• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Bike Ride :(

RJ_Whitlock

It was a nice day out today where I live, I went out to my parents open carrying not a problem. Got home and decided to go for a bike ride while listening to music cause I haven't been sleeping good lately so I figured it would help me get a little sleepy. About three blocks from my house I'm swarmed by 3 police cars. There was four officers, they also handcuffed me. One was getting lippy, saying this Fergus have common sense. He pointed at my holster and said "It's sh*t like this that makes the second amendment look bad.'' I told him that what I was doing was perfectly legal or I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. After the checked my credentials and I showed them the BCA document and told them to go to Question 22. They got quite. One officer called the DA I believe, to see if the paper I had was legitimate. Of course they called back and said it was. After they uncuffed me they said this is your warning, if you get called in again they were going to bring me in. One officer said even though you can open carry you shouldn't. I was smiling to myself on the inside. Needless to say I probably I'll try not to open carry I guess??

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
It was a nice day out today where I live, I went out to my parents open carrying not a problem. Got home and decided to go for a bike ride while listening to music cause I haven't been sleeping good lately so I figured it would help me get a little sleepy. About three blocks from my house I'm swarmed by 3 police cars. There was four officers, they also handcuffed me. One was getting lippy, saying this Fergus have common sense. He pointed at my holster and said "It's sh*t like this that makes the second amendment look bad.'' I told him that what I was doing was perfectly legal or I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. After the checked my credentials and I showed them the BCA document and told them to go to Question 22. They got quite. One officer called the DA I believe, to see if the paper I had was legitimate. Of course they called back and said it was. After they uncuffed me they said this is your warning, if you get called in again they were going to bring me in. One officer said even though you can open carry you shouldn't. I was smiling to myself on the inside. Needless to say I probably I'll try not to open carry I guess??
And they win?

Unless they can make a lawful charge stick, what can they do other than harass you. Carry a recorder, and document the encounter. Complain to the chief so there is a pattern established.

Lots of examples of how to go about this on this site.

Welcome and don't give up, just be prepared.

RJ_Whitlock

And they win?

Unless they can make a lawful charge stick, what can they do other than harass you. Carry a recorder, and document the encounter. Complain to the chief so there is a pattern established.

Lots of examples of how to go about this on this site.

Welcome and don't give up, just be prepared.

What I don't really understand is what the hell conceal truly means, because one of the officers just told me to put my shirt over it and I'm fine. Well everyone who carries or just even wears a shirt knows they ride up still exposing the firearm to a degree. So I could still get called in and then what? I know if they arrested me I would definitely be looking for a lawyer.

RJ_Whitlock

I just emailed the chief of police where I live asking him for some advice on the situation, and he told me to get a permit to carry.... Like what law abiding citizen would open carry a handgun and not have their permit to carry :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just emailed the chief of police where I live asking him for some advice on the situation, and he told me to get a permit to carry.... Like what law abiding citizen would open carry a handgun and not have their permit to carry :eek:

Me and all of my fellow Virginians. :D

robdoar

What I don't really understand is what the hell conceal truly means, because one of the officers just told me to put my shirt over it and I'm fine. Well everyone who carries or just even wears a shirt knows they ride up still exposing the firearm to a degree. So I could still get called in and then what? I know if they arrested me I would definitely be looking for a lawyer.

File a data practices request, and get the 911 call, and radio traffic. This will give you the officer names and/or badge numbers. (let me know if you need help with this)

Then file an official complaint on the officers.

Carry a recorderor get one on your phone. If they are harassing you, you will want evidence, and your lawyer will love you for it.

Don't give up, don't let the police try to scare you out of your rights. What department was this?

Riverdance

2d amendment

"One was getting lippy,....and said "It's sh*t like this that makes the second amendment look bad.''

Response: "It's sh*t like this that makes cops look bad."