• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you know Gun stores in your area that are 100% against "Open Carry" even by CCW's

mister45

Do you know Gun stores in your area that are 100% against "Open Carry" even by CCW's

I have ran into several in my area and almost all the local Pawn shops are just like the Gun shops, They claim they are backing the Second Amendment Rights and back all Gun ownership and their rights, But most in Citrus County are against any and all "Open Carry"... This shocked me as it seems like they would like to see some change to direct more sales from Gun owners... My friends and neighbors told me of several more in Hernando County that are against it as well..

sharkey

Well, I might not buy a gun if I see you carrying. :eek:

Last pawn shop I went into said no LOADED weapons. I'm sure that was meant for those who were pawning them, not those of us who were carrying them so I paid it no mind.

j4l

Clarify- are they against Open Carry overall? Or Open Carry inside their shop?
Ironic though it may seem for a owner of a gun-store to not want you to open carry, consider the safety angle.
Just because some clown has the $$ to buy himself a shootin iron, doesnt mean he know's how to safely handle the thing.

Recent example-local gun shop I was in to get some ammo, some other clown came in to get some service or other performed on his Springfield. The guy at the counter asked the guy to clear the weapon,and lock the slide back for him before he handled it.
The gun owner didnt seem to know how. In his fumbling BANG. A/D onto the counter.

If it were me, I'd rather not assume every bonehead with a right to a gun, knows what the heck he's doing with that gun.

Last edited:

crashnjax

I have ran into several in my area and almost all the local Pawn shops are just like the Gun shops, They claim they are backing the Second Amendment Rights and back all Gun ownership and their rights, But most in Citrus County are against any and all "Open Carry"... This shocked me as it seems like they would like to see some change to direct more sales from Gun owners... My friends and neighbors told me of several more in Hernando County that are against it as well..

I know http://www.jaxgreenacres.com AKA Green Acres on Normandy Blvd, Jacksonville, FL is ok with CW, but open carry the would preferr it to be unloaded.

crashnjax

Well, I might not buy a gun if I see you carrying. :eek:

Last pawn shop I went into said no LOADED weapons. I'm sure that was meant for those who were pawning them, not those of us who were carrying them so I paid it no mind.

i think and it has been my opinion to respect business owners, that if they state "No Loaded weapons" that just merely means to unload your weapon before entering. You should be able to understand that for a pawn shop especially. Dont want to be robbed.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't understand for the pawn shop. I do at first, but then I have to remind myself: Oh yeah, if someone is going to rob it, they're going to rob it. They're not going to go to the door and go "oh hot damn, I have to unload my gun."

Last edited:

j4l

I dont tend to frequent PawnShops myself, so dunno. But I'd like to think that even the most cracked-out potential robbers would be smart enough to resist trying to rob most gun shops and pawn shops..

Rick H

i think and it has been my opinion to respect business owners, that if they state "No Loaded weapons" that just merely means to unload your weapon before entering. You should be able to understand that for a pawn shop especially. Dont want to be robbed.

You should be able to understand that for a pawn shop especially. Dont want to be robbed.

And having a Honest law abiding citizen unload their gun is going to keep a would-be Criminal that is going to rob them safe HOW?
In Brandon I talk to them and explained that if their customers were armed and they get robbed we might just save their lives and they now have no objections to having loaded gun in their stores.

mister45

Ironic though it may seem for a owner of a gun-store to not want you to open carry, consider the safety angle.
Just because some clown has the $$ to buy himself a shootin iron, doesnt mean he know's how to safely handle the thing.

Recent example-local gun shop I was in to get some ammo, some other clown came in to get some service or other performed on his Springfield. The guy at the counter asked the guy to clear the weapon,and lock the slide back for him before he handled it.
The gun owner didnt seem to know how. In his fumbling BANG. A/D onto the counter.

If it were me, I'd rather not assume every bonehead with a right to a gun, knows what the heck he's doing with that gun.

No the two that I questioned actually said they felt "Open Carry" was wrong, They said they believed that it was down right dangerous and should be banned... Not talking about in their shops, In general, In the public..

mister45

I will unload my weapon when he determines that I have one... I always conceal well and never tell anyone I have one.

Kingfish

Same argument the antis have against permitless carry....Or carry in general.

If I had a business dealing with firearms, the sign would read something like:
"Lawfully carried firearms must remain holstered at all times. All other firearms must be unloaded."

j4l

No the two that I questioned actually said they felt "Open Carry" was wrong, They said they believed that it was down right dangerous and should be banned... Not talking about in their shops, In general, In the public..

Ah, then I stand corrected. Or clarified, at least.

j4l

Same argument the antis have against permitless carry....Or carry in general.

If I had a business dealing with firearms, the sign would read something like:
"Lawfully carried firearms must remain holstered at all times. All other firearms must be unloaded."

Anti-anythings will debate the color of the sky,and use whatever excuses they can come up with to do so.Easily de-bunked by anyone with common-sense.
However, we are dealing with firearms. Not tennis shoes or gold clubs.
Life and death can result. To assume every bonehead around you with a gun knows how to safely/properly handle one is begging Murphy to come beat you to a pulp.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
One local gun store owner told me, months ago, that this bill would never pass, and also claimed that if so drying like this were to ever become law, it would be quickly repealed because it would be abused in cities like Miami (ex-cop).

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member

Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's and various other national chain places have a similar statement to this in any of the stores where open and concealed carry are acceptable. Generally nobody blinks when someone carries an openly holstered firearm into their store.

sharkey

No discharge barrel outside means no unloading for me.

PT111

Just to clarify, this happened while you were in there?!!!!!

I agree totally that it is not a good assumption at all that everyone carrying a gun around knows what the heck they are doing with it. Does anyone have a solution to make sure that before a person gets a gun that they know which end of it the bullet comes out. There are a lot of gun owners that don't seem to know even that much about it.