• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc vs cc

357ruger

Hi, ocer's
I am new to this site. today i called LOUISIANA CHP Section and asked if i oc 'ed w/ having a chp , the girl said to not have my permit on me when i am oc ing.

georg jetson

Welcome!!

Rule number 1 - don't ask cops legal questions... and that applies in any state.

So that we can grasp how ridiculous that is... ask them if you WALK, should you NOT carry a drivers license on you. (TIC)

Last edited:

HeroHog

Hi, ocer's
I am new to this site. today i called LOUISIANA CHP Section and asked if i oc 'ed w/ having a chp , the girl said to not have my permit on me when i am oc ing.

She is WRONG as there is no law or reason to say such a thing as it has no bearing on Open Carry. I have both a CHP and I OC daily. Check with Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League for Louisiana specific information and/or call LSP CCP Unit: 225-925-4867 Supervisor. Sgt. Reavis, the final authority on Louisiana CHP this side of a jury. There are a ton of links on their site to LA carry laws and references as well. A lot of those guys hang out here in the Louisiana section as well.

georg jetson

She is WRONG as there is no law or reason to say such a thing as it has no bearing on Open Carry. I have both a CHP and I OC daily. Check with Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League for Louisiana specific information and/or call LSP CCP Unit: 225-925-4867 Supervisor. Sgt. Reavis, the final authority on Louisiana CHP this side of a jury. There are a ton of links on their site to LA carry laws and references as well. A lot of those guys hang out here in the Louisiana section as well.

No Law enforcement agency is the "final authority" on ANYTHING regarding the law. The La. Constitution is the final authority in this state and that final authority is realized by proper application through the state court system.

georg jetson

That is so the cops cannot "stop and ID" you. You should also leave your driver's license behind if you are walking. That way when they stop you only because of open carrying or because of a MWAG call and demand to see identification you won't have any to show them. Also, not having your CHP on your possession means they cannot attempt to coerce you to conceal the gun because it would be illegal to do so, AND they can't hold your CHP up in front of your face and threaten to revoke it because they got a call about your gun.

It's actually very sound advice. Many people refer to it as "sterile carry" (open carrying without any identification in your possession at all).

NO... that is NOT sound advice in THIS state. The only sound advice is for you to begin educating yourself about La. law so that you can handle any LEO contacts properly. You may wish to begin here...

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=112364

Just like LEOs are taught that each contact with a citizen is different, so it is the same for the citizens.

Last edited:

georg jetson

So how does this:

Affect carrying sterile at all? Where in the statute that you linked to does it state that the person must possess or carry an identification document? I would suggest you take your own advice and educate yourself about LA law. Nowhere in the statute you posted is it required for a person to produce an identification document.

??? It doesn't. And your post is irrelevant.

The point is this

#1 READ the law for YOURSELF.

#2 We are here to help you if you need direction finding what to read.

Speaking to "sterile carry"... if the OP decides, after doing his OWN research, that would be best for him then so be it. I prefer to NOT give my ID. Simple enough. We all need to learn how to enforce our rights during an LEO contact... not hide from it.

Last edited:

Aknazer

No Law enforcement agency is the "final authority" on ANYTHING regarding the law. The La. Constitution is the final authority in this state and that final authority is realized by proper application through the state court system.

Uhh, LE is the final authority short of going to court, hence why the person you quoted said "this side of a jury" as in w/o going to court. There is nothing you can do in regards to police interpretation/enforcement of the law without going to court, which makes them the final authority "this side of a jury."

Seigi

I'd rank an attorney higher, but perhaps that's my personal bias. Or it could be the graduate education, ongoing legal training, and the duty of competence, recognized as an ethical imperative and as a basis for civil liability, that attorneys have. Remind me again, please: what happens if cops give bad advice? How much time do they spend researching the legal issue you present them with?

If you want legal advice, seek out an attorney. I'm not saying that a cop's input is not worth knowing, if nothing else it tells you something about their disposition, but by no means is it the highest authority you can get prior to dealing with a jury. Advising a client so that they don't end up before a jury is unquestionably a job for a lawyer.

georg jetson

Uhh, LE is the final authority short of going to court, hence why the person you quoted said "this side of a jury" as in w/o going to court. There is nothing you can do in regards to police interpretation/enforcement of the law without going to court, which makes them the final authority "this side of a jury."

I understand what Herohog was trying to say... However, just because the court system is used does not ,in itself, imply the use of a jury.

georg jetson

I'd rank an attorney higher, but perhaps that's my personal bias. Or it could be the graduate education, ongoing legal training, and the duty of competence, recognized as an ethical imperative and as a basis for civil liability, that attorneys have. Remind me again, please: what happens if cops give bad advice? How much time do they spend researching the legal issue you present them with?

