Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Parking Lot Bill Has Passed!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, ,
    Posts
    181

    Parking Lot Bill Has Passed!

    And it's being prepared for signature by the Governor.

    It's really a shame that this won't apply to civilian workers that have to work on military installations (that really chaps my hide).
    Last edited by jsimmons; 05-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Excellent. I think that I remember the scuttlebut echoing that there was too much resistance against this bill for it to have much of a chance. Maybe I'm mistaken......

    Isn't the same thing being rumored about HB 2756 -that it "will never pass" because......

    The right to carry has strong support in this Legislature.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    And it's being prepared for signature by the Governor.

    It's really a shame that this won't apply to civilian workers that have to work on military installations (that really chaps my hide).

    I'm glad it passed but it won't protect teachers either.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by jecsd1 View Post
    I'm glad it passed but it won't protect teachers either.
    Why not? I thought it defined "premiss" as inside of a building, gates and parking garages don't count.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, ,
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Why not? I thought it defined "premiss" as inside of a building, gates and parking garages don't count.
    Teachers are in fact still prohibited from keeping a gun in their car if parked on school grounds.

  6. #6
    Regular Member pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    185
    It was passed with a floor amendment. It won't reach the governor until the Senate adopts the house version or a conference committee resolves the two versions.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    92
    Teachers WITH A CHL can LEGALLY keep a firearm in their vehicles but it will likely result in termination if discovered.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by jecsd1 View Post
    Teachers WITH A CHL can LEGALLY keep a firearm in their vehicles but it will likely result in termination if discovered.
    I just try to focus on the fact that the Texas Constitution guarantees every citizen the right to keep and bear arms in lawful defense, and the Second Amendment gurantees the individual the right to do the same "in case of confrontation".

    I recall - from fuzzy memory that section 42.01 defines the disorderly conduct speech offense as "abusive, vulgar, (perhaps profane)" language spoken in public (something about) inciting violence - as a criminal abuse of the First Amendment.

    I think government must be very careful about undertaking regulation of guaranteed reserved RIGHTS of the citizens. There are plenty of circumstances when I could personnaly make some pretty profane vocal utterances. Would I still be committing a "crime" ? Depends on the what I was responding to - I guess.

    Predatory crime IS RAMPANT in the U.S. Thousands of habitual violent felons are released back on to the streets of America every day. They are virtually unemployable. Would any of US hire one of them ?

    So HOW do they survive - if so few employers hire them ? They get into purse snatching, auto theft, burglary, robbery, and of course drug trafficing.

    Every law-abiding citizen is CONSTANTLY 24/7 - AT RISK - because these people are among us. Most law-abiding folks don't venture out after the sun goes down - because these predatory opportunists infest the parking lots, sidewalks, and shadows of every community.

    Meanwhile we tolerate "laws" that cripple the law-abiding citizen's ability to defend themselves against such predators.

    Call me a "Socialist" on this one -the government (US) is going to have to offer GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT these people in some productive manner - OR keep them behind bars.
    It cost money to keep them behind bars, and states have budgetary threshholds for funding incarceration - including Texas.

    I think most intelligent people - and even Legislators - appreciate this dilema.

    I see these folks with little or no future every day right here in Arlington.

    They hit me up for money at Krogers, Walgreens, wherever.

    We - as a society_ have to come up with a better way of dealing with this problem - starting in the public schools where most of this delinquent behavior starts.

    I rant - again.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    Call me a "Socialist" on this one -the government (US) is going to have to offer GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT these people in some productive manner - OR keep them behind bars.
    It cost money to keep them behind bars, and states have budgetary threshholds for funding incarceration - including Texas.
    We - as a society_ have to come up with a better way of dealing with this problem
    IMHO - If a convicted criminal is deemed to be a "continuing violent threat to the general public", then there is no point in attempting rehabilitation nor in keeping him behind bars indefinitely. Just put them down like the dogs they are. The state should have a cap on the death row time line and appeals attempts / time line and should be immune from prosecution or civil suit for such executions. That said, there should be no reason that executions cost so damned much. 365 days after conviction - One .40 S&W JHP $0.50. Done deal.

