• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motts Run Reservoir Park - Fredericksburg VA

Blk97F150

A letter I sent regarding Motts Run Reservoir Park in Fredericksburg VA.

With thanks to JMelvin for the letter format posted earlier. :D

Also thanks to the MANY others who have worked so hard fighting for firearms rights in Virginia. They were the inspiration....

-----------------------------------
Mr. Robert Antozzi, Director
Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department
408 Canal Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
May 2, 2011

Mr. Antozzi,
It has come to my attention that there is an invalid and unenforceable regulation published by the Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department for Motts Run Reservoir Park; Section A-GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS, Item #7: "Firearms, fireworks, and weapons of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.".

This regulation is clearly in violation of the Code of Virginia § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915 (attached).

This inaccurate regulation seems to appear in multiple locations, including the following two pages of the Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department website:
http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Departments/Recreation/index.aspx?id=271#Motts_Run_Reservoir_Use_Policy
http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Departments/Recreation/index.aspx?id=272

Please correct this situation as soon as possible, in every location where the information provided to the public is inaccurate. I would also request informing Motts Run Reservoir Park personnel of the correction in policy.

Your prompt attention to this matter is appreciated and I look forward to your early response.
Sincerely,

Mike (last name)
(my address)

cc:
Mr. David Nye, Chief of Police
Fredericksburg Police Department
2200 Cowan Blvd.
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401

Ms. Kathleen Dooley, City Attorney
City of Fredericksburg
615 Princess Anne Street
PO Box 7447
Fredericksburg, VA 22404

Mr. Howard Smith, Sheriff
Spotsylvania Sheriff's Department
PO Box 124
Spotsylvania, VA 22553

TFred

Well, I am embarrassed. In my own "back yard". I've scoured the city code for violations, but I have never chased down the public facility links on the web site.

I am quite impressed, generally, with Mrs. Dooley, the city attorney. I have spoken with her on a number of occasions, and she is frequently called on to clarify legal matters at city council meetings, which she does very well. If she is brought into this issue, I expect she will inform them correctly and quickly.

Mr. Antozzi is a very busy man at the moment. The city is smack dab in the middle of evaluating 8 huge proposals from 5 different vendors for new court facilities, a process which he is heading up.

I've decided to postpone some of my personal lobby efforts until some of this high pressure stuff has settled down a bit.

V/R,

TFred

Blk97F150

Well, I am embarrassed. In my own "back yard". I've scoured the city code for violations, but I have never chased down the public facility links on the web site.

I am quite impressed, generally, with Mrs. Dooley, the city attorney. I have spoken with her on a number of occasions, and she is frequently called on to clarify legal matters at city council meetings, which she does very well. If she is brought into this issue, I expect she will inform them correctly and quickly.

Mr. Antozzi is a very busy man at the moment. The city is smack dab in the middle of evaluating 8 huge proposals from 5 different vendors for new court facilities, a process which he is heading up.

I've decided to postpone some of my personal lobby efforts until some of this high pressure stuff has settled down a bit.

V/R,

TFred

Mrs Dooley has been brought into it... I mailed her a copy of the letter too. ;)

Perhaps Mr Antozzi is busy.... but I'm sure he can find the time to address this issue in a timely manner. If not, I'll give him a reminder.... :uhoh:

TFred

Mrs Dooley has been brought into it... I mailed her a copy of the letter too. ;)

Perhaps Mr Antozzi is busy.... but I'm sure he can find the time to address this issue in a timely manner. If not, I'll give him a reminder.... :uhoh:
Yep, I saw the CC at the end... she may not do anything unless asked though. (By Mr. Antozzi, I mean.)

TFred

Blk97F150

Response

I received a mailed letter from the Fredericksburg Parks and Rec Department today.. it said:

May 9, 2011

Dear Mr. XXXX

Thank you for your letter regarding the control of firearms on City owned land and in City owned parks. The signage and references to which you refer or any other discovered beyond those specified will be deleted or corrected.

Should you find any other such references beyond those already specified, please feel free to point them out as well.

Sincerely,

Robert K. Antozzi Ed D, CPRP
Director

Cc: Recreation Commission
Ms. Kathleen Dooley, City Attorney
Mr. David Nye, Chief of Police

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Thanks again for the basic letter format. That made it much easier. :D

You know I recently looked where someone else thanked me for the letter format and I couldn't find the spot where I'd used that format. It almost looked like a format ed would use, but I can't say for sure. If it's from me you're welcome, and if it's actually from someone else you're welcome too. :p

Blk97F150

You know I recently looked where someone else thanked me for the letter format and I couldn't find the spot where I'd used that format. It almost looked like a format ed would use, but I can't say for sure. If it's from me you're welcome, and if it's actually from someone else you're welcome too. :p

LOL! I 'borrowed' it from this thread, and it was attributed to you there.... if it was actually someone elses creation, then 'thanks' to them too!! :banana:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?89860-Fauquier-County-parks-firearms-prohibition...&p=1519723&viewfull=1#post1519723

Badger Johnson

As a resident of Spotsylvania I thank you for your diligence. We were just over at the Motts Run Reservoir and rented an electric skiff. It's a great place. I'm glad to hear that the authorities are so on top of things in this regard.

Blk97F150

Update: It looks like they have corrected the information on the website. The 'old' wording used to be:

"7. Firearms, fireworks, and weapons of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.".

The corrected policy now has no mention of firearms:

7. Fireworks of any kind are prohibited on City owned land.

Links:
http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Departments/Recreation/index.aspx?id=271#Motts_Run_Reservoir_Use_Policy

http://www.fredericksburgva.gov/Departments/Recreation/index.aspx?id=272

I'll shoot off a nice 'thank you' letter to Mr Antozzi for getting this corrected. :cool: