• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Bill 582 Arrives!

aadvark

To ALL who are Concerned:

The Alabama Legislature has Entroduced House Bill 582, as Authored by Representative Greeson and Representative Oden, as follows: http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/ACASLoginIE.asp

Open Carry Authorized as NOT Disorderly Conduct.

Alabama Codes 1975 13A-11-52 AND 13A-11-59 REPEALED.

Open Carry AND Concealed Carry Allowed in Motor Vehicles, thus making Alabama a 'Gold-Star' Firearm State!

Finally, Sheriffs would be Required to Issue Pistol Permits on a 'SHALL ISSUE' in Nature Basis.

aadvark

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Disorderly conduct, definition revised, carrying a pistol in a vehicle without a pistol permit, authorized, discretion of sheriff in concealed pistol licensing eliminated under certain conditions, certain provisions of concealed pistol licensing revised, Secs. 13A-11-7, 13A-11-73, 13A-11-74, 13A-11-75 am'd.; Secs. 13A-11-52, 13A-11-59 repealed

Gunslinger

Disorderly conduct, definition revised, carrying a pistol in a vehicle without a pistol permit, authorized, discretion of sheriff in concealed pistol licensing eliminated under certain conditions, certain provisions of concealed pistol licensing revised, Secs. 13A-11-7, 13A-11-73, 13A-11-74, 13A-11-75 am'd.; Secs. 13A-11-52, 13A-11-59 repealed

Sounds to me like a great step forward. I've always been surprised by AL's slave state leanings in the heart of free states. Even GA--contaminated by liberal Atlanta, has far better gun laws. Hopefully, that's about to change.

eye95

Alabama's laws are pretty good. Better than Georgia's, I'd say.

We put forth these specific provisions mainly to remove confusion from the law, not to correct it. OC without a license is the law in Alabama (not in GA), but some of the wording in the law allows some to try to twist it into saying that it isn't.

While we were at it (mainly repealing -52, which led to the confusion, and the license being required to carry in a car, the only provision that kept AL from Gold Star status), we also went after the use of DC against OCers, carry at a demonstration, and "may issue," the latter two not even being OC-specific issues.

AL, under black-letter law, is one of the most OC friendly States. We were mainly addressing ways the law promoted abuse by LEOs.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Alabama's laws are pretty good. Better than Georgia's, I'd say.

We at ALOC put forth these specific provisions mainly to remove confusion from the law, not to correct it. OC without a license is the law in Alabama (not in GA), but some of the wording in the law allows some to try to twist it into saying that it isn't.

While we were at it (mainly repealing -52, which led to the confusion, and the license being required to carry in a car, the only provision that kept AL from Gold Star status), we also went after the use of DC against OCers, carry at a demonstration, and "may issue," the latter two not even being OC-specific issues.

AL, under black-letter law, is one of the most OC friendly States. We were mainly addressing ways the law promoted abuse by LEOs.

"May issue" is why I'd put GA over AL. Not OC, per se, but a major black mark. As I said, this bill sounds great for the state and takes away power from local cops to decide what "shall not be infringed" means. Hope it passes quickly.

aadvark

eye95:

We here, in Georgia, will not soon Forget The 'Turn-Coats' in Our Legislature that Promote Firearms during Election Year, but will not do The Same during an Off-Election Year. In an 'Off' Year, 'They' Suddenly have Different Priorities..., which, to Me..., is Politics as Usual.

In Georgia, we STILL NEED: 1. Open Carry of Handguns without any Need for Licensure, 2. Meaningful Public Building Carry, and 3. Remedies for Violations of State-wide Preemption Law.

*** Alabama has Two Preemption Statutes, one for Pistols and one for EVERYTHING Else, and I would like to see that in Georgia as well: Alabama Code 1975 11-45-1.1 AND Alabama Code 1975 11-80-11. ***

aadvark

moonman079

new here with a question.

from what i gather we can open carry in the state. am i right? i tried looking at the link but couldn't find anything on the site. i am not good with all the legal stuff. the main reason i am asking is because i have been told by stores that i can open carry but the sheriffs dept says i can't. i have ran into this problem on carrying an automatic knife as well. i get told one thing by the stores but the cops say something different.
so i was wondering if anyone could tell me the bill that lets us open carry or give me a direct link with the title of the bill and or the bill it self. that way i can bring it up at the sheriffs office.

FTG-05

Documents and tools link located here: http://www.alabamaopencarry.com/

HB582 doesn't make OC legal in AL, since it already is. It just clarifies it and removes some ambiguity and confusion. As far as I know, 582 hasn't passed yet.

Good luck.

eye95

I don't think it will go through this year. We need an organization in Alabama. All it takes is about 5 or 6 folks to start a 501c(4). An organization that can lobby will have a lot more influence.

aadvark

eye95:

I can NOT Believe that House Bill 582 will NOT go through This Year in The Alabama Legislature!

That is Bad News...,

aadvark