    </soapbox>

  10. #10
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by pmg2010 View Post
    IMHO - If a convicted criminal is deemed to be a "continuing violent threat to the general public", then there is no point in attempting rehabilitation nor in keeping him behind bars indefinitely. Just put them down like the dogs they are. The state should have a cap on the death row time line and appeals attempts / time line and should be immune from prosecution or civil suit for such executions. That said, there should be no reason that executions cost so damned much. 365 days after conviction - One .40 S&W JHP $0.50. Done deal.

    </soapbox>
    You place an astounding amount of trust in the U.S. Criminal Justice system. One might say a stupefying amount. I might even say a stupid amount. Okay, you got me, I do. I find the mentality you've evinced detestable.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705
    Originally Posted by pmg2010
    IMHO - If a convicted criminal is deemed to be a "continuing violent threat to the general public", then there is no point in attempting rehabilitation nor in keeping him behind bars indefinitely. Just put them down like the dogs they are. The state should have a cap on the death row time line and appeals attempts / time line and should be immune from prosecution or civil suit for such executions. That said, there should be no reason that executions cost so damned much. 365 days after conviction - One .40 S&W JHP $0.50. Done deal.
    I agree, there is a significant number of people still stealing oxygen from the planet who will serve no purpose other than their own sick desires at the expense of those living lawful lives. Unfortunately some of them aren't just in the criminal justice system. Some of them hold public offices, both elected and appointed. Some of them are the very lawyers that keep parasites alive by prolonging their inevitable and justified executions. On only one point do I disagree, the use of a .40 S&W round. It's simply an extra cost. A rope was commonly used during the writing of The Constitution, therefore it's not "cruel or unusual". Plus a rope can be used over and over if it's properly maintained. Save the ammo.

    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    You place an astounding amount of trust in the U.S. Criminal Justice system. One might say a stupefying amount. I might even say a stupid amount. Okay, you got me, I do. I find the mentality you've evinced detestable.
    One might find your response reactionary. I might even say a kneejerk liberal reaction, screw it I think it's regurgitated moonbat programming. I find your contempt for our justice system repugnant. Granted there have been people executed due to judicial malpractice, these numbers represent an infinitesimal fraction of all executions, and they've only happened because there are no repercussions for the prosecutors who do not pursue justice, they pursue convictions. That may need to be changed, as well as the light sentences for people convicted without a shadow of doubt on their guilt.

    Even with these faults, I want someone to show me a better system. If you were ever falsely charged, and I have been, where else would you prefer your case to be adjudicated? Most of us here would likely find ourselves facing charges that bed wetting leftists promote. Would you like to be charged for shooting a convicted rapist who broke into your house here, or in the UK?

    Say what you like about our system, but I agree with pmg2010. There are so many absolute parasites being fed by us in prisons that will never be "rehabilitated", and are without a doubt guilty of their crimes. It's one of the reasons why it is important for those of us who wish to live our lives peacefully, carry in order to preserve that right. The more frequently we cure those who suffer from "Accute Victim Selection Failure", the better society will be. AVSF is a terrible illness, but the cure is not incarceration.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Now its up to Rick Perry to sign this legislation into LAW-lets see how long that takes-NEXT "OPEN CARRY". C'mon lets get it DONE!!!!!

  13. #13
    Regular Member pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Rick View Post
    Now its up to Rick Perry to sign this legislation into LAW-lets see how long that takes-NEXT "OPEN CARRY". C'mon lets get it DONE!!!!!
    Thanks for bringing this back on topic by the way


    As long as the senate concurs with the house amendments there's no reason for us to care what the governor thinks or does. It got a 2/3 vote in both chambers.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Thanks for bringing this back on topic by the way


    As long as the senate concurs with the house amendments there's no reason for us to care what the governor thinks or does. It got a 2/3 vote in both chambers.
    Quite true, just want to see if Perry will keep his word! Very important in my book. Oh, and You're Welcome.
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 05-08-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: additional script

  15. #15
    Regular Member pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    185
    The Senate has refused the House amendments & has requested a conference committee.

    Click here for more info (scroll to the bottom of the topic)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    233
    It has passed and been signed. The Law will go into effect on 01 SEPTEMBER 2011. The Law states Concealed Carry Licensed people-but it is a BEGINNING.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •