Thread: Motts Run Reservoir Park - Fredericksburg VA

Motts Run Reservoir Park - Fredericksburg VA

A letter I sent regarding Motts Run Reservoir Park in Fredericksburg VA.

With thanks to JMelvin for the letter format posted earlier.

Also thanks to the MANY others who have worked so hard fighting for firearms rights in Virginia. They were the inspiration....

-----------------------------------
    Mr. Robert Antozzi, Director
    Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department
    408 Canal Street
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    May 2, 2011

Mr. Antozzi,
    It has come to my attention that there is an invalid and unenforceable regulation published by the Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department for Motts Run Reservoir Park; Section A-GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS, Item #7: "Firearms, fireworks, and weapons of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.".

This regulation is clearly in violation of the Code of Virginia 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+15.2-915 (attached).

This inaccurate regulation seems to appear in multiple locations, including the following two pages of the Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department website:
    http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Depa...oir_Use_Policy
    http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Depa...ex.aspx?id=272

Please correct this situation as soon as possible, in every location where the information provided to the public is inaccurate. I would also request informing Motts Run Reservoir Park personnel of the correction in policy.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated and I look forward to your early response.
    Sincerely,

Mike (last name)
    (my address)

cc:
    Mr. David Nye, Chief of Police
    Fredericksburg Police Department
    2200 Cowan Blvd.
    Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401

Ms. Kathleen Dooley, City Attorney
    City of Fredericksburg
    615 Princess Anne Street
    PO Box 7447
    Fredericksburg, VA 22404

Mr. Howard Smith, Sheriff
    Spotsylvania Sheriff's Department
    PO Box 124
    Spotsylvania, VA 22553

Well, I am embarrassed. In my own "back yard". I've scoured the city code for violations, but I have never chased down the public facility links on the web site.

I am quite impressed, generally, with Mrs. Dooley, the city attorney. I have spoken with her on a number of occasions, and she is frequently called on to clarify legal matters at city council meetings, which she does very well. If she is brought into this issue, I expect she will inform them correctly and quickly.

Mr. Antozzi is a very busy man at the moment. The city is smack dab in the middle of evaluating 8 huge proposals from 5 different vendors for new court facilities, a process which he is heading up.

I've decided to postpone some of my personal lobby efforts until some of this high pressure stuff has settled down a bit.

V/R,

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Well, I am embarrassed. In my own "back yard". I've scoured the city code for violations, but I have never chased down the public facility links on the web site.

I am quite impressed, generally, with Mrs. Dooley, the city attorney. I have spoken with her on a number of occasions, and she is frequently called on to clarify legal matters at city council meetings, which she does very well. If she is brought into this issue, I expect she will inform them correctly and quickly.

Mr. Antozzi is a very busy man at the moment. The city is smack dab in the middle of evaluating 8 huge proposals from 5 different vendors for new court facilities, a process which he is heading up.

I've decided to postpone some of my personal lobby efforts until some of this high pressure stuff has settled down a bit.

V/R,

TFred
    Mrs Dooley has been brought into it... I mailed her a copy of the letter too.

Perhaps Mr Antozzi is busy.... but I'm sure he can find the time to address this issue in a timely manner. If not, I'll give him a reminder....

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Mrs Dooley has been brought into it... I mailed her a copy of the letter too.

Perhaps Mr Antozzi is busy.... but I'm sure he can find the time to address this issue in a timely manner. If not, I'll give him a reminder....
    Yep, I saw the CC at the end... she may not do anything unless asked though. (By Mr. Antozzi, I mean.)

TFred

Response

I received a mailed letter from the Fredericksburg Parks and Rec Department today.. it said:

May 9, 2011

Dear Mr. XXXX

Thank you for your letter regarding the control of firearms on City owned land and in City owned parks. The signage and references to which you refer or any other discovered beyond those specified will be deleted or corrected.

Should you find any other such references beyond those already specified, please feel free to point them out as well.

Sincerely,

Robert K. Antozzi Ed D, CPRP
    Director

Cc: Recreation Commission
    Ms. Kathleen Dooley, City Attorney
    Mr. David Nye, Chief of Police
    Last edited by Blk97F150; 05-11-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Good stuff!
    Thanks again for the basic letter format. That made it much easier.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Thanks again for the basic letter format. That made it much easier.
    You know I recently looked where someone else thanked me for the letter format and I couldn't find the spot where I'd used that format. It almost looked like a format ed would use, but I can't say for sure. If it's from me you're welcome, and if it's actually from someone else you're welcome too. :P

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    You know I recently looked where someone else thanked me for the letter format and I couldn't find the spot where I'd used that format. It almost looked like a format ed would use, but I can't say for sure. If it's from me you're welcome, and if it's actually from someone else you're welcome too. :P
    LOL! I 'borrowed' it from this thread, and it was attributed to you there.... if it was actually someone elses creation, then 'thanks' to them too!!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1519723

As a resident of Spotsylvania I thank you for your diligence. We were just over at the Motts Run Reservoir and rented an electric skiff. It's a great place. I'm glad to hear that the authorities are so on top of things in this regard.

Update: It looks like they have corrected the information on the website. The 'old' wording used to be:

"7. Firearms, fireworks, and weapons of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.".

The corrected policy now has no mention of firearms:

7. Fireworks of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.

Links:
    http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Depa...oir_Use_Policy

http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Depa...ex.aspx?id=272

I'll shoot off a nice 'thank you' letter to Mr Antozzi for getting this corrected.