• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Lansing Declares: HELL NO! to more taxes

TheQ

Way to go Lansing...

Lansing property tax increase defeated by voters

LANSING -- Lansing voters today defeated a ballot proposal that would have cleared the way for the City Council to pass a four-mill property tax increase and, in doing so, save dozens of police and fire jobs.

The measure asks voter to lift the cap on the city's taxing authority imposed by the 1978 Headlee Amendment, taking it from 19.16 mills to 20 for the next five years.

That would have allowed the City Council to go forward with a plan to raise the property tax rate from 15.44 mills to 19.44, an increase of $4 for every $1,000 of a property’s taxable value.

That would have raised $8.9 million, $400,000 of which would have been absorbed by tax increment financing authorities.

Mayor Virg Bernero has said that without the additional money, the Police Department will lose 78 of its 326 positions, three fire stations will close and the Fire Department will shed 71 of its 225 positions.

With it, 44 police jobs, 36 jobs in the fire department and two fire stations would be spared.

It's time we take back our government instead of them always taking from us!

HKcarrier

What I want to know is why are the fire and police on the chopping block? Those should be the LAST things to go... trash service... parks/rec... Municipal employees... there are soooo many things that should be cut before fire/police.... they're going to put it on us... then make those cuts first for us "defying" them... then say "well you voted for less fire and police"... when other cuts should have been made first and fire/police shouldn't even have been on the table.

Whatever.

autosurgeon

What I want to know is why are the fire and police on the chopping block? Those should be the LAST things to go... trash service... parks/rec... Municipal employees... there are soooo many things that should be cut before fire/police.... they're going to put it on us... then make those cuts first for us "defying" them... then say "well you voted for less fire and police"... when other cuts should have been made first and fire/police shouldn't even have been on the table.

Whatever.

Good points!

stainless1911

Banned

Whatever.

They cut the fire and police first because it gets the attention of the people, and the money that follows it, better than saying they are going to cancel the funding for gabage or the street sweeper at the local park.

Dirty politics is all, dirty politics.

detroit_fan

They cut the fire and police first because it gets the attention of the people, and the money that follows it, better than saying they are going to cancel the funding for gabage or the street sweeper at the local park.

Bingo! They are attempting to play off people emotions. Way to go lansing!

HKcarrier

Yeah, that's what I mean... it is almost like they were trying to hold the people hostage or play mob boss... "well if you cut taxes (read: if you don't submit to our hijack tactics ) we'll hate to see you lose your protection"

PDinDetroit

Yeah, that's what I mean... it is almost like they were trying to hold the people hostage or play mob boss... "well if you cut taxes (read: if you don't submit to our hijack tactics ) we'll hate to see you lose your protection"

That's OK, I was looking for a reason to Open Carry my Tank anyways...

[video=youtube;coPn06OrooM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPn06OrooM[/video]

HKcarrier

YEah, I kind of don't mind if they cut the police... makes me less nutty for wanting to defend myself and my family.

There's a fire station right down the road too... so I'm not worried about that either. :p

PDinDetroit

YEah, I kind of don't mind if they cut the police... makes me less nutty for wanting to defend myself and my family.

There's a fire station right down the road too... so I'm not worried about that either. :p

Anyone who thinks I am nutty for providing for my own self-protection, I simply point them at the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

Castle Rock v. Gonzales said:
The Supreme Court ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

Last edited:

TheQ

I don't rely on the police emergency response to protect my family anyhow. Go ahead, cut them. To me they can respond in 12 minutes or 12 hours. Someone will be restrained, injured, or dead (me or the invader).

I need the Ambulance or Coroner more...

lil_freak_66

Not going to comment on LPD,im sure you can all imagine my feelings on LEO's that sit around for up to 2 hours at a time at a pizza place while on duty in groups of 3 or 4.

LFD?i think we'd be better off with a combination volunteer/paid on call and full time dept.that way responses are still quick(if volly's would be allowed POV responses,even quicker than current),the manpower is there,and its a hell of a lot cheaper. a few dept's in the area do it and it does them well