• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verizon Wireless reserves the right to refuse access to customers if they bear arms

Bill Starks

State Researcher
After I & another OCDO member had issues with security at 2 different Verizon locations in Washington State, I wrote an email to corporate to get the official Corporate Policy. Here is the email I received today after a lengthy phone call with "Marsha" from Verizon.
-Funny thing from the phone conversation, I was told if I didn't want to give up my firearm, I could visit BestBuy or Walmart to be able to put "hands on" a device to which I informed her both of those corporate entities allow lawful carry in their stores.......

from wfmweirt@hq.verizonwireless.com
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM
subject RE: Other (WFM75427955)
mailed-by hq.verizonwireless.com

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless regarding our firearm policy. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. My name is Marsha, and I am happy to recap our conversation regarding Verizon Wireless corporate policy. It is our policy to not allow firearms in any of our Retail outlets. Verizon Wireless reserves the right to refuse access to customers if they bear arms in the store.

Please note, that this not intended on an infringement of personal rights, we want to protect our property and employees from any and all threats. Should you need anything further, please feel free to contact us. Thanks again for choosing Verizon Wireless and being the BEST part of the network.

Thank you,

Marsha Vigil
Verizon Wireless- Customer Service
Internet Response Team

Last edited:

09jisaac

This is the part that bothers me:

Please note, that this not intended on an infringement of personal rights, we want to protect our property and employees from any and all threats. Should you need anything further, please feel free to contact us. Thanks again for choosing Verizon Wireless and being the BEST part of the network.

They clearly called YOU a threat.

Like if I was going to commit a felony in their store with my firearm I would read their policy and say "Oh snap, they prohibit firearms better not go rob the place!" or that the police COULD actually respond fast enough to stop an armed robbery if it was going to take place just because of this policy. This policy does NOTHING at all besides makes them a more viable target. It only stops those willing to follow the rules and the laws.

Jack House

-Funny thing from the phone conversation, I was told if I didn't want to give up my firearm, I could visit BestBuy or Walmart to be able to put "hands on" a device to which I informed her both of those corporate entities allow lawful carry in their stores.......
I am confused. She told you that you could go to Wal-Mart or BestBuy(if you did not want to leave your gun in the car) and you responded by saying you could carry in Wal-Mart or BestBuy? :confused:

Deek

Good thing I saw this now.... just last night I decided to switch from the crappy service I'm getting from the wireless card for my laptop to a verizon my-fi 4G thingie. Now, if they are going all anti-2A, all they get is a note saying how they've lost out on my cash.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd 5-6 times to the Verizon in Newport News near the mall, and nobody said squat. I'm sure they noticed. I guess corporate didn't tell them the policy.

It is best not to ask corporate. My guess is they make up an anti policy on the spot if you do. JMHO.

xd shooter

E-mail sent to Marsha, detailing that I will NOT be continuing with Verizon wireless when my current contract runs out.

Sad because I have been with Verizon for over 10 years.

eye95

I've OC'd 5-6 times to the Verizon in Newport News near the mall, and nobody said squat. I'm sure they noticed. I guess corporate didn't tell them the policy.

It is best not to ask corporate. My guess is they make up an anti policy on the spot if you do. JMHO.

I don't recommend asking anyone until the right is denied. Then, very definitely, call corporate.

Here is my email:

I first got my Alltel phone 15 years ago when hardly anyone carried cell phones. I became a Verizon customer when the companies merged. I will end that 15-year association in December if you do not change your gun-banning policies. Furthermore, I will advertise your policy on the gun sites that I post on (and even some I don't yet belong to). Between two of them, that's about 25,000 posters, almost all of whom will not think twice about dropping your service.

We are not asking for a pro-gun policy, just gun-neutral, the same kind of policy that Best-Buy, Wal-Mart, Sears, and hundreds of other nation-wide chains follow, that is to simply follow State law. If State law does not prohibit carry in your establishment, then you should not either. It is not the gun carried by the customer who would follow your rules that you need worry about. It is the gun that is carried by the person who does not care about your rules nor the local laws. That gun will be carried into your store anyway. The only gun that is being banned is the one carried by the responsible person.

