I have to use crutches as I am not supposed to put any weight on my leg until the 12 weeks is up. So my attire has been mostly basketball shorts and T-shirts. This makes it really impractical to use my Blackhawk paddle holster, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how I could still carry while dealing with my injury. I have a shoulder holster but am not sure if that would be considered "concealed" by my arm if I were out shopping, plus I am not sure how easy that would be while using the crutches. If anyone has an idea I would appreciate it. I have gotten used to open carrying my sidearm and would like to be able to continue doing so while out with the family. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I think a shoulder holster is going to be near impossible.

Might step down to something like a keltec p3at with a pocket clip until you can easily carry a heavier firearm.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I have done the khaki shorts and it works ok. I could go bye a couple more pairs so I have enough to get through the week.
I guess I'm just curious if anyone open carries while dressing lazily as I call it(gym shorts and t). I just forgot how nice it was to be in gym shorts all day. Lol.

kcgunfan

I have done the khaki shorts and it works ok. I could go bye a couple more pairs so I have enough to get through the week.
I guess I'm just curious if anyone open carries while dressing lazily as I call it(gym shorts and t). I just forgot how nice it was to be in gym shorts all day. Lol.

I don't. I feel like I'm going to lose my shorts. I go with cargo pants and a super sturdy leather belt.

Shooter64738

I have had good luck wearing a 3" wide weight belt. Goes on over you underpants with a paddle holster then shorts go on over that. I had to cut a notch in the belt so it was only 2" wide where I wanted the paddle to clip. Feels and carrys just like iwb with jeans on.

This is only viable if you have a ccw, which it sounded like you did. Good luck to you. Recovery can be a pain.

Big Boy

yep cargo and belt. however it may be impractical to OC with crutches any how, banging the crutches against your gun each step.

Richieg150

I had a broken leg, and used crutches and carried open,useing the belts on this link. I have used just the inner duty belt,with my serpa holster with no problems. I have also used the outer duty belt, with no problems. I have also use both belts together,which keeps the outer belt exactly where you want it due to the velcro on both belts connecting when you put them on together. I wore sweat pant or gym shorts and just put the belt on around my waist over what I was wearing, it worked great for me, and hitting my firearm with my crutches never happened.

http://pythonholsters.com/products.html?catalog[name]=Belts&catalog[decision_model_guids][0]=a600b510-8939-4049-aa07-aadd7b0e29e0

cash50

When jogging, I carry concealed under my gym shorts. I use an old leather belt, which I put on over my underwear, but under the shorts. Then I clip the KelTec PF9 to it, pull up the shorts - if necessary -, and voila.

cash50

Aw crap, that's concealed. Whoops. I dunno how you'd do it without belt loops.

You could ankle carry on your good leg?? Terribly impractical, but open carry nonetheless.

cash50

Thanks for the link, Richie. I currently use 1.75'' belt, and like having loops FWIW.

Another option I just thought of was the drop leg holster. I've been wanting one for my Beretta for a while.

StevenSTL

Open carry will be pretty difficult in that situation. I have a Kahr CM9 that conceals nicely in the pocket of gym shorts. It's a beautiful thing.