• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Frankilin County, VA from their Code of Conduct re parks/rec/sportsmanship

Revolver

First Posting...

Hi Everyone, I've been looking at this site for some time now and have finally decided to join and post to the forums.

I am a resident of Franklin County, VA and the interpretation by Jim Jefferson, my counties attorney, troubles me because I believe he is clearly either giving incorrect legal interpretation of the law or Michael Burnette never spoke to Jim Jefferson and hopes a quick email will be taken as the truth and the matter not brought up again. (That's how it works with so many things in my county. I promise I won't get started on building permits:banghead:)

Of course, Jim Jefferson could be anti-OC or anti-gun altogether, therefore giving incorrect legal advise to county employees based on personal beliefs and not actual State Law. I too would like to know what statute expressly authorizes this ordinance. If there actually is a statute that expressly authorizes this ordinance I will gladly stand corrected and then work to have the statute removed from law.

Here is Jim Jefferson's contact information...

James B. Jefferson
5 E. Court St. #101
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
(540) 483-7475

Last edited:

TFred

Hi Everyone, I've been looking at this site for some time now and have finally decided to join and post to the forums.

I am a resident of Franklin County, VA and the interpretation by Jim Jefferson, my counties attorney, troubles me because I believe he is clearly either giving incorrect legal interpretation of the law or Michael Burnette never spoke to Jim Jefferson and hopes a quick email will be taken as the truth and the matter not brought up again. (That's how it works with so many things in my county. I promise I won't get started on building permits:banghead:)

Of course, Jim Jefferson could be anti-OC or anti-gun altogether, therefore giving incorrect legal advise to county employees based on personal beliefs and not actual State Law. I too would like to know what statute that expressly authorizes this ordinance. If there actually is a statute that expressly authorizes this ordinance I will gladly stand corrected and then work to have the statute removed from law.

James B. Jefferson
5 E. Court St. #101
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
(540) 483-7475
Welcome to OCDO!

Of course there is no statue that authorizes this local ordinance*. We could speculate all day on why the attorney responded as he did... but yes, apparently more pressure will be needed.

TFred

* If there was, then every anti-gun city/county/town in the state would have such laws, and the preemption statute would be worthless.

Last edited:

Marco

Of course, Jim Jefferson could be anti-OC or anti-gun altogether, therefore giving incorrect legal advise to county employees based on personal beliefs and not actual State Law. I too would like to know what statute expressly authorizes this ordinance. If there actually is a statute that expressly authorizes this ordinance I will gladly stand corrected and then work to have the statute removed from law.

James B. Jefferson
5 E. Court St. #101
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
(540) 483-7475

Welcome to OCDO.

As a Franklin county res you might consider contacting the park dir and the City Atty and express your concerns.
I'm not a res. of that county nor do I plan to be one, but I view this as a problem.

IMHO, I believe when these things are discovered all freedom loving citizens should contact the offfending public servant/s and express our displeasure, especially when they are slow to act or knowingly drag their feet.

Sent: Thu 5/19/11 7:48 AM
To: mburnette@franklincountyva.org
Cc: chapgood@franklincountyva.org; ehunt@franklincountyva.org; larrymoore@franklincountyva.org; rhuff@franklincountyva.org

Mr Burnette,

I appreciate you getting back to me.
Since you didn't provide me with Mr. Jefferson's email and I can't seem to find one on Frankiln Counties website could you please pose this question to him or forward our emails to him.

I would simply ask him to cite the statute that expressly authorizes the counties ordinance.

Taken from 15.2-915:
"A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, ... governing the ... carrying ... of firearms ... other than those expressly authorized by statute."

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

A link to 15.2-915 is provided.

Thanks,
Marco

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here you go Marco:

Since you didn't provide me with Mr. Jefferson's email and I can't seem to find one on Frankiln Counties website could you please pose this question to him or forward our emails
jeffersonbjames@yahoo.com

James B Jefferson Attorney,

Barry James Jefferson
5 E Court Street # 101
Rocky Mount, VA 24151-1761 map

About James B Jefferson Attorney

James B Jefferson Attorney in Rocky Mount, VA is a private company categorized under Legal Services. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of less than $500,000 and employs a staff of approximately 1 to 4. Companies like James B Jefferson Attorney usually offer: Ip Attorneys, Law Offices, Attorneys At Law, Divorce Law Firm and General Practice Attorneys.

Last edited:

Marco

Subject: RE: parks and rec
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 13:39:48 -0400
To: ispyonsincity@hotmail.com
CC: CHapgood@franklincountyva.org; ehunt@franklincountyva.org; larrymoore@franklincountyva.org; rhuff@franklincountyva.org

Mr. M –

I forwarded your email to Mr. Jefferson and then followed up with a telephone conversation. His opinion as relayed to me has not changed. He asked me to send you his contact information so that you could talk to him directly on this matter. He can be reached at 540-483-7475. If I can be of any further help, please let me know. Thanks.

Mike

Michael Burnette
Director
Commerce & Leisure Services
County of Franklin, Virginia
1255 Franklin Street
Rocky Mount, Virginia 24151
540.483.3030 (office)
www.franklincountyva.org

Got this email.
I will contact the attorney via email.

nuc65

Activist Member
I'm only guessing here, but it seems that it would strengthen the argument if there was some case law to back up our arguments. Is there, that anyone knows of, any case law where a person has had a summary judgment with a settlement amount?

TFred

I'm only guessing here, but it seems that it would strengthen the argument if there was some case law to back up our arguments. Is there, that anyone knows of, any case law where a person has had a summary judgment with a settlement amount?
I don't think it's ever come to that... apparently we've found the first idiot county attorney who can't read a law... ;)

TFred

MSC 45ACP

I don't think it's ever come to that... apparently we've found the first idiot county attorney who can't read a law... ;)

TFred

Not the first county lawyer that can't read or understand laws (see Skidmark & Surry County), and probably not the last... They definitely need educatin' though!