If you want legal advice, seek out an attorney. I'm not saying that a cop's input is not worth knowing, if nothing else it tells you something about their disposition, but by no means is it the highest authority you can get prior to dealing with a jury. Advising a client so that they don't end up before a jury is unquestionably a job for a lawyer.

Remind us what happens when ANYONE but an attorney gives bad advice!! lol!

Haven't seen you post in a while Seigi. Glad you're still around.

HeroHog

The fact is that Sgt. Reavis is THE single most knowledgeable person in the chain of command and short of a court of law concerning Louisiana Gun law and he is very fair, and, as far as has ever been demonstrated, not one to give out improper/incorrect information. If HE says it's Legal/not legal, you can probably take it to the bank. Should you double check it? Of course you should! At least you will be starting with a reliable source and be on the right road to do your research!

PS: Sgt. Reavis is a source that garners respect. If you are in a jam and refer to him as the source of your information, it usually will at least get the officer/whoever to do a LITTLE fact checking if that is where you got your information. Just saying officer Billy Bob told me it was OK carries NO weight.

sraacke

Just saying officer Billy Bob told me it was OK carries NO weight.

True that. I recently posted a comment in a discussion on LOCAL where someone stated that a LSP trooper told him to keep his pistol unloaded and locked in the glove compartment to be legal carrying in his vehicle. I've had discussions with BRPD officers who argued that nobody under 21yo could carry a gun. Cops are often guilty of misinformation.

georg jetson

The fact is that Sgt. Reavis is THE single most knowledgeable person in the chain of command and short of a court of law concerning Louisiana Gun law and he is very fair, and, as far as has ever been demonstrated, not one to give out improper/incorrect information. If HE says it's Legal/not legal, you can probably take it to the bank. Should you double check it? Of course you should! At least you will be starting with a reliable source and be on the right road to do your research!

PS: Sgt. Reavis is a source that garners respect. If you are in a jam and refer to him as the source of your information, it usually will at least get the officer/whoever to do a LITTLE fact checking if that is where you got your information. Just saying officer Billy Bob told me it was OK carries NO weight.

lol!! I don't doubt your claim that "Sgt. Reavis is THE single most knowledgeable person in the chain of command." That's great. But is it helpful to have people get in the habit of relying on info from an LEO. particularly when such info can be life changing?

I'm trying to impress upon people the importance of finding things out for themselves, particularly when the internet makes such activity much more practical. This will give the OCer more confidence in their position and most of all, they will learn to not say ANYTHING during contact with a LEO. Particularly about the source of their information.

Gunslinger

That is so the cops cannot "stop and ID" you. You should also leave your driver's license behind if you are walking. That way when they stop you only because of open carrying or because of a MWAG call and demand to see identification you won't have any to show them. Also, not having your CHP on your possession means they cannot attempt to coerce you to conceal the gun because it would be illegal to do so, AND they can't hold your CHP up in front of your face and threaten to revoke it because they got a call about your gun.

It's actually very sound advice. Many people refer to it as "sterile carry" (open carrying without any identification in your possession at all).

Agreed, but the incongruity of his being 'told' that is remarkable.

Gunslinger

I thought all cops in LA were named Billy-Bob?

HeroHog

lol!! I don't doubt your claim that "Sgt. Reavis is THE single most knowledgeable person in the chain of command." That's great. But is it helpful to have people get in the habit of relying on info from an LEO. particularly when such info can be life changing?
And? Did you not read where I pointed out that should use that as a base of reference? Do you think giving someone good information to start their search for knowledge is a bad idea? I fail to see what has your undies in a bunch. I simply pointed out that, of all the officers you could talk to, that there is ONE that I would trust and even then, it's best to follow that up with a little due-diligence.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
Actually, I'm going to call out the OP as either a liar or a troll. I've spoken with all of the people in the LSP CHP office, and they all know the law better than that.

Also notice that this is his one and only post.

KBCraig

Actually, I'm going to call out the OP as either a liar or a troll. I've spoken with all of the people in the LSP CHP office, and they all know the law better than that.

Also notice that this is his one and only post.
And he listed his location as "louisisana".

sraacke

Is there a oc meeting in or arpound baton rouge?
Where,when,what time?

The Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League meets on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30pm in LaPlace at the Shoneys Resturant. It's a quick shot down Interstate 10 from BR.
Informal meetups are certainly possible whenever OCers are planning on being somewhere together such as pistol matches or gun shows. Just pick a place and time and announce it.