• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Weapon / Firearm Applications Distributed (2011)

seminoles1999

I noticed a substantial increase during last 3 months does anyone know why? Wasn't SB 234 (Introduced Dec. 10) maybe they thought SB 234 was an "open carry" bill.

Note: only 2 other occasions i saw a big rise in the 40 thousand range was (Nov 2008) (election of obama) & Oct. 2001 (month after sep 11 attack NYC)

Concealed Weapon / Firearm Applications Distributed (July 2001 - Jun 2011)

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_app_dist.html

Last edited:

j4l

A couple of different reasons, I think:
1) lots of folks WANT to carry. they just dont want to be restricted to CC as the means of doing so. Hence, a lot of folks just dont bother,if they are only going to be CC.
With the announcement of this bill, and almost everyone being led to believe it was intended for Open Carry, once the word got out people started applying for their permits in anticipation..hmm est. 180,000+ disgruntled voters?

2) crime in a lot of areas -despite what the sheriff's offices are saying- is getting more violent-blame the economy or whatever u need to. folks are feeling a need to arm up.

Rich7553

A couple of different reasons, I think:
1) lots of folks WANT to carry. they just dont want to be restricted to CC as the means of doing so. Hence, a lot of folks just dont bother,if they are only going to be CC.
With the announcement of this bill, and almost everyone being led to believe it was intended for Open Carry, once the word got out people started applying for their permits in anticipation..hmm est. 180,000+ disgruntled voters?

2) crime in a lot of areas -despite what the sheriff's offices are saying- is getting more violent-blame the economy or whatever u need to. folks are feeling a need to arm up.

Nah! It is a response to those scary biker photos the Orange County Sheriff's Office gave the Senators and talked about in the Senate Judicary Committee meeting on SB 234.

seminoles1999

CCW applications dropped in half in April compared to the last 3 months , guess they heard "Open Carry" wasn't gonna make it.

April - 29,164

Licenses Issued: 1,976,774

---------------------------------------

Current Chart

07-01-2010 - 06-30-2011

July - 29.741
Aug - 30,748
Sep - 26,386
Oct - 23, 162
Nov - 25,326
Dec - 23,897
Jan - 41,601
Feb - 43,483
Mar - 47,086

Apr - 29,164
May -
Jun -

Source: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_app_dist.html

Wow about 60,000 more than normal in 3 months thats a lot of money for ccw classes (est. 45.00), license permit fees (117.00) and probably more gun sales (3-500.00 per gun), altogether that's alot of money in 3 months for somebody.

Last edited:

BountyXP

It's sort of mind boggling that since January 1st of 2011, the State of Florida has collected $18,876,078.00 in CCW application fees. It has pumped at least another $7,260,030 into local economies for CCW permit classes (at $45 a class and in some cases more). Add in the resulting handgun sales...let's say one handgun a piece at $400...and that's another $64,533,600 plus any applicable sales taxes on the guns, ammo, accessories, etc. There's also all the fees paid to police departments for fingerprints, FDLE for forms/appeals/etc and you have a TON of money from tens of thousands of citizens with NO VOICE in the legislature.

Kind of sad...

seminoles1999

It's sort of mind boggling that since January 1st of 2011, the State of Florida has collected $18,876,078.00 in CCW application fees. It has pumped at least another $7,260,030 into local economies for CCW permit classes (at $45 a class and in some cases more). Add in the resulting handgun sales...let's say one handgun a piece at $400...and that's another $64,533,600 plus any applicable sales taxes on the guns, ammo, accessories, etc. There's also all the fees paid to police departments for fingerprints, FDLE for forms/appeals/etc and you have a TON of money from tens of thousands of citizens with NO VOICE in the legislature.

Kind of sad...

I guess the state & gun shop owners weren't making enough money to pass the bill.