December. When my contract is up. I'm gone. Unless you adopt a reasonable policy on guns.

Xxx Xxxxxxx
999-999-9999 and
999-999-9999

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I sent another email this morning..... and a reply later that afternoon.

Marsha,
After our phone call and after reading your email yesterday (5/3/11) I felt I needed to write you once again on the firearms matter.
As I stated on the phone I have been carrying a firearm for many years and I have begun to see more and more "Gun Free" zones being taken advantage of by the criminal element and I do not wish to see Verizon one of them. If danger presents itself I want to know I have more than a display to hide behind or a Smartphone to throw at them. Cowering and waiting for the police is not such a blindingly obvious choice when you take into account that courage is also a virtue.
By not allowing firearms Verizon has created a “Gun Free Zone.” If a person was to come on Verizon property with a weapon in violation of policy and commits an act of violence is Verizon promising that they will prevent this act, as one would if I were allowed my personal weapon as guaranteed by both the State and US Constitutions? Be aware that the police have no legal duty to respond and prevent crime or protect the victim. In the 1980’s the Supreme Court stated “You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole.” This statement was taken from the case, Warren v District of Columbia. The case involved 3 women who were held captive, raped, robbed & beaten for over 14 hours.
I'm a combat veteran and I've grown up around firearms all my life. I have spent many hours carrying a pistol, attending safety courses & target practice. I hold 5 concealed licenses that allow me to carry a firearm in 34 different states. This means that I had my background checked, was finger printed & photographed and in some cases had to provide references and or competency training. I was on various Army pistol teams during my 10 years in the service. I carry a pistol with me every day, everywhere I go. I don’t shoot people, or have any intention of shooting people. Most people wouldn’t guess that I have a pistol unless I choose to Open Carry. I don’t carry it because I’m going somewhere dangerous and I’ll need it, I carry it because I am responsible for my own safety. The responsibility of carrying a firearm is not for everyone I’ll admit that but carrying a pistol does not make a criminal, and not all citizens jump to this conclusion.
In Washington State over 258,000 individuals are licensed, not permitted but “licensed” to legally carry concealed pistols for protection from violent criminals. I carry a firearm, because no one else should have to run to my rescue. I want to do it without fear of the criminal element, and I don’t want to have to wait for law enforcement if I find myself in danger. It’s not because I want to be able to go shoot up your place of business, it’s just because I want to go about my day and not put myself in a helpless position.
Those of us that carried firearms in Verizon before I wrote on the matter were not causing problems or threatening the staff or customers in any way. I hope that you will forward this email up the chain and that one day Verizon would take a look at its policy and do as many other national chains have done and simply follow state law on the matter of firearms.

I thank you for your time,
Me
my cell number

from wfmweirt@hq.verizonwireless.com
to m1gunr@gmail.com
date Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM
subject RE: Other (WFM75427955)
mailed-by hq.verizonwireless.com

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless, I can understand your view on firearms and am sorry for any concerns regarding this matter. My name is Sharon, let me assure you that Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to enhance and / or meet the needs of our customers. I have provided some more information regarding our feedback process below:

Your comments have been forwarded to our leadership department for review and consideration. Your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future. If additional information is needed, a member of our leadership department will be in contact with you.

William, thanks again for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding our firearms policy. I was happy to pass along your comments regarding this matter. We definitely appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Sharon
Verizon Wireless, Customer Service
Internet Response Team

since9

Campaign Veteran
Dear Verizon, c/o Marsha and Sharon:

You claim you're protecting your property and your customers by refusing entry to honest, law-abiding citizens who carry a firearm commensurate with local, state, and federal law.

Er...

This is backwards. The truth is these honest, law-abiding citizens are no threat whatsoever to either your property or your customers. Instead, they are a deterrent to criminals, those law-breaking individuals who're the real threat to your property and and your customers.

I am a retired military veteran who has carried both openly and concealed, on and off duty, for twenty-two years. These days I open carry as much as possible due to its deterrent value.

Contrary to popular misconception, mothers do not pick up their children and run away screaming in terror. Most don't notice it at all. Others mostly don't care or simply ignore it and carry on with their business. A few (including mothers) have approached me, curious about the firearms regulations in our state, and expressing an interest in protecting themselves and their family against the very real threat of criminal activity present in all 50 states in our Union.

Our Second Amendment wasn't a right granted to us so that we could march with arms in parades. It was a right granted to all U.S. Citizens as being "necessary to the security of a free State." When danger is at our doorstep and seconds count, the police are just minutes away. A lot can happen in that lull between the first few seconds and when the police arrive! While cell phones are useful for alerting the police as to what's going down, and taking pictures for later analysis, they're useless with respect to halting, much less preventing a tragedy in progress.

If Verizon were truly concerned about securing their property and the safety of their customers, they would allow all honest, law-abiding U.S. Citizens to fully exercise their Second Amendment rights in all of their stores.

Last edited:

protias

Hopefully this is resolved. As of right now, they are on my list to not do business with.

2a4all

Dear Verizon, c/o Marsha and Sharon:

You claim you're protecting your property and your customers by refusing entry to honest, law-abiding citizens who carry a firearm commensurate with local, state, and federal law.

Er...

This is backwards. The truth is these honest, law-abiding citizens are no threat whatsoever to either your property or your customers. Instead, they are a deterrent to criminals, those law-breaking individuals who're the real threat to your property and and your customers.

I am a retired military veteran who has carried both openly and concealed, on and off duty, for twenty-two years. These days I open carry as much as possible due to its deterrent value.

Contrary to popular misconception, mothers do not pick up their children and run away screaming in terror. Most don't notice it at all. Others mostly don't care or simply ignore it and carry on with their business. A few (including mothers) have approached me, curious about the firearms regulations in our state, and expressing an interest in protecting themselves and their family against the very real threat of criminal activity present in all 50 states in our Union.

Our Second Amendment wasn't a right granted to us so that we could march with arms in parades. It was a right granted to all U.S. Citizens as being "necessary to the security of a free State." When danger is at our doorstep and seconds count, the police are just minutes away. A lot can happen in that lull between the first few seconds and when the police arrive! While cell phones are useful for alerting the police as to what's going down, and taking pictures for later analysis, they're useless with respect to halting, much less preventing a tragedy in progress.

If Verizon were truly concerned about securing their property and the safety of their customers, they would allow all honest, law-abiding U.S. Citizens to fully exercise their Second Amendment rights in all of their stores.
Not true, Since9. The 2A does not grant any right whatsoever; it affirms a pre-existing right to keep and bear arms while prohibiting the Fedral Government from restricting that right. Clearly, the restriction issue has been ignored. However, McDonald v Chicago extends this prohibition to the States (IMHO), but allows for "reasonable restrictions", whatever they are. The 2A does not apply to private property owners (e.g. a business), which are free to impose any sanctions they see fit. While I would prefer that businesses take a neutral stance on firearms carry, I can do business with Verizon Wireless without entering their stores. (I became a VW customer when Altell merged with them, and bought my current phones on-line.)

Last edited:

Aknazer

That sucks, I recently entered into a 2 year contract with VW. As for everyone that's going to ATT, there's no way I could go back to them. Growing up myself and my family has just had too many issues with them and I would honestly rather give VW my business than ATT; though if this is still the VW policy when my contract ends then I'll likely look at switching back to Sprint.

carry for myself

this is why i use ATT. i OC into the corperate store in scarborough ME weekly, sometimes *depending on if my blackberry is nice* daily. never heard anything except "cash or charge".........thats it lol

i love how they called you *the person she called a threat* the BEST part of their company lmao

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have never had any problems at AT&T,the worst part of this whole situation is that if you wanted to cancel your contract with Verizon you would get hit with a $100-$300 early cancelation charge.

eye95

Hey, Sharon, I didn't "voice" any "concerns." Do what you will. It is a free country. I will do what I will--based on what you choose to do. It is a free country.

Choose wiely, glasshoppuh. Although, I fear that you won't and I will be moving on.