• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thank you Uncle Ted - But... NRA Meeting

Uncle Ted (Nugent) at NRA Pittsburgh meeting

• Did you attend the Uncle Ted Experience Sunday ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you remember his comments about Open Carry ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobcul

Sent to <Help@TedNugent.com> Tues 4/3/2011
If there is any reply, I will let you know.

Bob

--------
Thank you Uncle Ted - But...
A View from the NRA Meeting and Convention

My wife Cathy and I enjoyed your rousing presentation at the NRA Experience on Sunday. As you say, if you see a problem - Fix It. As an engineer, I usually do that and now I see a problem that needs addressing.

You spoke about Open Carry of firearms and obviously did not support that practice. I do not remember the precise words you used to describe that activity or those who undertook it, but they were sharp words.

Obviously if one open carries and some criminals decide to attack, and if they are going to shoot someone, the first target they might shoot are the open carriers. Let me explain why I am a sometime open carrier.

1) I, and some other folks, can not or do not want to apply for a concealed carry permission slip. It is a point of personal freedom I am sure you might understand. It sometimes revolves around the background check and fingerprinting of the applicant, as if he were the criminal. Many folks have been fingerprinted in the past as part of other activities they have taken part in. They have given up that part of privacy and have nothing to loose. Others have not and decline to surrender this one remaining piece or personal information. Fortunately, Wyoming, our present part time home and soon to be our full time home, has adopted Constitutional Carry, the fourth state to do so. Constitutional Carry is on a trend as was Concealed Carry a decade or two ago.

2) Open Carry is sometimes done for “Educational” purposes and not just self defense. Yesterday I read an essay from a peace officer about folks who open carry to protest. I believe that education is the term that is more correct than protest in most of these cases. Never the less, some folks get confrontational as in a protest. Fortunately that peace officer acknowledged and strongly supported the Constitutional right to protest or demonstrate by legally open carrying. I direct you to an Open Carry activity from last Independence Day, the Walk In The Park, at; <http://www.mcsm.org/walkinpark.pdf> and <http://www.mcsm.org/walkinpark2.pdf> The first is the educational flyer that was used and the second is a travel log description of the event.

In closing, if you see something wrong, fix it. You can start by pointing out the problem, strongly if necessary, but then offer corrective recommendations. We know that open carry makes us a target. That is something we freely commit ourselves to, without reservation, and plan to counter an attack, if and when needed. We know that there are others around us openly or discretely carrying. It would amaze you how few people notice an openly carried firearm and how heightened it makes the carrier, more aware of his surroundings. See the second above PDF title about the dinner at Billy’s Burgers.

If you care to discuss this at any time, let me know. It could provide a new point of view or even new material for your presentations. BTW, the American Militia essays at; <http://www.mcsm.org/ammilitia01.html> might also be interesting to you.

Your brother in freedom.

Bob Culver, MCSM

77zach

If the NRA successfully promoted the open carry of firearms, people would see that they're just tools. "Gun Control" could literally die, and the NRA as a lobby would have to be significantly downsized. When firearms are carried in a concealed manner, we give in to the sentiment that they are dirty, scary objects that only kooks carry around.

I have to confess that while OC is not the ultimate solution to all potential defensive encounters, I don't understand the preference to conceal. Open carry is about stopping violence before it happens. CC is about reacting to it.

The reason OC is denigrated is that we are taught it is socially unacceptable to wear a firearm. If you change the perception to it being a nifty piece of man-jewelry, then Sarah Brady would have to find a new line of work. So would many LEOs.

Last edited:

eye95

I think that the NRA is committed to the status quo. They want to keep permitted carry (and get it back where it has been lost) and to keep an enforcement structure. They don't really want a full-blown RKBA. They'd lose their raison-d'etre.

I read a book, decades ago, whose ultimate premise was that, regardless of the reason for its creation, the primary purpose of every system becomes its own continued existence. The NRA is no exception.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
After some recent BS with the NRA I've been reading about, stuff on NRA (A)WOL, especially with what the NRA did to OC in FL this year, I'm not sure I'll be re-upping my membership this winter... but then again, I HAVE to be a member to be a member at my shooting range...FUUUUUUU

Last edited:

PracticalTactical

I think that the NRA is committed to the status quo. They want to keep permitted carry (and get it back where it has been lost) and to keep an enforcement structure. They don't really want a full-blown RKBA. They'd lose their raison-d'etre.

I read a book, decades ago, whose ultimate premise was that, regardless of the reason for its creation, the primary purpose of every system becomes its own continued existence. The NRA is no exception.

It's the Iron Rule of Bureaucracy. Those who work to continue the existence of the bureaucracy always wind up in positions of leadership. From that point on, the bureaucracy works toward perpetuation rather than to pursue the goals for which it was created.

eye95

I bumped into that very problem in an organization the day before yesterday. When you see an organization move from its original purpose to self-maintenance, it's time to move on. The folks heavily involved in that maintenance don't see it, and get really touchy when it is pointed out to them.

*sigh*

MR Redenck

When was this NRA event. I want to see some video coverage of Ted Nugnet not supporting open carry!!!
This is really disturbing!
Dates or video please.

MR Redenck

:shocker: Listen to Uncle Ted... [video=youtube;urbF5s8GMmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urbF5s8GMmQ[/video]

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
When was this NRA event. I want to see some video coverage of Ted Nugnet not supporting open carry!!!
This is really disturbing!
Dates or video please.

Yes! Video please. I want to hear what he had to say.

^
but we must see it for what it still is: an un-Constitutional infringement on our G-d* given right to self defense
Really? You can't write, "GOD?"
(*Out of respect, observant Jews do not write out the name of the Almighty in secular texts.)
Isn't GOD a title? Doesn't every religion have a GOD? God is not a name. It is a title. Jehovah is a name... Jesus is a name... Just saying... It kind of irks me when people don't know the difference. Obama's name is not PRESIDENT, that's his title...

Last edited:

eye95

Yes! Video please. I want to hear what he had to say.

^

Really? You can't write, "GOD?"

Isn't GOD a title? Doesn't every religion have a GOD? God is not a name. It is a title. Jehovah is a name... Jesus is a name... Just saying... It kind of irks me when people don't know the difference. Obama's name is not PRESIDENT, that's his title...

I don't get the not-writing-God thing either. When they write G-d, I see zero distinction from writing God. They know what they mean; we know what they mean; God knows what they mean. It is an absolute synonym, exactly equivalent, so they, in essence, have done precisely what they are trying to avoid doing.

Not that I worry about it. I have many Jews in my family and know a little more about the practice of that religion than many other Christians do. Its full of these small distinctions that carry great import due abstract meanings of actions. By taking some small action, it brings to mind some much greater ideal. I guess as long as the act of writing G-d increases the reverence the writer feels, the act becomes significant to him, even if not to the reader.

Oh, BTW, your link gives me a "Not found." Maybe it's my computer and not your link.

MR Redenck

since9

Campaign Veteran
The Day I’ll Join The NRA – An Open Letter To Ted Nugent
By Aaron Zelman

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/03/open-letter-to-ted-nugent/

2. When the NRA aggressively presses to abolish all concealed carry permit laws.

Let us PLEASE not burn the bridges behind us before we reach the terra firma of Constitutional Carry.

Thanks.

3. When the NRA calls for the complete and unconditional disbanding of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE).

That would be a step in the right direction.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
My View on Open Carry

Author: Nick Smith

I would appreciate if you weren't 'opposed' to open carry, but rather indifferent to the practice. Because something is not customary does not make it wrong. I believe, in the sense open carry has become less customary, it has been gun owners who have capitulated to the anti gun movement. We have been asked to hide our firearms. We have been asked to behave as criminals have behaved in the concealed carry of our firearms.

"It does scare some people"

Everyday I get up and drive in Seattle-Tacoma traffic and there are times it scares me and other drivers. However, it is not the vehicle that scares me or others it is the behavior of the driver of that vehicle. I think you will find that it is the behavior of an individual that chooses to open carry that scares others not the firearm. I have met some who concealed carry whose behavior scares me and others. I am sure that you have met people whose behavior scares you on a regular basis. In the state of Washington approximately 1 in 20 are carrying a concealed firearm. Wouldn't you rather see the firearm on a person whose behavior is poor and inappropriate then guess which of those 20 people is the one?

For the last couple of years I have carried openly and I will say that 95% of the people in public do not see my firearm. Why? Because I am polite, courteous, and professional. Furthermore, my behavior invokes trust, not fear in others. I go about my business as though I was concealed. I carry openly for that small percent that do ask and are genuinely curious about the practice and then I am willing to educate and be a positive face to gun owners.

I have chosen to come out of the closet and be transparent in my behavior and actions. I cannot be a jerk to the clerk at the grocery store. I cannot be inconsiderate to the next person getting on the bus or elevator. I have chosen to be open and honest by carrying my firearm openly. I have chosen to engage in a movement to normalize the practice. I have chosen to educate others and also to correct the behavior of others who open carry whose behavior is not polite, courteous, professional and kind. It is a burden that I actively engage.

zack991

Agree 100000%it amazes me that so many people blindly give money to the NRA and they honestly think they are going to protect their rights.

zack991

A member on another gun forum brought up some good questions

"Well JPFO Speaks some sense here.

BTW anyone know if the Allegation about Regan wanting to dismantle the BATF was opposed by the NRA?
I've heard allegations that the NRA had a hand in the 1934 and 1968 gun laws as well, Reportedly such is admitted in a 1968 American Rifleman issue in response to complaints the NRA never supports gun laws.

JPFO Is also alleging they had a hand in the writing.. I have'nt seen any hard proof though, It was well before I was born and I don't know anyone with a copy of AR that far back.

Meh, Anyway JPFO puts out some interesting stuff anyone who has'nt watched No gun's for Negro's Check it out."

Uber_Olafsun

Ted speaking how someone could take your gun or make you a target?!?!?!

This is the guy that is so into guns if he was just wearing briefs you would still wonder if he had one hidden somewhere. Heck you see Ted would you even bother to see if he was concealed? It would just seem he had one somewhere.