Thread: Shoreline's Richmond Beach Park, No gun signs

Shoreline's Richmond Beach Park, No gun signs

I was at Shoreline's Richmond Beach Park on Sunday and saw these No Gun Signs, and was wondering whats up with this?

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    I was at Shoreline's Richmond Beach Park on Sunday and saw these No Gun Signs, and was wondering whats up with this?
    Looked up the regulation.

8.12.490 Firearms, weapons and fireworks.

No person shall possess a B.B. gun, firework, firecracker, explosive, sword, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or gas weapon in a city park. No person shall possess or display a firearm in any city park in violation of state law. No person shall discharge across, in, or onto any park area a firearm, firework, firecracker, explosive, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal, or damaging or destroying any public or private property. This section shall not apply where the department has authorized, in writing, such recreational activity upon finding that it is not inconsistent with park use. [Ord. 539 5, 2009; Ord. 195 1, 1999]

Looks like the actual regulation is in compliance because of the "in violation of state law" phrase. However the sign is definatly wrong.

State Pre-Emption protects you.

Their code is good, though vague. The signs need to be changed.

No person shall possess a B.B. gun, firework, firecracker, explosive, sword, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, or gas weapon in a city park. No person shall possess or display a firearm in any city park in violation of state law. No person shall discharge across, in, or onto any park area a firearm, firework, firecracker, explosive, slingshot, bow and arrow, crossbow, gas weapon, or any device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal, or damaging or destroying any public or private property. This section shall not apply where the department has authorized, in writing, such recreational activity upon finding that it is not inconsistent with park use. [Ord. 539 5, 2009; Ord. 195 1, 1999]
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Shoreline Cod

The 'sign' is incorrect and probably before preemption was passed. A few emails and follow up should correct the code listed above.
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 05-03-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

Was walking on the Centennial Trail in Snohomish County this weekend and noticed they still show the "Ghostbusters" no gun signs on their trailhead signs. I've been wondering if we shouldn't all just get some "bumper sticker" type signs made that say "Preempted and Repealed by RCW 0.41.290" that we can just place across these obsolete signs. It could be a "Community Service" project. Just a simple all weather sticker about 3" X 12" or so.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Was walking on the Centennial Trail in Snohomish County this weekend and noticed they still show the "Ghostbusters" no gun signs on their trailhead signs. I've been wondering if we shouldn't all just get some "bumper sticker" type signs made that say "Preempted and Repealed by RCW 0.41.290" that we can just place across these obsolete signs. It could be a "Community Service" project. Just a simple all weather sticker about 3" X 12" or so.
    +10

Probably could get busted for defacing public property if you put stickers on their signs, regardless of intent or accuracy.

Probably want to OC at the park a lot. Eventually someone will come by and have a cow, at which point you can educate them.

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
    Probably could get busted for defacing public property if you put stickers on their signs, regardless of intent or accuracy.
    Unless a group were to get permission as part of a commuity service to do so.........

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky508 View Post
    Unless a group were to get permission as part of a commuity service to do so.........
    Of course we could just have the stickers make up with "Courtesy of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence" printed across the bottom.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Talking

"Please feel free to carry in this park!"
    -
    Courtesy of the Brady Campaign to prevent violence

Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by heresolong View Post

Probably want to OC at the park a lot. Eventually someone will come by and have a cow, at which point you can educate them.
    If a tree falls in the woods when no one is there does it make a sound?
    Live Free or Die!

With the budget constraints most city face, they would probably be agreeable IF they first approved the wording on the stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    +1

And if you wear gloves there will be no prints.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    +1

And if you ever happen to have any contact, like enjoying its shade on a hot day, with that tree you maybe arrested and prosecuted have all your assets seized and spend time in jail for the demise of that tree.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)