• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Verizon Wireless reserves the right to refuse access to customers if they bear arms

DevinWKuska

Not sure if this is an option for everyone but.. I live in Puyallup WA and many of the verizon stores are actually a separate authorized retailer of Verizon products. I think they are called "Go Wireless." So far I have been in 4 of their stores and have had no issues. The store on 176th and meridian(puyallup/south hill) has a manager whom I gave a flyer to and might pop into the forum. It is my understanding(however limited) that these private retailers dont have to comply with corporate rules so long as their customer service and products meet VW's standards. I live in an area where ATT and T-mobile(which ATT just bought out btw) dont get service, I have a sprint/nextel for my work that also does not work where I live. So for me cancelling VW is just not an option. Especially since home phone service is becoming a thing of the past.

Anyways again just might want to try authorized retailers of VW products never had an issue with OC and usually end up handing out flyers to employees or customers. Thanks for all your input guys!

William Fisher

I wonder how many local bussinesses like Wal-Mart even know what corporate policy is concerning OC. I've heard of security asking OCers to leave the store and still call police even though the OCer complied peacefully and without questioning.

Last edited:

eye95

Not sure if this is an option for everyone but.. I live in Puyallup WA and many of the verizon stores are actually a separate authorized retailer of Verizon products...

I have that option. In fact, they sell Verizon phones and plans in the Exchange on Maxwell--no sales tax. It doesn't matter to me. If their corporate policy won't allow guns to be carried in their stores, they WILL lose my business.

It isn't about being able to carry while buying their products. It is about getting them to respect the right or, if they won't, doing business with someone else who does.

Dahwg

I guess things are just different here in AZ. I've been at the Verizon Wireless company store on MANY occasions while OCing (I was just there today, in fact). I have on more than one occasion not been the only one OCing.

I dunno about their corporate policy, but here in AZ there are no problems.

On a comical side note. I walked into the bank today while CCing. One of the bankers shouts out, "HEY! you'd better be packing heat, We all like to see you walk in armed." I assured her I was and we all had a good laugh. One of the other customers seemed a bit confused by the whole exchange, I just smiled sweetly at her.

hogeaterf6

Wow I thought about switching. Guess I will stay with ATT. Been with then since 1995.

I'm sure its ok for cops to carry. Never really understood why cops have more of a 2A right then others, but oh well.

I'm spreading the word.......

since9

Campaign Veteran
Time to add all Verizon stores to the Friend or Foe website with a negative review citing their Corp policy...
http://www.friendorfoe.us/ . Spread the word.

This is an OUTSTANDING resource! Interestingly, I looked at my city and saw only TWO entries!

I added a few more with whom I've had direct dealings i.e. I saw the sign restricting or prohibiting 2A rights, inquired within, attempted to convince them otherwise, but no joy.

There is NO need request for personal information. All you need do is briefly describe your experience i.e. what the sign says, if any, and the outcome of any encounters with the owners/managers.

ETA: I just added about thirty business in my immediate area to the FriendOrFoe website. It's both very easy and very fast (took me one hour). It's every bit as important to add the business which do allow open carry as it is to add those who prohibit either OC or CC.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I tried adding some, I started out with 3 that got negative ratings but only two show up. Then I added a positive that still does not show up.

MR Redenck

Ok, so who am I suppose to get a phone from now? :lol:
AT&T sucks, I went to Verizon because they were better.
Now what am I suppose to do?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Like some others who are armed with this info, I just renewed last month and got 2 new phones so I won't be going anywhere for a while. Plus here in the Northwest Verizon has the best coverage.
Hopefully that second email I sent got pushed up the chain and the powers that be will make a policy change and comply with state law.

eye95

Ok, so who am I suppose to get a phone from now? :lol:
AT&T sucks, I went to Verizon because they were better.
Now what am I suppose to do?

I am going to go with Sprint. Verizon has better total coverage, but Sprint has better 4G coverage--and better rate options.

I am actually hoping that our complaints will cause them to changer their policy before my plan is up in December, in which case I will stay with them. However, since they have not even acknowledged my email, I am not confident.

Years ago, Sprint was my home phone and Internet provider. If their level of service has remained as good, they will be a great mobile phone company.

09jisaac

Try flushing your browser's cache, closing it, then reloading it.

Figured out where my comments went, I would find a business then click "rate this business" type what I had to say and then it would add that comment to the business I reviewed previously.

Anyone know how I can change that? Or get it changed (I have three bad reviews on KFC and I only wanted one).

Last edited:

Gunslinger

I am going to go with Sprint. Verizon has better total coverage, but Sprint has better 4G coverage--and better rate options.

I am actually hoping that our complaints will cause them to changer their policy before my plan is up in December, in which case I will stay with them. However, since they have not even acknowledged my email, I am not confident.

Years ago, Sprint was my home phone and Internet provider. If their level of service has remained as good, they will be a great mobile phone company.

My experience with Sprint was bad. They screwed things up not just with the cell, but the landline and cable TV. Dumped them on the landline and cable within months, and the cell after the contract. I really think service depends upon the area--some good in CO may suck in AL, and vice versa. Have ATT and will probably stay, although the contract is up and I may get a new phone. If so, it won't be Verizon, clearly.

KS_to_CA

Called Verizon tonight. They basically said "we respect 2A rights and we support it on a personal basis and we cannot discriminate but it really depends on the store to decide if people are not comfortable. Thank you for supporting Verizon".

My reply, "unless you have a better policy, I am sticking with AT&T".

Now what is AT&T's policy on this, anybody know?

Last edited:

eye95

Called Verizon tonight. They basically said "we respect 2A rights and we support it on a personal basis and we cannot discriminate but it really depends on the store to decide if people are not comfortable. Thank you for supporting Verizon".

Did you talk to someone at the corporate offices? What you report is in direct contradiction to a written communication from a named source at the corporate offices of Verizon.

Barring a written response that the original response is incorrect or that the policy has changed, I won't accept a report of a phone conversation. Since corporate has not deigned to reply to my email to them, I think I will OC into my local store and civilly and calmly request a corporate answer in writing. If they kick me out and/or refuse to give me a written response from corporate, I'll have my answer.

since9

Campaign Veteran

I've carried in both AT&T's store, as well as Verizon's, without issue. Don't know what AT&T's official policy might be.